Police Say Teen Intruder Shot By Neighbor,

This is a discussion on Police Say Teen Intruder Shot By Neighbor, within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; JACKSON, Miss. -- A 16-year-old was hospitalized Thursday after being shot by his neighbor. Police said it happened during an alleged home burglary on McDowell ...

Thread: Police Say Teen Intruder Shot By Neighbor,

Police Say Teen Intruder Shot By Neighbor,

JACKSON, Miss. -- A 16-year-old was hospitalized Thursday after being shot by his neighbor.

Police said it happened during an alleged home burglary on McDowell Park Circle in Jackson at about 9 a.m.

Family members identified the teen as Richard McCoy. He's being treated at Central Mississippi Medical Center for a gunshot wound to the torso.

Mark Nelson, 49, told police he heard rustling at his back door, then saw a man with his face covered and a knife in his hand standing in the hallway.

Nelson said he told the man to leave, but the man moved toward him. That's when Nelson said he fired the shot.

Police said McCoy ran back to his home and his mother called police.

News of the shooting surprised McCoy's uncle, who said the teen had never been in trouble.

"It's summertime, though," he said. "Kids don't have nothing to do -- they get into all kinds of stuff. But as far as I know, he was a good kid."

Officers took Nelson downtown for questioning but are not planning to file any charges.

Detectives found a knife in the house, and a white T-shirt they believe was used as the mask in Nelson's back yard.

2. Remove Ads

It never ceases to amaze me when adults stick up for idiots. First of all, I would never have done anything like this as my dad taught me right and wrong. Second, if I did do something this stupid, he would have hauled me to the police station in person and told them to throw the key away.

Boy you hate to read about thses things for a couple of reasons. A young guy with what in mind is risking his vey life and drawing his family into a hate on with another family over his stupidity. The guy that shot him is not going to feel very good about this at all. He will be in a high alert condition for a long time I am sure, every noise at night is going to bring on a shotgun and light. Over what???? It didn't sound like this was a place where people had all kinds of money but we never know.
    Sometimes kids do really stupid things that impact lives of others badly.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    Sometimes kids do really stupid things that impact lives of others badly.
    You are spot on with the comments. The shooter will suffer mentally for years to come. Did I need to shoot? Did the kid mean me harm? He will second guess himself for a long time.

Assistant Administrator
    I think it can often be forgotten, how with honest to goodness upstanding folks - the act of having shot someone - anyone - but a kid in particular, is gonna make for far from settled sleep.

I have zero wish to harm anyone - tho if push comes to shove for survival I would have to - but I do not relish necessarily having to live with it.. The fact that it was not directly of my choosing would help - circumstantial necessaity but - well, I am not out to prove anything and just wanna quit this rock naturally!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Is it just me, or is the ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION of the piece of trash burglar, being charged with anything? How about mentioning in the article that he was charged with burglary. How about mentioning that he is now in police custody while in the hospital and will transfered to jail the moment the doctors clear him. How about mentioning that he is a criminal, who acted as an adult, rather than mentioning that an older man shot him for his illegal and life threatening action.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Assistant Administrator
    How about mentioning that he is a criminal, who acted as an adult, rather than mentioning that an older man shot him for his illegal and life threatening action.
    Frankly SO - I fear this is what we can call these days ''media spin'' - or ''slant'', whatever you choose to describe the oft seen leftist perspective on such things.

It's no wonder we hardly ever see good reporting of legal and justified shootings - or even come to that the countless occasions when presentation of a firearm puts paid to an event with no shots fired.

The media is not our friend - only rarely.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Beenn bored many times, but I never went around breaking into houses.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Links