Lawton, OK Man Shoots Burglar Dead

This is a discussion on Lawton, OK Man Shoots Burglar Dead within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There have been a lot of recent burglaries in the NW part of Lawton and in the county just west of Lawton where we live. ...

Thread: Lawton, OK Man Shoots Burglar Dead

Lawton, OK Man Shoots Burglar Dead

There have been a lot of recent burglaries in the NW part of Lawton and in the county just west of Lawton where we live. The shooter does have an OK CCW permit. Another Lawton burglar was shot in the neck not long ago, he survived.

There is a lot more in the print edition of today's Lawton Constitution. The shooter lawyered up right away: Smart move. The lawyer stated that the resident trturned home and found the burglar coming out of his house with a gun bag and other items.

The resident told the burglar to lie on the ground while he, the home owner, called the police on his cell phone. The burglar jumped up, came at the man and was shot. He jumped up and lunged at the man again and was killed. 911 has it all on tape.

Note that the Lawton Constitution gave the mans home address.

http://www.swoknews.com/main.asp?Sec...ubSectionID=98

"Burglary suspect shot dead
    Lawton Police Department detectives are investigating the shooting death of a burglary suspect at a home in northwest Lawton Tuesday.

An attorney for the man who shot the suspect is calling the shooting justified, saying his client feared for his safety.

LPD Capt. Will Hines said the resident, who has not been identified by police, saw the suspect in the home located at 1701 NW 70th.

Deputy Chief James D. Apple said that a shooting call came into the department slightly after 1:30 p.m. He said a confrontation occured between the resident and suspect at which time shots were fired. The suspect, who also was not identifed pending notification of next of kin, sustained gunshot wounds and died, Apple said.

Hines said detectives were interviewing witnesses Tuesday afternoon. He said the witnesses were cooperating and that should make the investigation go quickly.

Apple said the results of the investigation will be taken to the district attorney, which is standard for all shootings.

Hines said the shooting was the first of this type this year. He said such shootings are not very common."

2. Remove Ads

I this home owner..., and thank him for the huge taxpayer savings...

NEXT...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I think it's irresponsible and wrong though for the paper to list the address of the shooter.
    I just hope that no one, such as a brother or friend of the BG that wants to 'get back' at the shooter for killing the BG.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Freedom of Information act..still not right that the paper print that address..who's side are they on?

The name of the homeowner and shooter is Kenneth Dorrell. Mr. Dorrell's lawyer does the talking to the media. He has about the best lawyer in town. Do not expect that Mr. Dorrell he will be indicted.

The Lawton Constipation needs to get sued for putting out folks addresses like this. Their sister radio station pulled the same crap this evening. Will get on the phone tomorrow morning and ruin at least two peoples day.

From today's Lawton Constitution:

http://daily.lawton-constitution.com...9703&AppName=1

Comanche county DA Robert Schulte declined to file charges in this case. No grand jury, no trial. Unlike many states; the DA's in OK have the option to not hold a grand jury.

Kenneth Dorrell is the son of the homeowner. He went to his Dad's place to turn off a computer.

The deceased burglar is Frederick Steuver, 17 years old; a Cache High School student. He was also enrolled in the VoTec firefighting course. The kid was 6'2" tall and weighed 180 pounds.

What was that dumb kid thinking of?
    Last edited by Sig 210; October 26th, 2007 at 05:42 PM.

AMH
    I live in Lawton and have noticed an increase in crime over the years. It is always regrettable when anybody is killed; however this homeowner did the right thing.

I know that these incidents can be traumatic for everyone involved. I hope the homeowner is at peace with the situation and I am thankful that no one else in our community was hurt.

No charges expected in fatal Commanche County shooting.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I this home owner..., and thank him for the huge taxpayer savings...

NEXT...
    +1 to that!
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I live in Bartlesville, about 2 hours north of Lawton and our crime has been getting worse and worse. It's amazing that the address was released. So, now the angry family can come after him. Thats about as dumb as another story where a woman blamed society for making her son break into houses. Then said the man homeowner that shot and killed him should be locked up. All i gotta say is try me. I don't now and have never looked for trouble, but if trouble comes lookin for me.....I gotta a Glock that says it should look the other way!
    God Bless America!!

VIP Member
    Good shot and smart man too... immediately got a lawyer!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links