Had to draw my gun for the first time!

This is a discussion on Had to draw my gun for the first time! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good job...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Had to draw my gun for the first time!

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Good job
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ree View Post
    Great job!

When replaying how it went, do you recall being crystal clear with the 911 dispatcher that there was going to be an armed good guy (you) in or around the neighbor's house, not to be mistaken for an armed bad guy, just in case the cops showed up inside 2 minutes?
    Glad to see everything worked out great for you, and your neighbors. Regarding your 911 call.

A few years back we where taking care of our neighborís house, when their alarm went off. I grabbed my G19 and cell phone and went to investigate. Upon finding a backdoor wide open, I called 911.

First thing I did is tell the dispatcher I was covering the backdoor, to insure, the BG did not leave, and please make sure to tell the responding officers, I am armed and Iím warring, a blue T-shirt with shorts. I also stayed online with 911 until the officers arrived.

Hey all, thanks for all the comments! It's good to know I did it 'right'. Regarding telling the 911 operator, when I made the original call I hadn't yet decided to go out there. It's when I hung up the phone, I felt I couldn't wait for the cops. So, I tried to call back, but was put on hold. During that time is when my neighbor popped his head up and said they were gone. By the time I got through to 911 again, I no longer had my gun drawn. So, I did think to call and give them my description. Someone asked what I was carrying, I had my XD.45 filled with 14 shots, and had my snubby Taurus.357 as a BUG. Felt I was adequately covered. In retrospect, wish I woulda grabbed my spare mags. I will next time!!!
    Walk softly....

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Good job and a good neighbor!

My neighbor and I have an agreement that if something goes down at either of our homes, we first call 911, the call the other.

We have a good relationship with the deputies that patrol our area and have talk with them regularly. They all know we both carry, so should dispatch fail to alert them, I suspect they will know.

We stopped a theft at another neighbors this past weekend by confronting the bgs (all three teenagers). You should have seen their eyes when they realized we were both armed.

Another neighbor came over afterwards and told us both, "thanks!"

Now more than ever before, neighbors really do need to look out for each other.

Quote Originally Posted by CubSmurf View Post
    Called 911, gave them the info, locked my neighbor in my place, collected my 'friend' and went to investigate. I had my gun drawn, and was scanning back and forth. Yelled for my neighbor, to make sure he was ok.
    I'm not judging you, understand, but have you thought how you would have reacted if say, 2 police cars had raced up to the scene, lights flashing, and you were the guy standing there with a drawn gun, and "yelling"?

The above could happen to any of us, and it's easy to see how something bad could happen.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have done exactly what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by HadEmAll View Post
    I'm not judging you, understand, but have you thought how you would have reacted if say, 2 police cars had raced up to the scene, lights flashing, and you were the guy standing there with a drawn gun, and "yelling"?

The above could happen to any of us, and it's easy to see how something bad could happen.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have done exactly what you did.
    I understand your concern, but I was at the rear of the house...only access from the road is the front....I was not visible from the road....and in the meantime, I was re-dialing 911. If they would have arrived, I would have placed my firearm on the ground, hands in the air, and told them I was the resident who called.
    Walk softly....

My neighbors were the targets of an attempted home invasion tonight. About 9:40 tonight, someone starts pounding on my door. Thought it was someone messing with me. It was my neighbor, she was scared and crying. Saying someone was trying to break into their house, and her boyfriend was still inside. Called 911, gave them the info, locked my neighbor in my place, collected my 'friend' and went to investigate. I had my gun drawn, and was scanning back and forth. Yelled for my neighbor, to make sure he was ok. Yelled several times, with no answer. I was mentally preparing myself to go in to check on him, when he finally popped his head out. He was shaken, but said they had left. My yelling scared them off. Apparently the perps had tried to kick down the door, and when that didn't work they knocked out the window to try to unlock the door. Luckily the homeowner did some quick thinking, and ran to the door and kept it locked. The perps pointed a gun at my neighbor, and I truly believe it was my yelling that scared them off. Now, I am NOT bashing the local PD. The officers who showed up were VERY nice, and extremely courteous. BUT, for those who say the need for a gun isn't needed because the cops will protect you.....it took them an HOUR to get here. Part of the problem, they knew the perps were gone....but they also had a crazy night (officer involved shooting, FD barricaded inside a home by a thug, etc)....So, had I just holed up in my living room, waiting for the cops...who knows how this night would have ended. If I wasn't home, I fear I would have come home to a crime scene.

Any opinions on how I handled the situation?
    What part of Memphis?

Member Array Angel in San Antonio's Avatar
    Good points Ree, and i think you did a spectacular job under the circumstances. I honestly don't know how i might have reacted, but hope i could be as decisive as you were when it counts.

Angel

It happened in East Memphis, a VERY nice neighborhood. It's quite funny, I have lived in 4 different areas of town. The "NICE" areas has greeted me with my apt. being broke into, my vehicle being broke into, and now this incident. When I lived in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood, NOTHING. Seems very ironic, don't you think? Maybe I have stumbled upon a new theory for living in Memphis:D
    Walk softly....

I lived in Midtown for 15 years, and never had a problem. I think that the closer you are to the criminals the less you are to get bothered. At least that is the way it seems in Memphis.

Glad you guys are okay.

The "NICE" areas has greeted me with my apt. being broke into, my vehicle being broke into, and now this incident. When I lived in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood, NOTHING. Seems very ironic, don't you think?
    Well, the "NICE" area is where the good stuff is.

Good Job, best to you.

I'm going to assume (unlike some of the others) that as the officers arrived you'd of parked your piece, spread your hands wide apart at shoulder level showing the palms to them.

IMHO Things are no longer as they seem :

http://tacoma.areaconnect.com/crime/...=memphis&s2=TN
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Great job!! And a lot of great tips have been given. Remember that the police are not here for your protection. That means YOU are responsible for your own protection. Learn to use one of the new lights with each of your weapons. A bright light is a weapon in itself at night. Walmart has a light made by Brinkmann that is rubber coated and has a pressure switch on the tail end for $12 to $15 dollars. I have 5 or 6 around the house and carry one on my person when on duty, day or night. You never know when you might end up in a darkened garage, storage unit, warehouse, etc., and the light is very handy.
    Go slow with your neighbors and let them get used to the gun culture. Arrange for a monthly practice session with a cookout afterwards and continue the good feeling you have already started. If everyone was as good a neighbor as you are, we wouldn't have near as many problems. Inform others in your neighborhood of the incident so they may prepare also. Crooks will return to the scene of a failed crime cause it hurts their ego, so be ready.
    When calling 911, use the bluetooth technology on your cell phone if at all possible. Hands free is a good deal at this time too and if anything goes down, the call is being recorded and can be used in your defense if necessary. If you see or hear units approaching, advise the dispatcher you are aware of the units that are in your area and give your location on the premises. As soon as the officers are there, holster your weapon and identify yourself as the person talking to the dispatcher.
    Keep doing what you are doing because you are making a difference and Thanks for being a good example for others and for sharing the experience as a learning opportunity for us all.

Great Job.... clear and consice article,

And as for the time it tok the Cops, as someone wrote on here before, When seconds count, the Cops are only minutes away.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Your job is not done - you need to help your neighbors learn how to avoid being helpless victims in the future. Take them to the range and start them down the path to enlightenment.
    +1 Obie! Kudos for the rescue!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links