How many of us have actually been shot at?

This is a discussion on How many of us have actually been shot at? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A couple of times. 1. Still have scares from when I was 13 year old. I walked through the wrong farmers field and got some ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How many of us have actually been shot at?

A couple of times.

1. Still have scares from when I was 13 year old. I walked through the wrong farmers field and got some rock salt in the leg.
    2. While staying at the family cabin, we were out in the yard and started having a volley of bullets fly past us. After screaming and yelling to cease fire (with no success).
    3. While turkey hunting, I was shot at by a guy that was trespassing on our land. He took two pot shots at me with a shotgun, thankfully he was out of range.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The closest to being killed was a sniper round that hit the dirt inches from my head when I was sleeping!

Happy Veteran's Day ya'll!

Semper Fi
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Only by a .22-250 in the hands of an idiot who was sighting it in. He'd tacked a target on one of our fence posts. Bullets were sailing right down an old fire break into our property. I was duck hunting in our slough and heard the reports. Stupidly I walked to the fire break and began walking towards the fence line, intending to stop the shooting which kept up all the while. Finally it occured to me that the bullets were cracking around me, clipping trees and brush. Fired the shotgun into the air to get their attention. When I got to the fence line I found a fellow and his young son. He was fidgiting guiltily and fumbling excuses. I "read him the riot act", told him I'd memorized the license plate number on his pick up but might not call the law if he'd vamoose.

Only once. i was hanging around in the parking lot while in high school. One of my friends had a beef with another guy, who drove by hanging out the passenger side window taking pot shots at the whole crowd.
    A year later I saw the shooters name in the paper...dead from a GSW during a drug buy.

figured.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah fairway, Baltimore is like that... I think its like DC, guns have been outlawed. I lived there for a few years, it wasnt my favorite place.
    Next time, lock the door behind you.
    Lol - Me too. Grew up there. That's where my only shots came from ...non-military/non-leo related. Grew up around Curtis Bay, Brooklyn, and Brooklyn Park. Not a fun place. It's a prime example of the failure of gun-grabbing. I'd venture to say at least a good quarter of the kids I went to school with were armed to the teeth. Most of the nights you're pretty much guaranteed to hear shots and sirens...at least back then. Don't know about now. Haven't been back in a while and don't plan on it anytime soon.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    What is it with you guys getting shot at in Baltimore and the Bronx? Guns are ILLEGAL there, right? So how can you get shot at?

Back to topic: I've been peppered (sometimes more than that) more times than I can count while dove hunting.

I don't do crowded fields any more on opening day...I'm older and less unwise.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    When i was a teen a friend shot me in the forearm with a .22 pistol . Other than that i have been shot at a few times ( mostly job related ) but only hit once and took it ( a .357 ) on the vest . Other than a holed uniform shirt , and damaged carrier it was all ok and in fact i did not realise i had been hit untill at the er ( i broke my arm wrestling a biker on the same domestic disturbance call, it was his " ol lady " that shot me , but was trying to kill him at the time ) . I fugure that if i say i been shot some detail is in order , but really i dont care to discuss that incident further , or any others where someone got all drunked up and popped of rounds in my direction .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Two or three times a week in Viet Nam. An Armored Cavalry Troop (30+ vehicles) wasn't able to hide too well in the open.

Once, I personally drew direct fire during my morning steel-pot shave and bath. We returned fire but the C.O. called cease-fire. He had to check with I Corp, the local ARVN's, the NATO forces, and the provincial police to be sure there were no "friendlies" in the area. We were then "authorized" to "go after" the sniper 200 yards in front of my track in the stand of bamboo, 5 hours later.

Welcome Home to all my Brothers-in-Arms" and hope you had a great Veterans Day. (Better late than never.)

"Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another."

OD*
    Once while hunting.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

With 24 months in Vietnam I was shot at quite often. I still visit some of the firefights regularly at night.
    The Blind Shooter....
    "Every Day Above Ground Is Great!"

Way too often starting when I was a kid.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Only by a .22-250 in the hands of an idiot who was sighting it in.
    Don't say only by a .22-250.
    I've never been shot at (thank God) but this made me think of my older brother. I never got to meet him as he was shot in the head by an idiot kid at Boy Scouts Camp in Alaska with a .22 at the age of 13. They were shooting targets.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

3 times. The latest was some Italian terrorist who was no real threat. Shot at the [concrete] building with a 9mm in a drive-by. The excitement afterwards was interesting. Further back was unintentional; birdshot doesn't really hurt if you're wearing hunting clothes and well out of range, just scares you to feel pellets after hearing the shot -- yeah, it's that slow. The first one was the only real threat and my own fault -- let's just say, some women are better left alone because their men will shoot before asking questions; being three decades younger at the time, I hadn't learned that lesson.

This pales compared to some people's experiences.... but one time during a late night run to a chicken shack in Chicago by Cabrini Green housing complex (Farmer Brown's Chicken, if you know Chicago from about 10 yrs ago), a couple of thugs poured a number of shots into the vehicle in front of ours from in front, meaning we ended up being in the line of fire. No harm done to us, and, funnily enough, everyone scattered for about one minute and then came back to collect the chicken. Good chicken, but I don't think I went back much after that....

Yea, last Sat ! Actually, got peppered (heavely) on a Kansas Pheasant hunt - the rewards of the blocker. No damage, just red faces.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links