Boy, 15, shot dead during burglary

This is a discussion on Boy, 15, shot dead during burglary within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...ry/303252.html BY ERIKA BERAS eberas@MiamiHerald.com An auto repair shop owner confronted two teens early Saturday in North Miami, shooting and killing one of them as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy, 15, shot dead during burglary

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Boy, 15, shot dead during burglary

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...ry/303252.html

BY ERIKA BERAS
    eberas@MiamiHerald.com

An auto repair shop owner confronted two teens early Saturday in North Miami, shooting and killing one of them as they both attempted to burglarize the business that also doubles as the owner's home.

The 15-year-old North Miami boy, Paul-Marc Petit, of North Miami, died from a gunshot wound. The other suspect, who is also 15, was apprehended and charged with felony murder, burglary and theft. He was not identified by police.

The owner of Knight Auto Repair, 685 NW 121 Street, whose name was not released by police, is not expected to be charged in connection with the shooting because he was acting in self-defense.

Police said the shop owner spotted the two burglary suspects on his property about 2 a.m. The teens were not armed.

''He heard noise,'' said Sergeant Trevor Shinn of the North Miami Investigations Unit, ``They were removing property from the vehicles. There was a confrontation, he shot at them.''

Police arrived to find the boy lying in front of the residence with a gunshot wound. They notified emergency rescue workers, who were unable to save the teen, according to a statement issued by the North Miami Police Department spokesman Lt. Neal Cuevas.

The shop owner declined comment to a Miami Herald reporter.

Of course the next story will be quoting the parents stating what a great kid he was. Just once I would like to see the parents own up and say "he was a s&!$head", or something similar. The story didn't give the name of the business owner outright, but from the name of the business, I would think it is pretty easy to figure out. Name and address published once again by an irresponsible media.

2. Remove Ads

"Boy, 15, shot dead during burglary." His youthful exterior has nothing to do with it. His manifest actions and threat to the homeowner do.

If the story is accurate and the home was part of the structure, it sounds more like: "Two-Person Home Invasion Leaves One Dead And The Other Charged With Murder."

Condolences to the families of the intruders. Though I'm sure they all think their boys were "good kids," one shouldn't be intruding into the homes of others in the middle of the night.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Double edged sword, the Main stream media that is.

If and only if the media report these incidents enough, it's plausible to expect some or least a few would be burglars and violent criminals to rethink their line of earning of income. However, the main stream media generally induces a negative spin when a law abiding citizen protects himself or his property with deadly force. Hence the double edged sword of the main stream media.

Since Florida adopted the Castle Doctrine, which the Brady Campaign and gun control advocates quickly and convienently renamed the "Shoot First" law the main stream media seem to reporting more and more of these incidents than prior to the law becoming effective some two years ago. Is their an agenda behind this or just reporting the news ? You be the judge, but I'm not advocating putting on our tin foil hat just yet.

Did the kid deserve to die as result of the incident ? That lies in the eyes of the beholder and I was not there so I cannot jump to any conclusions without all of the facts of this encounter. News papers rarely provide all details pertinent to these incidents for the public to make informed conclusions regarding deadly use of force. Did the kid have a deadly weapon ? Possibly a knife, a tire iron, a club, an expandable batan ?

What was a 15 year old kid doing out in the wee hours of the morning steeling property from a an auto mechanics shop ? We're where his parents ? In bed sleeping ? What kind of past history does this kid have with law enforcement ? Was he a drop out of school ? If so, why ? And, where we're his parental guidance or lack there of that would lead this ilk to committing to crime ? Was he a drug abuser ? Drug seller and trafficer ? Alot of questions to ask, but seems to me they are worth asking for adding to the pile of data for Uniform Crime Reports and USDOJ statistical models of juvenile criminal prevention iniatives across the nation, not just in Florida.

Just my .02
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Instant death is the occupational hazard that criminals are exposed to....if they are 15 or 75...age doesn't really matter...

Yeah a kid with ill intent can be just as deadly as any adult, and must be treated as such, the only down side to this story is that he will be added to the Brady bunch list of "poor Innocent kids" killed with a gun, right along with the rest of the gang banger's and drug pushers under the age of 21 that are killed due to their life style choice.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Innocent, well-behaved, responsible kids do not commit robberies at 2a.m.
    He got EXACTLY what a 'criminal' gets when he roamed private property at 2 a.m. looking for trouble...fortunately he was able to find it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

M2
    I guarantee he won't do it again!

