Had to draw my gun for the first time!

This is a discussion on Had to draw my gun for the first time! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My neighbors were the targets of an attempted home invasion tonight. About 9:40 tonight, someone starts pounding on my door. Thought it was someone messing ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Had to draw my gun for the first time!

Exclamation Had to draw my gun for the first time!

My neighbors were the targets of an attempted home invasion tonight. About 9:40 tonight, someone starts pounding on my door. Thought it was someone messing with me. It was my neighbor, she was scared and crying. Saying someone was trying to break into their house, and her boyfriend was still inside. Called 911, gave them the info, locked my neighbor in my place, collected my 'friend' and went to investigate. I had my gun drawn, and was scanning back and forth. Yelled for my neighbor, to make sure he was ok. Yelled several times, with no answer. I was mentally preparing myself to go in to check on him, when he finally popped his head out. He was shaken, but said they had left. My yelling scared them off. Apparently the perps had tried to kick down the door, and when that didn't work they knocked out the window to try to unlock the door. Luckily the homeowner did some quick thinking, and ran to the door and kept it locked. The perps pointed a gun at my neighbor, and I truly believe it was my yelling that scared them off. Now, I am NOT bashing the local PD. The officers who showed up were VERY nice, and extremely courteous. BUT, for those who say the need for a gun isn't needed because the cops will protect you.....it took them an HOUR to get here. Part of the problem, they knew the perps were gone....but they also had a crazy night (officer involved shooting, FD barricaded inside a home by a thug, etc)....So, had I just holed up in my living room, waiting for the cops...who knows how this night would have ended. If I wasn't home, I fear I would have come home to a crime scene.

Any opinions on how I handled the situation?
    Walk softly....

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you did the right thing. Memphis seems to be getting really rough.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Busy or not, an hour for a attempted armed home invasion is just too long..
    good thinking..

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Yeah, sui, I was thinking the same thing. After all, no one has any assurance that the perps didn't remain around, or head to a different house right on the same block!

CubSmurf, I think you did great.
    You might have saved your neighbor's life! What you did took guts.

Are your neighbors going to get their own guns now?

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you "done good"!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Your job is not done - you need to help your neighbors learn how to avoid being helpless victims in the future. Take them to the range and start them down the path to enlightenment.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

+1 obxned

You did good......might consider inviting him to the range your next trip.
    My only question.....did you have a flashlight? At night it might be a good thing to have.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Neighbors say they are going to pick up a handgun today. I already offered to go to the range with them. So, I plan to be there to help them through the next stage. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night. Kept replaying how things went, and trying to figure out if I should have done anything different.

Edit: No, didn't have a flashlight. I was JUST thinking I needed to replace mine, now this will make sure I do it. The area between my place and my neighbors is VERY dark. I thought about trying to sneak around and catch the perps off guard, but it was TOO DARK. Oh, and speaking of lighting...my neighbors house was completely lit up when then his happened. All the lights on in the house, and the porch was BRIGHTLY lit. Very unnerving how brazen the bad guys are getting.
    Last edited by CubSmurf; November 6th, 2007 at 08:47 AM. Reason: to answer question....
    Walk softly....

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CubSmurf View Post
    Neighbors say they are going to pick up a handgun today. I already offered to go to the range with them. So, I plan to be there to help them through the next stage. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night. Kept replaying how things went, and trying to figure out if I should have done anything different.
    Good for you and your neighbors... I will say thats its a bit nuts going over to the trouble spot, but I'm glad it turned out OK. Make sure you turn them on to DC.com.
    "Just blame Sixto"

ree
    Great job!

When replaying how it went, do you recall being crystal clear with the 911 dispatcher that there was going to be an armed good guy (you) in or around the neighbor's house, not to be mistaken for an armed bad guy, just in case the cops showed up inside 2 minutes?

I'll be honest, I didn't decide to go outside until I had hung up with 911 dispatch. (less than a minute call) I just decided I couldn't live with myself if I sat and waited, and something happened. I was calling back while I was yelling for my neighbor, but was put on 911 HOLD!!! By the time I got an operator, neighbor was safe and perps were gone.
    Walk softly....

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    any motives or knowledge of why the attempt?

PS Glad to hear your okay.
    PSII. At least your neighbor was smart enough to come to the guys house who has all the guns.
    ďAre you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the roomĒ?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by CubSmurf View Post
    If I wasn't home, I fear I would have come home to a crime scene.
    I'm afraid you would have too! You did a great job CubSmurf and you are right about the bad guys in Memphis. It seems they have no conscious or fear.
    Last edited by Cap'n; November 7th, 2007 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

To Iowa From Memphis

Good job CubSmurf!! It is nice to count on neighbors!! Did your neighbors know that you carried before this happened?
    CubSmurf and others... I now live in small town Iowa due to the craziness of Memphis. I had lived in Memphis for a few years and it was getting bad, so I moved to Olive Branch, MS... and not long after the crime followed... I decided it was time to get out. It was the best move I ever made.
    Take them to RangeMaster and do some shooting... it where I used to shoot all the time, great place.. I wish all towns had a range that nice. The town I live in has no indoor ranges... makes winter time practice interesting.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Fantastic job! I'd have to say, thats pretty cool your neighbors knew they could look to you for help in a desperate situation,and you were able to help the boyfriend safely emerge from a potentially fatal situation.

Sounds like you might be busy in the future teaching them how to shoot,clean, maintain and etc their shiny new handgun lol.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links