How many of us have actually been shot at?

This is a discussion on How many of us have actually been shot at? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was wondering this the other day. I am not happy to say that I have been shot at. It was while in the Persian ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of us have actually been shot at?

How many of us have actually been shot at?

I was wondering this the other day.

I am not happy to say that I have been shot at.

It was while in the Persian Gulf during Desert Storm in 1991.

In the first, I returned fire. The fight lasted for 5 minutes and we came out on top. Guns being fired at me were AK-47 type rifles and some type of .30 cal mounted machine gun. I fired back with a 25mm chain gun mounted to the deck of the ship I was stationed on board.

How many others have actually been fired upon and what were the circumstances? I think it would be interesting to know this little tid bit of info about our members.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Nowhere near the same category Mike - so forgive if seems flippant!!

When in teens a buddy and I used to (foolishly) shoot at each other across a large pond with air pistols -- that is about (I am glad to say) the extent of my experience of ''incoming''!! I'll happily stick at that too.

Late 50's for anyone wondering! Yep - I am that old!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Was shot at while hunting as a teenager in Oregon, I no longer live there and is the reason I carry all the time. The shooter had previously made threats against me as well as after.

When I was in the Army I spent a hitch in Vietnam, where I worked in a hospital. It was in a secure area and nothing really scary ever happened to me. I still had some time left on my enlistment when my 13 months was up, and got stationed at the AFEES in Detroit. (1969) With my separate quarters allotment and my regular pay I was drawing something like $400 a month, and I moved into a ghetto apartment at Cass and Brainard streets with some other GI's. I was coming home from work one day and got out of my car (in uniform) and walked into what turned out to be a love triangle gone south. A guy ran by me then a woman chasing him. She stuck a gun in my face, then seemed to realize I wasn't who she wanted to shoot, and headed down the street after the guy. He collapsed in the street. When the police got it all sorted out, there were two dead guys in the apartment building they had come out of, and the guy on the street was hurt bad. Turns out, she hadn't shot him - one of the dead guys in the apartment had after he had shot the place up. The police had me show up in court but the guy copped a plea and got 20 years so I didn't testify.

Military duty seemed pretty tame compared by comparison.

Here is the best part. The gun was a .25 auto. Two dead and one down from a single clip. Hard to convince me that mouseguns are all that impotent. Of course, he did get shot with his own gun......

Today, after 38 years, I can still clearly visualize the gun being stuck in my face.

Administrator
    I have a few times, all but one was work related.

The first time I was 15 or so. Me and my buddy wandered onto someones farm while out dirtbiking. The farmer wasnt to happy about it, and shot at us with a shotgun... we were well out of range to be in much danger.

Second time was as a rookie LEO. Dirtball leaned out a second floor window of an apartment building and shot four times at me and my partner. He missed us but the city bought the landlord a new window and some carpet.

Third time was responding to a domestic call. It really sucks to be pinned down in a ditch with your pistol, and taking rifle fire from about 50yds. I carry a rifle now.

Fourth time was in the same apartment complex as the second. I never saw it coming, but luckily another officer did. It happened in a stair well as we were climbing up to the third floor.

Those are only the direct ones, I've had a few more indirect ones.

I've also been shot at in training, but thats a new thread all by itself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

I think I was

It was 37 years ago I was a young guy working as a collector for a loan company (Beneficial Finance) for you old people. I was trying to collect a debt payment in the Watts area of Los Angeles CA in a second story apartment building. The wife invited me in and her old man was sitting on the sofa watching TV. He got up started fidgeting with his hand in his pocket as he approached me. The woman said you better leave NOW. I was a bit confused till I saw what I recognized as part of a small nickel plated auto coming out of his pocket. I went out the door over the railing 10-12 off the ground and hit it hard rolling and ran as I heard the gun go off twice. Not sure if it was actually pointed at me or not but did not slow down or look back to find out either.

When I got back to the office my manager would not let me call the police. Instead he called the debtor and blackmailed them into paying off the debt or else. One hour later an envelop slid under the door with the $300 + dollars in it that they owed and that was that.

True story that got me back into school to get a real job.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    He missed us but the city bought the landlord a new window and some carpet.
    Ah, the power of understatement....

JD
    Administrator
    A few times too many...

Never pleasant.

Yes...quite a few times in 2003 and again in 2004......small arms, RPGs, mortars
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    A few times too many...

Never pleasant.
    You being a Marine, I understand JD. My experience was totally unexpected. i was a Navy guy. And an Electronics type at that. Fire Control Techs work on, maintain and operate the weapons systems. By that I mean the missile systems and radars and gun systems. We do not, as a rule, expect to take incoming small arms fire.

A missile through the berthing area in the middle of the night, I expected something like that. A torpedo, I was ready for it. A mine, yep, expected that one too.....but some idiot Iraqi regulars on an oil platform that the Brits supposedly cleared the day before shooting machine guns at us while I was the lucky member of Weapons Department standing a 6 hour watch on the starboard side 25mm chain gun mount was not what I was expecting at all.

I'm not whining. Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that it was not at all what I was expecting to have to do as far as combat experiences go. I expected to hit a button and watch the blip on my radar screen merge with the blip I just fired and then the two fade away. Turns out we didn't do any shooting that way. Go figure.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Thats the funny thing about these things... they never go as we think the would or should.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Twice, both during a "peacetime", "observe, advise and assist" type of mission.

YES

I wasn't shot at, but almost. About 6 years ago I was in Baltimore going to repo a Peterbilt. It was my first time popping a big truck. I found the unit, checked the vin and got in. Started it up and the thing was buzzing at me as there was no air built up yet. So I am sitting there waiting for the air to come up when the drivers door opens up and a guy is right there and puts a pistol right into my head, I mean he jabbed me with it and held it to my head and told me to shut the truck off, at that moment the buzzing stopped and I released the air brakes and put it in gear, he then yelled if the truck moves I'm dead. So i just turned the truck off, he then lowered the gun and stuffed it in his pants. I told him who I was and where I was from and that I wasn't leaving without the unit, after a little back and forth he ended up cleaning all his crap out of it and I left with it. I didn't call the police or anything on that incident I was worried about the police not letting me take the truck. I've had guns pulled on me other times and they all happened in Baltimore.
    Last edited by fairway1; November 11th, 2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Administrator
    Yeah fairway, Baltimore is like that... I think its like DC, guns have been outlawed. I lived there for a few years, it wasnt my favorite place.
    Next time, lock the door behind you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links