Montgomery Al., Couple finds burglar-makes him clean up

This is a discussion on Montgomery Al., Couple finds burglar-makes him clean up within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303429,00.html Alabama Couple Catches Burglar, Make Him Clean Up at Gunpoint Thursday, October 18, 2007 MONTGOMERY, Ala. — A burglar in Montgomery chose the wrong ...

Thread: Montgomery Al., Couple finds burglar-makes him clean up

Montgomery Al., Couple finds burglar-makes him clean up

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303429,00.html

Alabama Couple Catches Burglar, Make Him Clean Up at Gunpoint
    Thursday, October 18, 2007

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — A burglar in Montgomery chose the wrong family to mess with, literally.

Adrian and Tiffany McKinnon returned to their Centennial Hill home Tuesday after a week away to find that thieves had emptied almost everything the family of five owned, Tiffany McKinnon said through tears.

"Tears just rolled down my face as I walked in and saw everything gone and piles of trash all over my home," she said.

Adrian McKinnon sent his wife to see her sister while he inspected the piles left behind. As he walked back into the sunroom, a man walked through the back door straight into him, Tiffany McKinnon told the Montgomery Advertiser in a story Thursday.

"My husband Adrian caught the thief red-handed in our home," she said. "And what is even crazier, the man even had my husband's hat sitting right on his head."

Adrian McKinnon held the suspect, 33-year-old Tajuan Bullock, at gunpoint and told him to sit on the floor until he decided what to do.

"We made this man clean up all the mess he made, piles of stuff, he had thrown out of my drawers and cabi-nets onto the floor," Tiffany McKinnon said.

When police arrived, Bullock complained about being forced to clean the home at gunpoint.

"This man had the nerve to raise sand about us making him clean up the mess he made in my house," she said. "The police officer laughed at him when he complained and said anybody else would have shot him dead."

Capt. Huey Thornton, a police spokesman, said police arrested Bullock at 2 p.m. Tuesday on burglary and theft charges. He was being held in the Montgomery County Detention Facility on a $30,000 bond.

"The victims were lucky in this case to be able to catch the suspect in the act and hold him until police arrived," Thornton said.

He said the case was unusual because generally burglars act while the homeowner is away and are in and out fast so they can quickly sell the stolen items.

The couple said they chose to rent the Ross Street home because it was a quiet place for their three young children to play outside. Turns out it was a bit too quiet — most of the homes near theirs are vacant.

"We don't have any neighbors to help watch our house because it's like a ghost town here except when the church is meeting across the street," Tiffany McKinnon told the Advertiser Wednesday.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I hope they get the rest of their stuff back.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    Last edited by pgrass101; October 19th, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

"We made this man clean up all the mess he made, piles of stuff, he had thrown out of my drawers and cabi-nets onto the floor," Tiffany McKinnon said.

When police arrived, Bullock complained about being forced to clean the home at gunpoint.
    Yet further proof that criminals live by a completely skewed moral compass. And proof this dolt is stupid as a box of dust bunnies, that he would (apparently) prefer death over being forced to clean up after himself in someone else's home.

The homeowners sound enlightened to me. 100% cleanup of the mess they've made SHOULD be the part of the punishment for every criminal act, under all circumstances.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Sorry for the deletions.
    You all know how one fairly innocent comment magically morphs and turns into many comments & then it all gets out of hand and the focus shifts away from the real meat of the story.
    In addition...I honestly do not see how the race of the burglars or the race of the homeowner couple is in any way relevant to the scenario.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator

What SHOULD The Real Focus Of This Story BE? You Ask?

The focus should be...Would you personally force potentially dangerous known criminals to clean up their giant mess in your home?

How totally dumb is that?

My opinion is that even if you are holding thugs at gunpoint - a hardened "street wise" criminal can find numerous opportunities to attempt to take you right out of the game for good.

My opinion is that a homeowner should never "play" prison work detail leader. That is an extremely poor idea.

Your thoughts?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    I would have blasted him when he walked back in the house or at least made him go prone and hold him there until the Police arrived.

The police told the burglar that most people would have shot him when he complained to them about his forced servitude.

I have heard that he was roughed up a little by the home owner. This is third hand I was talking to a forsenic guy at a Bureau of Clinical Lab lunch today and he related what an officer told him.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Yeah if he caught me off guard in the house, he would have died from lead poisoning. But, I really do like this homeowners response. Reminds me of something my parents would have done.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    Hummm... prolly not the smartest thing to do, having him clean up, but it sure does make for a great story.

Maybe they should have kept the fool for a few days and got the house painted too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I agree with the aspect of potential 'danger' during the 'clean-up time'. Someone in my home will immediately create a 'feared for my life' response..."Nuff said!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't call the police just yet Ma the house needs a second coat of paint.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Maybe he should have made the pos clean the house--then shot him.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

My opinion is that a homeowner should never "play" prison work detail leader. That is an extremely poor idea.

Your thoughts?
    Extremely foolish and dangerous.

I agree that it was foolish and dangerous to put him to work. The BG could have had armed partners outside. But what a great story!

Links