Had to draw my gun for the first time!

This is a discussion on Had to draw my gun for the first time! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Jesus told us in the Gospel; no greater gift a man has than to lay down his life for another. Have no doubt about it, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Had to draw my gun for the first time!

Jesus told us in the Gospel; no greater gift a man has than to lay down his life for another.
    Have no doubt about it, you did a very brave thing and you most likely saved an innocent person's life. Not to second guess your actions, but only to say what I would have done differently, I would have grabbed this:

instead of a handgun. I carry a concealed handgun daily because it's what I can carry without making everyone around me nervous but still have some degree of self-protection. But, if I was going into what I knew was an armed situation, and had something else at my disposal, I would want something which gave me the advantage over a BG armed with a handgun.

Thank you for being willing to risk your life to protect another and don't lose any more sleep over it. You did just fine.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Nice work! Get them shooting now! This is a great time to introduce the concept of self preparedness and self preservation.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Good work, and with a happy ending. The only thing that makes my hair stand up on end is that you're an armed guy at night walking around a house and 911 has been called to that address... when the cavalry arrives, who will they draw a bead on?

In LFI-1, they drilled into us that if you're the one calling 911, make sure you give them some means of identifying you, the good guy (e.g., six foot, bald white male wearing a tan jacket). When the cops show up, probably best NOT to have a gun in your hand...

But, bravo. You're the kind of guy I'd love to have as a neighbor.

Agreed Hoss...Mr. Shotgun is what I'd suggest and if I had the choice would bring to fore.

Good on ya Cub for being a helpful neighbor and citizen.

- Janq

"I have always been fond of the West African proverb: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.' "- Theodore Roosevelt
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Cubsmurf,
    You are a true good samaritan for coming to the aid of your neighbors!
    In retrospect, I probably would have reacted the same way; would I have told 911 that I was an armed neighbor and describe my attire?maybe if I would have remembered under stress, would I have taken a flashlight? no, I would have forgotten, would i have grabbed my AR instead if my handgun, no, my sig is always available!
    Perhaps a lowlight tactical shooting course is in your future!
    Glad you and your neighbors are safe;you did well!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Good work, and with a happy ending. The only thing that makes my hair stand up on end is that you're an armed guy at night walking around a house and 911 has been called to that address... when the cavalry arrives, who will they draw a bead on?
    This is exactly what popped into my head as I read the OP.

But I understand, it's not clear what to do considering he was still in there.

Which just underlines you just can't predict what people will do. Why did he stay when she left? Did he know she left?

Certainly try to steer them towards getting some training with their new firearm. Try to make them understand it isn't a magic wand.

The other thought I had was how well do you know your neighbors? You don't want to get mixed up in the middle of some drug debt or some crazy thing.

+1 on taking a light and giving the police the description of the good guys.

But as others have said, good job.

-john

Only problem I see--you called 911--what did you tell them?

What if the PD just happened to roll up while you are out "investigating" with "your friend"--now you are the BG until otherwise proven not so....meanwhile the real BGs may have/could have been holed up in the apt with your friend.

Just something to think about.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I would have told dispatch to stay on the line and put the phone in my pocket or have the neighbor stay on the line with them. Should things go wrong the call might have been your saving grace.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

BZDog,

I just thought of a simple resolution to this problem of positive identification for the arriving police.

I normally wear a blaze orange field hat during rainy and cold weather (such as today) when I'm out and about doing errands. That hat along with others I wear (baseball, Kangol, Carhart winter cap, etc.) are all kept on a hat rack at one of my side doors.
    During an incident such as this it might be a good idea to grab said hat (I'd grab the high visibility and not all that common blaze orange field hat!) and tellthe dispatch that they can identify me as the good guy neighbor via that hat in addition to a description of my physical self along with my full name.

Just an idea that may help things.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

you're the kind of neighbor everyone should have.

good show!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Good job. Telling the dispatcher you're armed and going to the house because you suspect your neighbor's life is in danger is the only thing I would have done differently. You're state has no duty to retreat, does it?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

If it isn't too late, offer to take them shooting before they pick up a handgun. Let them try yours and others, if practical, so they get something (or a couple of somethings) they can both use.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

CubSmurf,
    I've had a home invasion myself, been there done that! Don't second guess yourself on anything! You did what you could do at the time and your neighbors are alive and you are alive, that is what is important!!! Good job protecting them and being a stand up guy also.

My neighbor told me one time that the people that came by my house to seal the driveway stopped by his also, and mentioned that I must be a cop because I had my gun on me when I answered the door, he replied "no, just a good neighbor to have".

We also look out for each other and I hope I would do just as good as you did!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    CubSmurf,
    I've had a home invasion myself, been there done that! Don't second guess yourself on anything! You did what you could do at the time and your neighbors are alive and you are alive, that is what is important!!! Good job protecting them and being a stand up guy also.

My neighbor told me one time that the people that came by my house to seal the driveway stopped by his also, and mentioned that I must be a cop because I had my gun on me when I answered the door, he replied "no, just a good neighbor to have".

We also look out for each other and I hope I would do just as good as you did!!!
    Cub, when you told me about this at work today I knew you did the right thing. Good job buddy. You are a good neighbor.

The only thing I would suggest if this or something else happens in the future is to make 100% sure to tell the 911 operator that there is an armed good guy there and what you look like and are wearing so there is no chance that a mistaken identity thing happens if a cop somehow manages to get there in less than an hour. And in Memphis, that doesn't happen often.

Good job. Keep it up.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Actually, with Castle Law now in effect, you could have started dropping the bad guys. It would have been justified just on the neighbor lady's report of what was going on at her house. BUT, I think you did the right things.

How many rounds/mags did you carry out the door with you? Did you have enough to share with all the bad guys? Would any of them have felt left out because you did not have enough to give them all a couple? It would, of course, be bad manners not to share equally with all of them.

Again, I am glad it all worked out for you and your neighbor. Stay safe and shoot straight.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links