No More Stalker

This is a discussion on No More Stalker within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.nbc5.com/news/14596016/de...s=chi&psp=news Police: Woman Shoots Stalker To Death After Break-In Woman Endured Many Incidents With Stalker, Police Said An accused stalker was shot to death Monday ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No More Stalker

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

No More Stalker

http://www.nbc5.com/news/14596016/de...s=chi&psp=news

Police: Woman Shoots Stalker To Death After Break-In
    Woman Endured Many Incidents With Stalker, Police Said

An accused stalker was shot to death Monday night by the object of his obsession after he broke into her Hessville home, police told the Northwest Indiana Times.

Hammond resident Ryan Lee Bergner, 41, was pronounced dead from gunshot wounds to his abdomen shortly after 10:30 p.m. at a local hospital.

According to the Times, Bergner went on a date with the 51-year-old woman last June, and his behavior became obsessive, offensive and violent.

On Monday night, the woman was watching television in her living room when she said she heard Bergner break a bathroom window near her back door and called 911.

A friend had given the woman a pistol for protection earlier in the day.

After the 911 operator told her to lock herself in her bedroom until police could come, she ran upstairs to do so and retrieved the gun.

This was the second time in recent days that Bergner broke into her home, breaking a back window, destroying a clock radio and stealing several of her undergarments over the weekend.

Police records show Bergner also allegedly had tried to kick in the woman's front door a week before that, and also allegedly accosted her at her job and being ejected from the business by her co-workers.

He also was suspected of slashing her Jeep's tires on at least two occasions, police records show.

"This isn't over yet," Bergner told the woman on Nov. 3, according to police reports.

Hiding in her closet on Monday night, the woman said she heard Bergner enter the bedroom, then watched as he opened the closet door.

She said she told him to stop, but he kept coming. She fired the gun three times.

She said he then proceeded to choke her violently before collapsing to the floor.

"I was shaking so bad, I didn't think I'd hit him," the woman recalled Tuesday afternoon. "He just kept coming… I didn't want it to end this way."

Bergner had not been charged in any of the half-dozen previous complaints made against him.

"We only went out on that one date," the woman told the Times on Tuesday. "I got a look at his temper, and realized I didn't want anything to do with him. But he wouldn't take no for an answer."

Good timing by the friend giving her the pistol earlier in the day.

2. Remove Ads

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Good job on the womans part and to the friends who cared enough to want her armed!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

"I was shaking so bad, I didn't think I'd hit him," the woman recalled Tuesday afternoon. "He just kept coming… I didn't want it to end this way."
    Apparently the intruder did, though.

Bergner had not been charged in any of the half-dozen previous complaints made against him.
    Typical of the system. An attacker with a long history of crimes might well have killed her at some point. Not all are so lucky as she.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Chicky--1
    Perv--0

As it should be!
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I'm thinking 3 shots to the gut is a slow painful way to go. Luckily he bled out before he could choke her out.

One less case for the court calender...good for her!

system works?

JUst goes to show that following LE channels wont stop a determined BG. However correcting the BG's lead deficiency will work.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    "This isn't over yet," Bergner told the woman on Nov. 3, according to police reports.
    It is now...

Senior Moderator
    Why was he not charge with the previuos complaints?
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

wow. i hope this lady isnt too traumatized by the whole thing.
    glad to see that one more scumbag has left this earth

"Bergner had not been charged in any of the half-dozen previous complaints made against him."

A fine job by those local cops.

Good shooting.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

[QUOTE=CT-Mike;528029]http://www.nbc5.com/news/14596016/de...s=chi&psp=news

[i]Police: Woman Shoots Stalker To Death After Break-In
    Woman Endured Many Incidents With Stalker, Police Said

An accused stalker was shot to death Monday night by the object of his obsession after he broke into her Hessville home, police told the Northwest Indiana Times.

Hammond resident Ryan Lee Bergner, 41, was pronounced dead from gunshot wounds to his abdomen shortly after 10:30 p.m. at a local hospital.

She said she told him to stop, but he kept coming. She fired the gun three times.

She said he then proceeded to choke her violently before collapsing to the floor. /QUOTE]

Shot 3 times (doesn't say what caliber) and still could have killed/severely injured her.

One more reminder on 'shooting to stop the threat.'
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Nice to know she wont have any more problems with him. Maybe it's because I frequent the forum so much, reading self-defense stories and news articles but it seems like more and more people are taking their life a little more seriously. People across the nation are defending themselves and I love it. I read a stat about a state that has issued about 100,000 permits to date which means roughly 1 in 25 people could be carrying concealed. We obviously still have a long way to go but it's nice to know we're making progress.
    Last edited by LoneRanger; November 15th, 2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Changed wording
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    He was a gentle and kind man, according to his family:

Family defends shooting victim
    They say they can't believe stalking, shooting scenario

BY DAN HINKEL
    dhinkel@nwitimes.com

HAMMOND | Ryan Lee Bergner was a "gentle" and "kind" man, and his family "can't even believe" he would break into a woman's house and try to hurt her, his sister-in-law said Wednesday night.

"It's just so shocking for such a gentle person to die in such a violent way," said Becky Bergner, who is married to Ryan Lee Bergner's brother.

"He did not go there that evening to hurt her, as far as the Ryan that we know."
    Bergner's family doubts the version of Bergner's final minutes told by the woman who shot him to death Monday night, Becky Bergner said. Family members hope the investigation continues, she said.

Police have said they forwarded their reports to Lake County Prosecutor Bernard Carter. Carter could pursue charges against the woman or decline to seek charges, essentially finding the shooting a justifiable homicide.

The 51-year-old woman told police she heard Bergner break a window at her house in the 6900 block of Tennessee Avenue in Hammond's Hessville neighborhood. She called 911 and an operator told her to lock herself in her bedroom. She ran upstairs, grabbed a 9 mm pistol given to her by a friend earlier that day and hid in the closet, she said. When he opened the closet door and moved toward her, she fired three times, she said. He choked her before he lost his strength, she said.

Officers found Bergner, 41, wearing black leather gloves, sprawled out in the bedroom. Bergner, of the 3000 block of Crane Place in Hammond, was pronounced dead at 10:30 p.m. Monday at a local hospital.

The woman previously reported Bergner to police for allegedly trying to kick in her door, bothering her at work and possibly slashing her vehicle's tires.

Bergner's family is "having a hard time processing that or believing it," Becky Bergner said.

"Ryan was a very, very kind person, a very giving person," she said.

The woman who shot Bergner said Tuesday afternoon she went on one date with Bergner. She said she "didn't want anything to do with him" because of "his temper."

Bergner and the woman were more involved than the woman said, Becky Bergner said.

Bergner's family members met the woman, Becky Bergner said. The woman came to Bergner's father's funeral as Bergner's "girlfriend" a few months ago, Becky Bergner said. The woman was "not a fake girlfriend," Becky Bergner said.

"They were dating. There was a relationship there," she said. "He was very fond of her."

He told family they recently broke up, but were planning to remain friends, Becky Bergner said.

The woman who shot Ryan Lee Bergner did not answer phone calls Wednesday night.

If Ryan Lee Bergner had any diagnosed mental illnesses or substance abuse problems, Becky Bergner did not know of them, she said. Ryan Lee Bergner graduated from George Rogers Clark High School in Hammond, Becky Bergner said. He worked at a local American Legion post. He was divorced from a first wife.
    I guess this guy was a three time loser. Got divorced once, woman wasn't interested, and he gets shot because he can't face reality.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links