Machete-Wielding Clerk Bloodies Alleged Thief

This is a discussion on Machete-Wielding Clerk Bloodies Alleged Thief within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Once again, the advantage of New Yorks hand gun ban. Good to see legal immigrants are still making the cut and making a positive impact ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machete-Wielding Clerk Bloodies Alleged Thief

Once again, the advantage of New Yorks hand gun ban. Good to see legal immigrants are still making the cut and making a positive impact in thier communities

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Chronicle
    11/15/2007
    By Joseph Wendelken, Editor

(Robert Stridiron) Omar Rodriguez was slashed on the head, hand and arm after allegedly trying to rob a bodega in Woodhaven last Wednesday night.

An alleged thief left a Woodhaven bodega on a stretcher last week af er the shop’s owner went for his fruit
    “You could hear from the first floor in Spanish: ‘Help! Help! I’m getting robbed!,’” recalled Shamir Martinez, 19, who was staying in a house across the street from Erick Deli Grocery on 77th Street on Wednesday night. “They were really fighting in there.”

Omar Rodriguez, 27, the suspect, entered the store at approximately 5 p.m. He allegedly pulled out a loaded, semi automatic handgun and went behind the store’s counter, demanding money from the owner, John Marte.
    Marte, 50, grabbed a machete and slashed the would-be robber on the head, right hand and left arm.
    “He pulled his gun, I pulled my machete and we went to war,” Marte said through Assemblyman Jose Peralta (D-Jackson Heights), who translated for him on Thursday.
    One of Rodriguez’s ears and one of his fingers were severed, according to witnesses. Martinez, who rushed outside, said that splatterings of blood covered the inside of the store. The bodega remained closed through the end of last week.
    Rodriguez got off two shots during the encounter, but Marte was not injured. Rodriguez, from Brooklyn, was rushed to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center. He was charged with attempted murder, robbery and criminal possession of a weapon.
    Marte, who police believe acted in self-defense, does not face charges. Although regular shoppers say that his wife often aids him in the store and that his four grown daughters sometimes visit, only an elderly employee was in the bodega with Marte on Wednesday night.
    Marte purchased the bodega roughly a year ago.
    Neighbors say that the store has been the target of thieves in the past, and add that Marte deserves better.
    “He always tries to help you out,” said Joel Rivera, a 87th Street resident. Rivera recalled once being in the store with a woman who kept asking Marte the prices of items, only to return them to their shelves because she couldn’t afford them.
    “She didn’t want beer. She was trying to buy food for her kids. He (Marte) said: ‘Take it. When you got the money, come see me.’”
    Evaristo Sinarente, Marte’s brother, said of the Dominican Republic emigrant: “He’s a very good guy. He works hard every day.”
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Good for him

But its illegal to have a pistol in New York, why did the criminal have one?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Good for him

But its illegal to have a pistol in New York, why did the criminal have one?
    The goblin probably just hadn't gotten that far in his reading of the NY statutes. I'm sure that's it. Yeah...probably....
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Cool!
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Lead Moderator
    So much for bringing a "knife" to a gun fight!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Now there is a stand up guy who is on the "cutting edge" when it comes to self defense.

I hope the finger cut off was the dirt bags trigger finger.

Glad to see that the New York Gun bans are working about as well as our goofy laws here in CA.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    So much for bringing a "knife" to a gun fight!!
    The bringing a knife to a gun fight really is misleading within twenty feet it is easier and faster to deploy a knife than a gun. In my younger days I have demonstrated hundreds of times how I could draw a knife and gut someone long before they could get their gun out and fire. But things change as I age and slow down I am focusing more on my marksmanship than my swordsmanship. Still something we should be aware of. A knife attack is more covert and likely to be deadly than an assault with a gun. This article is an excellent case in point the scum bag already had his gun out and lost. Note: how they called the scumbag a "alleged thief". Should be dirt bag taking a dirt nap.
    Last edited by LongRider; November 16th, 2007 at 05:13 PM.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Horrifying, yet hilarious.

Like a sushi bar for bad guys.

good for him

Instead of "Shop & Save" it was "Chop & Shave"!
    There’s an old and true, military motto, “Si vis pacem, para bellum” - “If you want peace, prepare for war.”

Good for him. I used to service a lot of little bodegas like that when I lived in NY. Those guys work hard and most of them don't take cr*p from some goblin looking for easy money. Hats off to that store owner.

SY

The scores are just pouring in...

This one...

Bodega Shop Owners 1

BG's on a Stretcher 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Ahhh, a little slice of life...or Gee thats gona leave a mark!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links