Memphis/Olive Branch carjacker shot, jailed (Merged) - Page 2

Memphis/Olive Branch carjacker shot, jailed (Merged)

This is a discussion on Memphis/Olive Branch carjacker shot, jailed (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Once the BG took the car and fled, the threat was gone. Following the car and then engaging the BG was unjustifiable as far as ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memphis/Olive Branch carjacker shot, jailed (Merged)

Once the BG took the car and fled, the threat was gone. Following the car and then engaging the BG was unjustifiable as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by fairway1; October 30th, 2007 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Had to add something

The threat was gone and yet he pursued the suspect because he was angry. He then lost his self control, and he goes against a guy with a shotgun! IMHO He is nuts! (and dangerous)

I don't see that scenario playing out very well for Mr. gray.

Huge mistake on Gray's part. Chasing him over state lines (even though Olive Branch is a suburb of Memphis) was pretty dumb.

Had he been carrying, may have been able to resolve the issue in the driveway.

Civil suit coming no doubt.

Senior Moderator
    Personally, I don't think the guy is nuts, I don't think he is "dangerous",nor do I think that he is a "vigilante" or an "ass" and it is quite interesting to me to see these words used here on a pro gun forum. I am somewhat shocked and amazed at the sheeple mentality shown in some of the comments here.

First of all, the guy didn't start the fight...he ended it.

Second of all, when you attempt to car jack someone, or you point a shotgun or any kind of a weapon at someone, then whatever happens after that, you asked for it and I don't care what consequences you suffer for it.

The man recovered his moms property and caught a felon. Why should the manner in which he did it matter? Kudos to the guy for having the stones to do it while others would have chose inaction and lamented about how radical the guy was for not letting some perp get away with threatening to kill his mother.

Lets see...THUG takes vehicle by force, displaying a shotgun in a threatening manner. Acquires vehicle and leaves. Two felonies right there.

Shooter attempts to recover property, shoots at armed fleeing felon, felon ditches vehicle, shooter apprehends felon, orders felon down on the ground, felon makes a move toward him and gets shot.

Awwwwwwwww....aint that terrible.
    A few points here. We know that the perp is capable of using force as he has proved it. When he gets up and advances on the man holding a gun on him that has shot him at least once, are we expected NOT to shoot? I don't think so.

My only regret here is that the taxpayers will be out the room and board for quite some time. It would have been much cheaper for a funeral.

Eventually some of the thugs around there will figure that carjacking is a dangerous occupation.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

HotGuns +1

VIP Member
    Sheeple?

What Gray did was wrong from the moment he took pursuit! PERIOD! He acted like an ass!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Reading the first post of this without reading the Commercial Appeal article I was a bit hesitant about Gray's actions.

But reading the info in the article.

1 the perp stole the vehicle at gunpoint from Gray's home.
    2 Gray followed (unless he broke a traffic law, nothing wrong here)
    3 perp stopped and presented shotgun.
    4 Gray fired after seeing shotgun

Now that being said my mom is 81 now, God bless the person that would do this to her if I were near when it happened. Hopefully I wouldn't break any laws in the process.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    What Gray did was wrong from the moment he took pursuit! PERIOD! He acted like an ass!

I'd like to shake that mans hand. One more gangbangin punk off the street. At least he wont be robbing anyone elses Mom for awhile...till he gets off for "good behaviour" anyway.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Here's my take on this incident. I have mixed feeling on what Mr. Gray did. On the one hand, I can completely understand wanting to follow the scum bag who stuck a shotgun to the head of your mother. Believe me, I do not fault the guy for doing that. And in fact, he broke no law doing that.

Once the scum bag threatened him with said shotgun, he was 100% justified in shooting the scum bag. He has said through his lawyer that he was not shooting to kill, that he shot the scum bag in the leg just to stop him. So, good for him again even though I think shooting to wound is a bad idea and may well just get you killed.

But, I can also see the other side of this where folks think he should have just called the cops after the scum bag took off in Mom's car. After all, there was no threat to him or Mom at that point. He has said, again through his lawyer, that he wanted to stop the guy from getting someplace and committing more crimes against other citizens. That could hurt him in the long run as it can be construed by a lawyer who may well be suing him on behalf of the scum bag as him acting as a vigilante.

The update to all this for tonight is that the D.A. has determined that he broke no law and will not be charged with anything.

So, I guess that puts to rest the issue until the scum bag sues him for malicious injury in civil court.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I have to say he was out of line. This the type action is just what the antigun crowd loves to see. They think we are all gun toting nut jobs anyway.

The threat had left. He had to chase the bg down and thereby created a threat where one did not exist.

Castle Doctrine statutes give you the authority to stand your ground. They do not give you permission to chase the bg down and create a new situation.

Not sure whether TN has a Castle Doctrine statute, but it wouldn't enter into this anyway.

Senior Moderator
    The update to all this for tonight is that the D.A. has determined that he broke no law and will not be charged with anything.
    Thats about what I figured.

So, I guess that puts to rest the issue until the scum bag sues him for malicious injury in civil court.
    Does Tennesee have a law that prevents that from happening?

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I think some of you guys are paralyzed by what the anti-gun crowd will say. If you have that mentality you might leave your sidearm at home. You have built some serious lag time into your reaction of a crime being committed in your presence. Sometimes you just have to man up and go for it. I think Gray did the right thing.

If I saw some thug put a gun to my mother's head, takes her car, and I did nothing my daddy would reach out from his grave and dope slap me.

A CCP is not a license to stand by while bad people do bad things.

Senior Moderator
    Sometimes you just have to man up and go for it.

Amen to that. That was refreshing to read.

There ya have it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

The threat was over, no lives were in danger. There was no reason for hot persuit. You cannot use your firearm to protect property, only lives, or a sexual threat. (RAPE) Just quoting the law as North Carolina perceives it, and he ended up shooting his mothers windows out of her car that he was so-called protecting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links