What is your take on this one?

This is a discussion on What is your take on this one? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Michigan Castle Doctrine states that a person can use that force necessary to protect himself or herself in their home or place of business. Michigan ...

Thread: What is your take on this one?

Michigan Castle Doctrine states that a person can use that force necessary to protect himself or herself in their home or place of business. Michigan firearm law also states that a proprietor of a business can carry a weapon to defend their place of business.

Look at this one though and comment if you can. The person firing the shots is both a minor and a relative of the business owner. I suspect that he will not be charged, but I thought this one might be worthy of discussion. Hopefully a positive result all around.

(Source: http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...EWS04/71119057)

Suspect shot after robbery is in critical condition

November 19, 2007

By Christy Arboscello

Free Press Staff Writer

A 22-year-old Fair Haven man, who was shot twice after holding up a Clinton Township liquor store at knifepoint, remains in critical condition at Henry Ford Macomb Hospital, police said today.

Meanwhile, Clinton Township police have obtained a warrant for his arrest on charges of armed robbery and assault with a dangerous weapon, township Police Capt. Richard Maierle said.

Scott Zielinski has been in the intensive care unit since the Thursday night botched robbery of Nick’s Short Stop on Cass. Police say he entered the business at 7:30 p.m. and pulled out a knife on the 23-year-old clerk. After emptying about $800 from two registers, grabbing cigarettes and liquor, he tried to flee. But the clerk’s 17-year-old brother shot him in the arm and chest in the doorway.

Zielinski was placed on parole Oct. 18 after serving one year and seven months in jail for a bank robbery in Warren, Maierle said.

VIP Member
    Not enough information to comment on the incident other than to say... it looks like the gene pool may soon be a little cleaner!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I dunno...a truly positive result(my personal opinion), would be that the BG didn't have the opportunity to ever complete said action again. Unfortunately, given our current justice system(and medical advances), he most likely will have the ability to try again...and probably will try again in 3 or 4 years. Kudo's to the 17yrd relative though.

Just my $0.03
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

"Zielinski was placed on parole Oct. 18 after serving one year and seven months in jail for a bank robbery in Warren, Maierle said."

Kind of a light sentence for a bank robbery. Wonder why the feds did not charge him?

Quote Originally Posted by Aelbric View Post
    Zielinski was placed on parole Oct. 18 after serving one year and seven months in jail for a bank robbery in Warren, Maierle said.
    Out for one month and he's back to robbing already. This is why I have no respect for parole boards.

I'll wait for further facts before judging this one. However,

"Zielinski was placed on parole Oct. 18 after serving one year and seven months in jail for a bank robbery in Warren, Maierle said.:

if anyone is charged, it should be the member of that parole board. How dare they turn this creep loose on the public so quickly.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

It's legally risky to shoot a BG when he's leaving the scene, but we don't know if he was still perceived as a threat by the young man who pulled the tigger. I kind of hope the BG will not be in a condition to testify against the shooter.

It's Michigan. Let them out as soon as possible. As far as the shooting, not enough to go on. For the record. Zielinski had 2 charges; 1: Conspiracy-Bank Robbery, 2: Bank Robbery. The date of the offense is 2/16/2006 and the date of sentence is 7/27/2007. He received 1 Year, 7 months as the minimun and 20 years as his max behind bars in Michigan's prison system for each to be served consectutive. He was Paroled 10/18/07. This information is available to the public on the Department of Corrections web site , Offender Search. Must be a new record for doing, court, time, paroled, and getting shot. Excellent work by the young man in my opinon.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Would have been better if the kid had more time to practice and work on COM shots....or failure-to-stop drills.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I get so fed up with all these dirtbags committing one offense after another...no remorse...no care of fellow human beings...
    It's a shame he only got a year for 'armed robbery' in the first place. It's also a shame the kid didn't help Mr. Z take a 'dirt nap'...OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

...for the kid!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can't believe a year in jail didn't reform the man?? I'm glad the kid was able to help out and hope there's no retaliation. It's stuff like this that keeps me going to the range...
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Aelbric View Post
    Michigan Castle Doctrine states that a person can use that force necessary to protect himself or herself in their home or place of business. Michigan firearm law also states that a proprietor of a business can carry a weapon to defend their place of business.

Look at this one though and comment if you can. The person firing the shots is both a minor and a relative of the business owner. I suspect that he will not be charged, but I thought this one might be worthy of discussion. Hopefully a positive result all around.

(Source: http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...EWS04/71119057)

Suspect shot after robbery is in critical condition

November 19, 2007

By Christy Arboscello

Free Press Staff Writer

A 22-year-old Fair Haven man, who was shot twice after holding up a Clinton Township liquor store at knifepoint, remains in critical condition at Henry Ford Macomb Hospital, police said today.

Meanwhile, Clinton Township police have obtained a warrant for his arrest on charges of armed robbery and assault with a dangerous weapon, township Police Capt. Richard Maierle said.

Scott Zielinski has been in the intensive care unit since the Thursday night botched robbery of Nick’s Short Stop on Cass. Police say he entered the business at 7:30 p.m. and pulled out a knife on the 23-year-old clerk. After emptying about $800 from two registers, grabbing cigarettes and liquor, he tried to flee. But the clerk’s 17-year-old brother shot him in the arm and chest in the doorway.

not enough info on this yet but, served 1.7yrs then let out for bank robbery?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I agree. "Stop or I'll empty the full clip in your head."

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like the 17 y/o needs a bigger gun and more practice

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Sponsored Links