How many of us have actually been shot at?

This is a discussion on How many of us have actually been shot at? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Had a BB gun fight with my brother and some friends once in a canyon in the desert. I took a couple of BBs to ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How many of us have actually been shot at?

Had a BB gun fight with my brother and some friends once in a canyon in the desert. I took a couple of BBs to the body. We got in big time trouble when the little sister of one of the guys told on us.

When I was 16 or 17 about 7 or 8 guys my age were lined up at the back bumper of our church bus, trying to push start it. We got it rolling pretty good and when the driver popped the clutch, the bus backfired directly at my thigh from about 2 feet away. My ears rang for several hours after that. That's as close to being shot as I care to experience.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, back in 1967-68 by weedmonkeys!

Took fire from everything from an AK-47 to AAA in the form of 23mm, 37mm, 57mm, 100mm, and surface-to-air missiles. We gave as good as we got, and thanks to the Guy upstairs I was able to come home in one piece.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

quite a bit iraq, including an IED that detonated 12 inches behind my back. was only ever shot at once here in the states. i was camping in colorado with my gf, and some fools were firing into a hillside that we were on the other side of, maybe 100 meters away. i flanked them and it took all of my self control not to kill them. they were just stupid kids out shooting and having fun. i chewed their asses and gave them a safety course.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

"Freedom Has A Flavor The Protected Will Never Know!"

The thanks are appreciated from all, but it's the current crop of Troops that I want to say Thanks.

"Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another."

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    "Freedom Has A Flavor The Protected Will Never Know!"

The thanks are appreciated from all, but it's the current crop of Troops that I want to say Thanks.

"Never again will one generation of veterans abandon another."
    I'll second that
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    When Clint said "it is an AK-47, the prefered weapon of your enemy. It makes a distinct noise when fired", he sure was right. Desert storm, with the Big Red One. Quite a few times the first day. 2nd day we were sitting around chatting, when we heard a metallic buzzing sound. It kept getting closer in the sky. Half the city block was blown up when that Scud hit about a quarter mile away. Some people needed to change their britches that day. Still comes back once in a while late at night.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    How many others have actually been fired upon and what were the circumstances? I think it would be interesting to know this little tid bit of info about our members.
    Almost every damn day for three straight months without fail while on the DMZ in Vietnam in early January 1968. Did it raise my pucker factor? Very much so. Would I voluteer for it again? Not likely.

After all of that, I think that your question probably was directed to small arms fire. Most of their rounds fired at us were heavy stuff, and in comparison the pucker factor generated by small arms fire was miniscule. Still though, I value my life, and am no fool.
    http://www.8th-4th-arty.com

I was thinking in terms of small arms fire but, since others brought up larger caliber weapons....

January 20th, 1991. I am on watch on my radar console in CIC at approx. 0230 in the north end of the Persian Gulf. Across the headsets I hear the aft lookout say "I think a missile just passed aft of us." Talk about going from zero to 60 in no time flat.
    I am immediately being queried across the headsets by the TAO and others if my air search radar detected a launch or any incoming missile. I respond that I had nothing at all. My scope is clear.

Turns out it was some fool in a dhow firing RPG's at us, and doing it rather poorly.

The gunners mates took care of him with a mounted .50 cal BMG at day break after he tried to out run our Guided Missile Cruiser in the POS dhow he was in. He was not successful.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hey when was that? I remember you saying before you lived in Milwaukee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Lived in Milwaukee. Someone broke into my house and I greeted them with a shotgun. Cops were called and they took him away. Well his little gang banger buddies didn't like that one bit so they decided to do a drive by on my house.

I was watching TV and saw lights go out on a car in the middle of the street. I told my mom to get down, call the cops, and I grabbed my shotgun and quick handful of ammo for spares (only gun I had and always had it loaded with slugs) and laid down behind the front door. After the gunfire stopped and they tried to drive away, I went outside and exchanged gunfire with them. One poor SOB got out of the car, probably to get better aim and took a 20ga Brenneke slug COM. Police came. No charges were filed. The prosecutor said it was a "miscalculation in victim selection".

We moved the next week. This happened in a "good" neighborhood.

I was 14 years old at the time. Changed me forever.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I got shot at some in 2006. Still have not told my mom or my wife about it. They still think I was behind a desk. I did tell my dad some.

In the 1980's, in a green uniform, somewhere in the western hemisphere, one of the other sides guns was a .50 cal MG - I will never forget the pretty tracers arcing...

the rest is probably not repeatable...

VIP Member
    Somewhere in Latin America about 20 years ago. Coming out of a restaurant with a couple of other friends we were stopped by a couple of cops: Sgt Dumb and Rookie Dumber. Our crime was to have long hair and we were told to assume the position against a wall while rookie Dumber covered us with an Uzi, Mimia Vice style(Yep, an Uzi in the hands of a poorly trained jackarse rookie cop). As we were being patted by Sgt Dumb, Rookie Dumber had an ND and several bullets impacted about 3 feet above our heads. I was too scared to even soil my undies but I managed to look at my buddies and they were all still standing up unhurt and so was Sgt Dumber who went on a verbal rampage and disarmed Rookie Dumber. Sgt Dumb eventually hollered at us to get out and we complied with pleasure.

There were another 2 or 3 incidents, but this will always be the top.

I think it was Winston Churchill that said something along the lines of: There is nothing as exhilirating as being shot at...and survive." I must agree
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Sort of

I was shot at, and hit, with buckshot in a hunting accident a few years ago. I was not incapacitated from multiple hits. I was lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    Hey when was that? I remember you saying before you lived in Milwaukee.
    I was 14yo at the time. Happened in 1995. They kept my name out of the media because I was a minor at the time.

I lived on 84th and Good Hope. The "Nice" Neighborhood. Used to go to church at the 1st Presby on Fond du Lac Ave. I went to SPI on 76th and Acacia down from the library and kitty corner from John Buroughs school.

I'm 26yo now and I still smell the gunpowder from that night. And the (my) vomit right after it happened. I'll never forget. Some day I hope I do.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links