Memphis/Olive Branch carjacker shot, jailed (Merged)

This is a discussion on Memphis/Olive Branch carjacker shot, jailed (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.wreg.com/global/story.asp?s=7283112 What concerns me is the last paragraph where the Shelby County DA will decide if charges will be filed against the good guy. This ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memphis/Olive Branch carjacker shot, jailed (Merged)

http://www.wreg.com/global/story.asp?s=7283112

What concerns me is the last paragraph where the Shelby County DA will decide if charges will be filed against the good guy. This started in north Mississippi and ended just inside Tennessee and it appears that at least some of the shooting did happen in TN, hence, the SC DA's involvement.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Don't you know, the criminals have rights! We have to give them a chance! Too bad Kieth didn't have better shot placement..I just hate scumbag thieves, don't you?

IMO said 'jacker' got what was needed. By law, what the lady's son did might be "not good". Chaseing down Bates, shooting at him while both are driving, then shooting him again.......
    That could go a number of diffrent directions, especially with two state juristitions involved(?)

Don't believe the citizien can persue a suspect......but can stop a forceable felony 'during'.....not after. The persuing aspect might hurt him.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Its moving out of the downtown area.

I have a sister that lives just off of Stateline in Olive Branch, and two that live in Bartlett.

From all accounts the crime is migrating out of the downtown area into the suburban areas pretty quickly up there.

Not sure about the specific laws in TN and MS, but the shooter might have a problem with his defense based on his actions.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I live very close to where this happened (in North MS), so have been bombarded by the various news accounts & local talk show commentaries. While I don't have a problem with what the son did, and I'm sure I'd be tempted to do the same were I in his shoes, he needs to be at the very least indicted. There is no way that getting into your own car, chasing down a carjacker for 3 miles, then shooting the carjacker, can possibly be considered "defensive".

Don't get me wrong - I wish the son was a better shot. (The carjacker got one in the leg and one in the hip.) To stick a shotgun in a 71 year old woman's face (or anyone else's face for that matter) in order to take her car pretty much ends your right to "life, liberty, & the pursuit of happiness" in my book. But the son clearly broke the law and has to be prosecuted.

Now, if we want to change the law to make it so that what he did is legal, then lets do so. But to ignore the law in this case makes us no better than the various "antis" who want to pretend the 2nd Amendment means something it doesn't. Let's be consistent. I definitely don't want to see the son get punished for doing the rest of us a favor by getting this punk off the streets, but our legal system can't be ignored either. Let's use this incident to get our local dimwits, er, politicians to change the laws to make it possible to do what the son here did without being prosecuted. But the laws as written now are pretty clear, and I think the prosecutor has to pursue this.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Update says shooter will NOT be charged.

He should play the lottery TODAY!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Update says shooter will NOT be charged.

He should play the lottery TODAY!

Maybe I can get him to buy me a Lotto ticket...

In TN we have a new Castle Doctrine Law that was passed in May 07. I do not think it would apply in this case except maybe that the shooter was defending his mom's property. Probably not. The SC DA is a no nonsense kinda guy that really likes getting the bad guys, so that definately helped his discision.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Carjacker shot in Memphis

Here is a link to an article in our Commercial Appeal on a CCW that chased down a carjacker and shot him in the leg. According to the article, no charges will be filed for the shooting of the perp. I was concerned because the way I understand our law here in TN, CCW is for self protection and this type of incident. I'm glad the law was on our side for once. Read the article and give your opinion.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...rged-shooting/

Last week we had an incident of road rage where a guy didn't move quick enough from a stop sign and 3 guys pursued and when the guy pulled over, they beat his door and broke out windows with a crow bar. He was able to get away but in watching the interview, the guy definitely wasn't carrying. Good thing those guys or too bad they didn't try this with one of the many of us now with CCW here in W TN.

Another good article on the incident

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-getting-away/

I don't really agree with what Mr. Gray did. In the article it states he chased the car down, sprayed it with bullets till it pull over at which time the thief began to walk toward him when Mr. Gray shot him in the leg. Nothing about this is defensive at all when you chase someone down, spray a car with lead, not to mention who else might get hit because of the random shots from the firearm. This has nothing to do with protection or defense and is a complete disregard for the law. Mr Gray is lucky, that no one else was hurt or injured in his vigilante style justice. We are citizens, not the law, and that must be remembered.

Keith Gray should be given a medal and a reward for saving the taxpayers the cost of mounting a manhunt for this thug.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    Well, sorry to say I think this guy Gray is an ass.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Depends on the law. In Florida you can shoot to prevent a forcible felony in progress, not just for self-defense. A thin line, but I would say the felony was still in progress as the BG was driving away.

It's certainly OK to follow the thug who pointed shotgun at woman and stole car, and I guess you guys mised the fact that the thug pointed a SHOTGUN at him clearly justifying shooting at the thug. Newspaper anti gunspeak "sprayed bullets" is just dumb and you should know better than to react to it. Nothing illegal was done by the good guy here. He might have been living on the edge of dangerous but there should be more courageous defenders of right.

+1 Alexander

That type of reporting by the Communist Appeal, the Memphis newspaper, is normal.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links