Tactical Parrot Early Warning System

This is a discussion on Tactical Parrot Early Warning System within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have an amazon blue front. He's the best watch dog anyone would ever want. Someone or something comes in the yard or house, he ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tactical Parrot Early Warning System

I have an amazon blue front. He's the best watch dog anyone would ever want. Someone or something comes in the yard or house, he will squack and carry on at the top of his lungs. He always alerted us when the neighbors cat came in our yard as well.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its been told to me often that a goose is one of the best watch critters you can have.... I guess this isnt to far from that
    I can vouch for that! Several years ago, I went to a friend’s place and was chased clean out of his yard by a PO'ed goose! That flippen thing bit hard, darn near crippled me with its wings and I'm embarrassed to say, it kicked my butt!

That goose was very lucky I didn’t carry back in those days I tell ya!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Geese and Peacocks make excellent watch animals.

When I lived in the country we had several geese and a neighbor down the road had Peacocks & Peahens...

If anyone saw the movie "Midnight Express" you'll remember they used Peacocks in the yard area at night in the Turkish Prison to help alert them if the prisoners were out straying around.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Cats are freeloading squatters. The only use I can see for a cat is target practice and hat making.

Parrots are great, though. Didn't think of them as guards, either.
    With my education and work experience, I deal with animals on a daily basis. I don't condone animal cruelty, I hope that's a joke.

We don't have cats for home protection, but ours are wary of visitors and anytime there's a strange noise or door opening ours go on alert. They hear a lot better than me; when I see them alert I go check it out, and they're always right. That alert system of theirs and the fact I havent seen a rodent around here in years earns their keep.

IMO cats (and most animals) are extremely intelligent within a narrow field. No reading, writing or arithmetic for them, but smart in matters of survival, food, shelter, and friends.

I agree with the goose and peacocks, BTW another "yard bird" that is effective is a Guinea.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Geese and Peacocks make excellent watch animals.

When I lived in the country we had several geese and a neighbor down the road had Peacocks & Peahens...

If anyone saw the movie "Midnight Express" you'll remember they used Peacocks in the yard area at night in the Turkish Prison to help alert them if the prisoners were out straying around.
    My old boss had peacocks however. They lasted about a week. Foxes and coyotes kept making mince meat out of em...
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Here is one of my watch parrots, but I'll still keep the 2 tactical 75+ pound labs barking at the door!!

I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its been told to me often that a goose is one of the best watch critters you can have.... I guess this isnt to far from that
    Getting a Goose would certainly wake me up!

I visited a private home near Bangkok Thailand where the owner had two geese. He said everyone in the suburbs get geese because Cobra Snakes would not come into a yard where there were geese. (He said Cobra's couldn't stand goose poop.)

So not only will they alert you to burglars, I bet you won't find any cobras in your yard either.

A burglar enterred a house at night and proceeded to empty the family's silver from the china cabinet. Suddenly, out of the darkness a voice declared "Jesus is watching you!" Startled, the BG stopped, shone his flashlight around, but saw no one.

After he calmed down he went back to his dirty deeds but was soon interruped again by the same voice: "Jesus is watching you." He stopped and again looked around, this time discovering the homeowner's pet parrot perched in a corner of the room.

"Were you talking to me?" he asked the bird.
    "Yes" the parrot replied.
    "Have you got a name?"
    "My name is Willard."
    "Well, that's a stupid name for a parrot! Who's the fool that named you Willard?"
    "The same fool who named the Rottweiler Jesus!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links