One Lucky Cop/Thumb Safeties & Guns (Merged) - Page 2

One Lucky Cop/Thumb Safeties & Guns (Merged)

This is a discussion on One Lucky Cop/Thumb Safeties & Guns (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have met Capt. O'Neill. We shop at the same gun store, and, because he is in charge of the unit that runs background checks ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Lucky Cop/Thumb Safeties & Guns (Merged)

I have met Capt. O'Neill. We shop at the same gun store, and, because he is in charge of the unit that runs background checks for gun purchases in NV, I have heard him speak in meetings on this issue in the state Capitol. I am glad that he is okay. As for what happened, well, I was not there, so I will reserve comment. I am just glad he is okay. It is a good case though for a safety lever engaged on a pistol. I am sure Mr. Ayoob will have something to say about it in the near future.

he was lucky the bg's watched too many movies. this just reinforces my beleive that bad movies are great training for bad guys.they forget to load the weapon, forget the saftey, and seem to beleive that they can keep going forever with a .45 in their chest. very good thing for the capt. too since now hee gets to take note of his mistakes and learn from them, not exactly the most common occurance.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by Hondov65 View Post
    When the officer drew his weapon and backed away the suspects sensed fear. The officer reholstered and took an arse whipping just that simple. I would'a shot when confronted with the threat probably not to kill but to wound at first.
    Shoot to wound? I don't know how it is in Nevada, but here in NC there is no such thing as shoot to wound except for on TV. If you are justified in shooting a suspect, then you are justified to use DEADLY force. There is no level of force called shoot to wound. There is no kneecapping somone, no shooting the gun out of their hand, no shootiing in the leg so they fall down. An officer is either justified in using deadly force, or they are not. Shooting to wound is something found in movies and on tv only. Where would a person aim in order to shoot to wound someone? If the officer drew his gun, then he that he was justified in using deadly force and should have held the suspects at a safe distance until help arrived. Everyone makes a mistake now and then though. SOme people get lucky when they make a mistake, others pay for that mistake dearly.

There are several instances where a magazine safety (much hated by many) saved an officers life.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Very lucky officer, iam glad it turned out the way it did though....

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Shoot to wound? I don't know how it is in Nevada, but here in NC there is no such thing as shoot to wound except for on TV. If you are justified in shooting a suspect, then you are justified to use DEADLY force. There is no level of force called shoot to wound. There is no kneecapping somone, no shooting the gun out of their hand, no shootiing in the leg so they fall down. An officer is either justified in using deadly force, or they are not. Shooting to wound is something found in movies and on tv only. Where would a person aim in order to shoot to wound someone? If the officer drew his gun, then he that he was justified in using deadly force and should have held the suspects at a safe distance until help arrived. Everyone makes a mistake now and then though. SOme people get lucky when they make a mistake, others pay for that mistake dearly.
    I always shoot to wound, and hope that it kills.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Yes shoot to wound at first. There is something about killing a woman and a 17yr old kid, but I would have my distance as such to thwart of a charge with a series of double taps especially if I see no weapons. I also would have my kill zone established. BTW I'm not from NV but NC also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    "We are Texas Rangers sent by the Governor Himself and our jurisdiction is anywhere we happen to be." Agustus McCrae

Got A Problem? The Odds Aganist You? Call The Equalizer 212-555-4200

NRA Member
    S&W M&P .40, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 22

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondov65 View Post
    Yes shoot to wound at first. There is something about killing a woman and a 17yr old kid, but I would have my distance as such to thwart of a charge with a series of double taps especially if I see no weapons. I also would have my kill zone established. BTW I'm not from NV but NC also.
    You do not shoot to wound. You do not shoot to kill. You shoot to STOP THE THREAT. If the threat is stopped by wounding, so be it; if the threat is stopped by killing, so be it.

Disabuse yourself of this notion of shooting to wound. Your entire mindset must be geared toward shooting to stop the threat. Period.

The rest of your post makes no sense.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    We could speculate all day as to why he holstered his weapon, but the fact of the matter is he rushed into a scene that turned on him quickly. I'm very glad he made it out.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    You do not shoot to wound. You do not shoot to kill. You shoot to STOP THE THREAT. If the threat is stopped by wounding, so be it; if the threat is stopped by killing, so be it.

Disabuse yourself of this notion of shooting to wound. Your entire mindset must be geared toward shooting to stop the threat. Period.
    Thats what I said I just worded it differently.
    "We are Texas Rangers sent by the Governor Himself and our jurisdiction is anywhere we happen to be." Agustus McCrae

Got A Problem? The Odds Aganist You? Call The Equalizer 212-555-4200

NRA Member
    S&W M&P .40, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 22

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Ok, I hate to be the bubble burster...but this guy needs to rethink carrying a firearm. He clearly isn't willing to use it and it almost got him killed. It was only either sheer luck or devine intervention that the suspect was too stupid to figure out how the safety worked.
    That's what I was wondering!!

17 yrs old, "enrolled" in college, pursuing his GED certificate, and in his spare time is placing firearms to the foreheads of law enforcement officers. $100K bail? It's not enough.

Chief of records and tech, hm? Might well have a badge, but the records will probably show that he's got some training to do. Hard to armchair quarterback, from here, but jumping into the fray with a 3-person fight can easily turn ugly. It does for anyone else. Can easily for a single LEO (or records/tech dude), as in this case.

Ditto on the reticence. Could easily have killed him. He should speak with some knowledgeable firearms and tactics instructors, soon, to correct that problem. It'll come back to haunt him, next time he needs to find the desire.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    The attempted shooter is 21 and enrolled in the GED program at the local CC - his brother is 17.

I know it's nice to say "I would have shot them all," and it may even have been justified, but think how the headlines would look today - "Cop kills unarmed woman and teenager!" It appears that this officer went to break up a fight, one where two young men were having a go at a woman. One of the men made a move as if to draw a weapon, so the cop drew his. When the cop realized there was no weapon, he holstered his own. At this point, all three turn on him (nothing like a common enemy, right?) and a fight ensues.

Not having been there, of course, it seems to me like the officer made the right decisions based on his perceptions at the time. He didn't know all three would turn on him. He didn't know any of them would go for his gun. He knew he had three (apparently) unarmed people, one a teen and one a woman, who didn't present a deadly threat until it was basically too late for him to respond. Bad tactics, maybe, but cops have to face situations like this every single day, and they can't call in SWAT and/or shoot every belligerent actor that they come across...

As for "shooting to wound..." Purge that phrase from your vocabulary. Get rid of it, never even think it again. You are setting yourself up for failure on every front. Example - Someone is threatening you, but (in your mind) it isn't enough to justify killing them. You "shoot to wound." One of three things happens - you wound them, and are convicted of attempted murder because, by your own testimony, deadly force wasn't justified. You kill them, and are convicted of murder because, by your own testimony, you deadly force wasn't justified. You wound them, and they proceed to kill you because you didn't stop the threat. Take your pick, they all sound crappy to me...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Not having been there, of course, it seems to me like the officer made the right decisions based on his perceptions at the time. He didn't know all three would turn on him. He didn't know any of them would go for his gun. He knew he had three (apparently) unarmed people, one a teen and one a woman, who didn't present a deadly threat until it was basically too late for him to respond. Bad tactics, maybe, but cops have to face situations like this every single day, and they can't call in SWAT and/or shoot every belligerent actor that they come across...
    Agreed.

Tough situation. Should have had/used pepper spray or baton.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Good thing it wasn't a 1911! The BG would have known something was amiss when it wouldn't rack!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links