Justice!!

Justice!!

This is a discussion on Justice!! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here's a story that was in the headlines. 2 Home Invaders get shot by home owner. 3rd BG runs away but is captured and HE ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Justice!!

Justice!!

Here's a story that was in the headlines.
    2 Home Invaders get shot by home owner. 3rd BG runs away but is captured and HE is charged with murder.

Rare Robbery Case Brings Cries of Racism
    Thursday, November 15th, 2007 at 6:36pm EST

AP Photo/

LAKEPORT, Calif.
    Three young black men break into a white man's home in rural Northern California. The homeowner shoots two of them to death _ but it's the surviving black man who is charged with murder.
    In a case that has brought cries of racism from civil rights groups, Renato Hughes Jr., 22, was charged by prosecutors in this overwhelmingly white county under a rarely invoked legal doctrine that could make him responsible for the bloodshed.
    He is scheduled to go on trial Nov. 27.
    "It was pandemonium" inside the house that night, District Attorney Jon Hopkins said. Hughes was responsible for "setting the whole thing in motion by his actions and the actions of his accomplices."
    Prosecutors said homeowner Shannon Edmonds opened fire Dec. 7 after three young men rampaged through the Clearlake house demanding marijuana and brutally beat his stepson. Rashad Williams, 21, and Christian Foster, 22, were shot in the back. Hughes fled.
    Hughes was charged with first-degree murder under California's Provocative Act doctrine, versions of which have been on the books in many states for generations but are rarely used.
    The Provocative Act doctrine does not require prosecutors to prove the accused intended to kill. Instead, "they have to show that it was reasonably foreseeable that the criminal enterprise could trigger a fatal response from the homeowner," said Brian Getz, a San Francisco defense attorney unconnected to the case.
    The NAACP complained that prosecutors came down too hard on Hughes, who also faces robbery, burglary and assault charges. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty.
    The Rev. Amos Brown, head of the San Francisco chapter of the NAACP and pastor at Hughes' church, said the case demonstrates the legal system is racist in remote Lake County, aspiring wine country 100 miles north of San Francisco. The sparsely populated county of 13,000 people is 91 percent white and 2 percent black.
    Brown and other NAACP officials are asking why the homeowner is walking free. tests showed Edmonds had marijuana and prescription medication in his system the night of the shooting. Edmonds had a prescription for both the pot and the medication to treat depression.
    "This man had no business killing these boys," Brown said. "They were shot in the back. They had fled."
    The district attorney said that race played no part in the charges against Hughes and that the homeowner was spared prosecution because of evidence he was defending himself and his family, who were asleep when the assailants barged in at 4 a.m.
    Edmonds' stepson, Dale Lafferty, suffered brain damage from the baseball bat beating he took during the melee. The 19-year-old lives in a rehabilitation center and can no longer feed himself.
    "I didn't do anything wrong. All I did was defend my family and my children's lives," said Edmonds, 33. "I'm sad the kids are dead, I didn't mean to kill them."
    He added: "Race has nothing to do with it other than this was a gang of black people who thought they were going to beat up this white family."
    California's Provocative Act doctrine has primarily been used to charge people whose actions led to shooting deaths.
    However, in one notable case in Southern California in 1999, a man who robbed a family at gunpoint in their home was convicted of murder because a police officer pursuing him in a car chase slammed into another driver in an intersection, killing her.
    Hughes' mother, San Francisco schoolteacher Judy Hughes, said she believes the group didn't intend to rob the family, just buy marijuana. She called the case against her son a "legal lynching."
    "Only God knows what happened in that house," she said. "But this I know: My son did not murder his childhood friends."

She called the case against her son a "legal lynching."
    "Only God knows what happened in that house," she said. "But this I know: My son did not murder his childhood friends."
    Only in a**-backwards America could someone say this and have any credibility, unbelievable.

Just buying mj heh...yah.....

I'm surprised that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, the poverty pimp tag team, aren't there right now. The race card is easy to play.

California calls it Provocative Act, but we have the same thing, only it's called Felony Murder. We even had a getaway driver who never participated in the actual robbery convicted of this. Mandatory natural life sentence, no parole allowed.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    So I see his stepson has brain damage,from the beating,they broke into HIS home,and the 'reverend' wants to know why the homeowner is walking free?What has happened to our country?I notice the parents of criminals like these men always seem to talk about what good men they were.Could it be a parent problem?

VIP Member
    Gee ....sounds like the rev.Amos Brown would have let these boys go after they commited the crime...wow,and people wonder how things are so upside down in our society

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chase2b View Post
    LAKEPORT, Calif.
    Three young black men break into a white man's home in rural Northern California. The homeowner shoots two of them to death _

The district attorney said that race played no part in the charges against Hughes and that the homeowner was spared prosecution because of evidence he was defending himself and his family, who were asleep when the assailants barged in at 4 a.m.

Edmonds' stepson, Dale Lafferty, suffered brain damage from the baseball bat beating he took during the melee. The 19-year-old lives in a rehabilitation center and can no longer feed himself.

Hughes' mother, San Francisco schoolteacher Judy Hughes, said she believes the group didn't intend to rob the family, just buy marijuana. She called the case against her son a "legal lynching."
    Wa, wa, waaa
    Broke in at 4:00am to buy marijuana.
    Beat the kid who now has brain damage and his mom thinks only God knows what happened in that house that night.
    Maybe it would have been more just for the last bullet to hit him in the head so mommy could take care of a brain damaged son.

If this had happened in San Francisco they probably would have gotten away with it since SF doesn't think people should be able to defend themselves.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

IMHO, Mr. Edmonds made one BIG mistake, he missed one...
    I'm willing to give him 'extra credit' for the other two...
    This has NOTHING to do with race...it's simply crime getting it's just rewards.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why is it "rarely invoked?" BGs get charged with felony murder all the time in other parts of the country.

Its a shame bad guy number 3 didn't join his friends. These evil men broke into a home late one night and savagely beat a 19 year old boy until he had permanent brain damage.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    It was explained to me as the "felony murder rule" when I took CJ classes in CA... happens all the time.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    So her good little boy and his childhood friends were not there to rob anyone...

How then did the 19-year-old stepson end up beaten so badly with a baseball bat that he is now in nursing care and cannot even feed himself.

Is that how blacks go about buying marijuana from families at 4 a.m. in California?

That moron mother should have been shot along with her human garbage son. Two dead morons were clearly not enough in this case.

(Notice, no father coming forth to defend the perp. But in this day and age, we're told that a family doesn't need a father. )

Just think, one more hit and it would have been perfect. Nothing better than thinning the heard. Down here we had the Martin Lee Anderson case. Thank god that came out alright. Then over in Louisiana the Jena Six.
    Six blacks kill a white kid and all the blacks say is that "it's ok, he called them names." It's time that we take this country back from the 20% minority population that try to run it. Majority Rules. Again, IMHO

Those two deceased home invaders will never a chance to turn their lives around and go to medical school. Looks kind of iffy for the third perp too.

Only the most screwed up preacher would whine that the victim in the case should be charged with murder.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Why try to bring race into this? It's 4:00 a.m., someone breaks into your home, assaults family members causing critical injuries. You have declared war on my family and I don't care what your ancestry is. I am shooting till the attack stops or I run out of bullets!

No self respecting human being of any color is going to be breaking in to homes at 4:00 in the morning. Give it a rest reverand and mom. You both failed miserably.

Two less pieces of criminal filth in the world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links