Armed Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Armed Home Invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.kpho.com/news/14505382/detail.html PHOENIX -- A homeowner shot one of three armed men who forced their way into his house overnight, Phoenix police said. The man, his ...

Thread: Armed Home Invasion

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Armed Home Invasion

http://www.kpho.com/news/14505382/detail.html

PHOENIX -- A homeowner shot one of three armed men who forced their way into his house overnight, Phoenix police said.

The man, his wife and their three children were sleeping in their home at 11th and Apache streets, just north of Interstate 17, when the three invaders barged into the house around 2:30 a.m. Saturday.

Police said one of the invaders, all of whom were armed with handguns and rifles, hit the homeowner in the head with a gun.

A scuffle ensued and several shots were fired. Police said the homeowner shot one of the invaders, but it was unclear whether he had his own gun or fired one of theirs.

The gunshots woke up the neighbors, who called police.

Officers arrived quickly and shot out the street lights and lights on the outside of the house so the invaders wouldn't be able to see well enough to escape.

Police caught the two uninjured invaders in the back yard; the third was taken to a hospital for treatment. Police said his injuries were not life-threatening.

The homeowner and his family were not hurt, according to police.

Investigators have not yet determined a motive for the invasion and said they don't know if the armed men knew the family.

First time I have ever heard of shooting out street lights and exterior home lighting.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    http://www.kpho.com/news/14505382/detail.html

PHOENIX -- A homeowner shot one of three armed men who forced their way into his house overnight, Phoenix police said.

The man, his wife and their three children were sleeping in their home at 11th and Apache streets, just north of Interstate 17, when the three invaders barged into the house around 2:30 a.m. Saturday.

Police said one of the invaders, all of whom were armed with handguns and rifles, hit the homeowner in the head with a gun.

A scuffle ensued and several shots were fired. Police said the homeowner shot one of the invaders, but it was unclear whether he had his own gun or fired one of theirs.

The gunshots woke up the neighbors, who called police.

Officers arrived quickly and shot out the street lights and lights on the outside of the house so the invaders wouldn't be able to see well enough to escape.

Police caught the two uninjured invaders in the back yard; the third was taken to a hospital for treatment. Police said his injuries were not life-threatening.

The homeowner and his family were not hurt, according to police.

Investigators have not yet determined a motive for the invasion and said they don't know if the armed men knew the family.

First time I have ever heard of shooting out street lights and exterior home lighting.
    they shot out the lights....yeooooowmore to come on this im sure.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post

Smart move, and SOP in a lot of areas on a high risk call.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Phoenix sounds a lot like Orlando...
    Glad the homeowner was not harmed...I wonder if he'll have to watch his back?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sad to hear the street lights got killed during this..think the cops need to lower their sights just a little...(tongue and cheek guys)..shame the injured BG will live another day to terrorize.
    Last edited by DrLewall; November 4th, 2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So where do the bullets go after they puncture the street lights and house lights?

Remember the LEO who recently shot a snake and ended up killing a child across the lake?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    i do not understand the street light thing at all. how can it be good for the police to create darkness when armed crooks are trying to escape? shooting in the dark in a neighborhood has got to be higher risk that shooting when you can identify your target, right? very confusing, but i am no expert in any sense.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So where do the bullets go after they puncture the street lights and house lights?
    I was wondering the exact same thing.
    Maybe they use an airrifle shooting pellets?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I don't know what exactly their S.O.P. is but if you have ever been on stage when the house lights go down and the stage lights come up you know how it works. If the cruisers light up the house and kill the other lights in the area the people inside are basically blind. All they would be able to see is the spot lights on the cruisers unless someone moved in front of one. Also typical window glass will reflect about 90% of the interior light back inside. So if the officers black out the exterior lighting and don't light up with their spotlights they have a lot of freedom of movement as long as they don't silhouette themselves or walk into the areas where the interior lights will illuminate them.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

"Remember the LEO who recently shot a snake and ended up killing a child across the lake?"

That happened in OK, of course. The LEO has been charged.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Smart move, and SOP in a lot of areas on a high risk call.

First I have ever heard of this and very interesting. I have heard of it being done during SWAT Operations but I did not realize it was SOP. I have to admit that I am very surprised any jurisdiction would create the amount of liability that is created when this is done.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm..............
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

As far as shooting out the lights they did not specify what they used to do this with (shotgun maybe?), as far as tactics it appears that by doing this will take away the back lighting of the officers thus making them less of a target.
    Deadly Force is Only Used to Save Your Life or a Life of Another.
    Anything else has non lethal options.
    Packing4Life

AMH
    I don’t know much about this kind of stuff. I do however work with the military and consequently get an opportunity to talk with soldiers on a regular basis.

I was talking with one guy who is a Ranger and he was telling me about different weapons and tools they commonly use. He mentioned using a .22. I was very surprised that such a formidable unit would be utilizing such a “week” caliber. He explained that it was used for shooting out lights, and killing dogs before they had a chance to bark, etc. I guess it is viewed as more of a tool than a weapon.

Perhaps the police use a .22 as well? Or maybe they use a .177? The .177 sounds like a good option. Many air rifles on the market are extraordinarily accurate, provide more than enough punch to knock out a street light, but have “low liability”.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Links