"Assault Rifle" used for self defense in a parking lot

This is a discussion on "Assault Rifle" used for self defense in a parking lot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 08:48 PM CDT on Thursday, October 4, 2007 By TANYA EISERER / The Dallas Morning News teiserer@dallasnews.com http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.2cdef6a.html A security guard used an assault rifle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

08:48 PM CDT on Thursday, October 4, 2007
    By TANYA EISERER / The Dallas Morning News
    teiserer@dallasnews.com
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.2cdef6a.html

A security guard used an assault rifle to kill two robbery suspects at a Red Bird strip mall late Wednesday, police said.

Police say the guard grabbed his weapon when one of the men pointed a handgun at him.

Brandon Stewart Sergio Vann, the 19-year-old gun-wielding assailant, died at the scene late Wednesday. Detavias Davis, 17, who was driving the getaway car, died at a hospital.

A third suspect, Brandon Stewart, 18, was being held in the Dallas County Jail on a charge of aggravated robbery.

Police are looking into whether the trio may have been involved in other robberies.

Dedrick Howard, the 20-year-old security guard, declined to comment. His employer did not return a call seeking comment.

The incident happened about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday in the parking lot of a shopping center in the 2200 block of West Red Bird Lane.

Mr. Howard, a licensed security guard, told police that he was on duty, sitting in his vehicle and working on a laptop when he noticed a white Mitsubishi circling the parking lot.

The car parked two spaces away from him, police said. Two men, identified as Mr. Vann and Mr. Stewart, got out and ran toward Mr. Howard's car, police said.

"One kid asked him, 'Do you have change for a $20?' " said police Sgt. Ray Beaudreault, a homicide supervisor. "Of course, he didn't. The other kid pulled a gun and told him to get out of the car."

As Mr. Howard got out of the car, he grabbed an assault rifle from the passenger seat and fired several rounds. Mr. Vann was hit, and Mr. Stewart ran.

The getaway car's driver, identified as Mr. Davis, restarted the car, police said. Thinking the driver might have a weapon, Mr. Howard then shot at the car, striking Mr. Davis, police said.

As Mr. Davis fled, fatally wounded, he lost control of his car and it struck another vehicle, authorities said.

Police think Mr. Vann, who had the gun, tried to fire it at Mr. Howard because police found a round in the gun's chamber and two live rounds on the ground, Sgt. Beaudreault said.

"I think that's probably what saved the security guard's life, because he had time to fire his weapon before Sergio did," Sgt. Beaudreault said. "He didn't know how to operate the weapon."

Sgt. Beaudreault said he believes that, typically, armed security guards carry handguns and not assault rifles. "It's not your standard weapon," he said.

Mr. Howard fired 11 rounds from the assault rifle, police said.

Police say Mr. Stewart was arrested when he returned about 15 minutes later to retrieve his cellphone and jacket from the car. Mr. Stewart told detectives that he and his accomplices planned to rob Mr. Howard of his laptop, a police report said.

"Kids at that age need to be in school, getting a good education," said Sgt. Beaudreault. "Why they're out there robbing a security guard is beyond me. I don't really know what to make of it."

After the shooting, Mr. Vann's mother called and spoke with a detective. She told police that her son worked at Wal-Mart and that Wednesday was his day off.

"She said he was a good kid," Sgt. Beaudreault said.

Sgt. Beaudreault said the deaths of the two suspected robbers will be referred to a grand jury. But it is unlikely that a grand jury will indict Mr. Howard because state law allows a person to use deadly force to prevent being robbed.

State law also does not require that someone retreat before using deadly force to defend themselves in their homes, cars or places of business.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    He was a good kid?Why was he involved in armed robbery?I am glad the security guard is ok.Good post.

I guess this incident explains why the Security Guard is carrying a rifle.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Administrator
    Something just isnt adding up here...
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm wondering how one can get a long gun out of a car and into play with a gun already covering you... Oh well, the kids were scumbags anyway, even if the details are fishy.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Sounds like the only reason the security guard didn't get killed is the BG didn't know how to work his weapon.
    I'd like to know what the actual "assault rifle" is. 11 rounds, it could be one of those Hi Point .40Cal carbines
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

"Mr. Vann was hit, and Mr. Stewart ran."

The getaway car's driver, identified as Mr. Davis, restarted the car, police said. Thinking the driver might have a weapon, Mr. Howard then shot at the car, striking Mr. Davis, police said.

As Mr. Davis fled, fatally wounded, he lost control of his car and it struck another vehicle, authorities said."

Good on the mall security guard. The gene pool is cleaner.
    i just love the way the sorry butt media refers to violent felons as Mr.

"After the shooting, Mr. Vann's mother called and spoke with a detective. She told police that her son worked at Wal-Mart and that Wednesday was his day off.

"She said he was a good kid," Sgt. Beaudreault said."

Yep, he was going to go to medical school as soon as he murdered that security guard.

Assault is a misnomer. I can be taken to mean anything; hold on let me go grab my assault rock.

That makes me want to keep a AR Carbine in the car.

The kid that got away came back afterward to retrieve his cellphone and jacket!?!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The kid that got away came back afterward to retrieve his cellphone and jacket!?!

- Janq
    The stupid shall be punished!!!

EW3
    The question I have is, was this so-called "assault rifle" part of the security guard's equipment? If it was his personal weapon, I'd say he has a pretty high probability of getting canned by the company he works for.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    Sounds like the only reason the security guard didn't get killed is the BG didn't know how to work his weapon.
    I'd like to know what the actual "assault rifle" is. 11 rounds, it could be one of those Hi Point .40Cal carbines
    Later reports confirmed that the "assault rifle" was an SKS.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    The question I have is, was this so-called "assault rifle" part of the security guard's equipment? If it was his personal weapon, I'd say he has a pretty high probability of getting canned by the company he works for.
    ...but he'll be alive, which helps a lot when you're updating your resume....

Maybe he had a SKS because he wasn't old enough to own a handgun? It says he's 20, I'm sure you can have one on duty as an LEO or military at that age, but what about security? Or are they counted as LEO's?
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    ...but he'll be alive, which helps a lot when you're updating your resume....
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links