And the fact that the second criminal was charged with "felony murder" is interesting, as there is no mention of anyone else bing killed. If the criminals unsuccessfully used lethal force (which of course is not mentioned in the article), wouldn't it be classified as "attempted murder?" And why "felony murder?" What other kinds of murder are there?

Cheers! M2

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I guarantee he won't do it again!

And the fact that the second criminal was charged with "felony murder" is interesting, as there is no mention of anyone else bing killed. If the criminals unsuccessfully used lethal force (which of course is not mentioned in the article), wouldn't it be classified as "attempted murder?" And why "felony murder?" What other kinds of murder are there?

Cheers! M2
    I think you get automatically charged with a murder when your criminal partner dies.

Yep, typically any death during commission of a felony is laid at the feet of all (surviving) perpetrators since the law sees the death as a direct result of the felony being committed.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And the fact that the second criminal was charged with "felony murder" is interesting, as there is no mention of anyone else bing killed.
    A person was killed during their commission of a crime: the surviving criminal's partner. Clearly, the criminals' actions resulted in the death of someone.

In the situation illustrated by this article, the guy was in his own home and business, he had the right to be there, he had the right to confront criminals, had the right to defend himself via Castle Doctrine (Miami, FL), and possibly was rushed with lethal intent/weapons. Which of us would not, in such a case, deem it reasonable and justifiable to stop a violent attack on our person, even if lethal force ended up being required?

So far as I understand it, and after quickly checking the FindLaw distinctions between categories, killings fall into one category or another:

• Murder -- unlawful killing with malice or intent, possibly both willful and premeditated (first-degree), possibly not (second-degree), or possibly resulting from commission of another felony (felony murder).
    • Manslaughter -- unlawful killing without malice or intent.
    • Homicide -- unintentional killing that was either justified or accidental.

Uncertain whether Florida categorizes burglary as a felony. Perhaps because it was technically burglary of a domicile (since the living quarters were attached to this guy's business). Or, perhaps there were multiple crimes committed by the criminals, such as: breaking and entering; burglary; aggravated assault or attempted murder, with disparity of force or weapons; buggery on the house cat; whatever else. Hard to say what all they did, in the absence of details.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The definition of homicide is simply the killing of a human being. The method or circumstances aren't specified, and it's not a crime by itself. There needs to be a modifier, as in "negligent homicide" or "justifiable homicide".

The fact that the kid was 15 doesn't matter. There are plenty of 15 year olds out there who are completely willing and able to commit murder.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

It happens all the time. They just don't learn the danger before hand that are awaiting them when they become criminals. They are always good kids.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I am not up on Florida law, but in Maryland the felony could be based on the value of the property being removed from the vehicles. Stealing a $200 leather jacket out of a car would be a misdemeanor, while a $1000 laptop computer would be a felony. The survivor could have earned himself the felony murder charge just by being too greedy!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Another criminal gets his ticket punched in the process of committing a crime.

Pardon me while I go weep for the poor misunderstood boy.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Did the kid deserve to die as result of the incident ?
    Just my .02
    Rumor is that the homeowner asked both kids: "Could you please leave my property, it is 2:00 AM and I would like to go to sleep, pretty please"?

If I ever 'happen' upon two BG's in my house or garage at 2:00AM, I'm not going to be concerned if they have 1 or 2 parents, if they have been abused, if they've been belittled by their classmates or if they're on drugs or are drunk. My only concern is going to be whether they have a gun or another weapon, intend to do me harm and if me and my family are going to be unharmed at the end of the 'incident'.
    As far as I'm concerned once BG's invade someone's domain, all bet's are off. Breaking in, first mistake. If they did anything but turn around and walk out when confronted, second mistake. A pistol is too easily concealed. Case closed.
    BG's are everywhere but Orlando and Miami coast are two of the most dangerous areas in Florida. Just look at all of the police killed this year. Try living with these threats all around you.

"Did the kid deserve to die as result of the incident "?
    My opinion is: "Sadly, yes.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links