Commissioner arrested after pulling out gun

This is a discussion on Commissioner arrested after pulling out gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Classic case of the judiciary making the system not work. Had he been convicted in the first place (which resisting arrest while intoxicated should have ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Commissioner arrested after pulling out gun

Classic case of the judiciary making the system not work. Had he been convicted in the first place (which resisting arrest while intoxicated should have put it over the edge) then he would not have a CWP to be flashing around. He could even now be a felon after this last incident. I wouldn't doubt he was intoxicated this time. His behavior sure smacks of it.

The Police can arrest all they can but if the judiciary keeps letting them escape the consequences of their actions, we all are the losers.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The DA bumped his charges up to Aggravated Assault with a Firearm:

Suspended Miramar Commissioner Fitzroy Salesman now faces felony case -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Now, he's looking at a mandatory 3 year minimum prison sentence.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    The DA bumped his charges up to Aggravated Assault with a Firearm:

Suspended Miramar Commissioner Fitzroy Salesman now faces felony case -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Now, he's looking at a mandatory 3 year minimum prison sentence.

That’s the outcome of Florida’s Governor reviewing the case himself.

His first step was to suspend Commissioner Fitzroy Salesman, and then he had the FDLE help the local DA investigate the charges to see if the original charges where the correct ones, that should have been files.

Glad to see this case is not being swept under the carpet.

Senior Moderator
    Just as a point of interest, then Governor Bush suspended Salesman during his first arrest.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Senior Moderator
    The video is quite clear. Salesman waits for the guy and initiates the confrontation where he pulled the gun.

From reading that article it appears this is the Third time he has been arrested. First in 1998 for public intoxication (got the anger management class) Then for DUI and eluding Police just 8 months ago and now...

Stupid is becoming more common.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I think pointing a loaded gun at the guy in the store was unjustified. He actually touched him with it, should get him arrested. That is about as dangerous as it gets with out killing somebody. The aggravated assault charge is right in line with what apparently happened.

That man has no business being out in public with a loaded gun. He just demonstrated that conclusively. He isn't going to change.

Fitch

VIP Member
    I guess it is ok though, afterall he is a democrat. His party will probably put forward that it was a republican consperacy to get him!!

Someone keep us informed on this. I really doubt that anything will come of this except possibly probation if even that. Some city councilmen have a way of spinning things to their benefit. Does Marion Barry sound familiar?

VIP Member
    Quick personal story about this event. The day the video was released I was at work in the lunch room having my break. At my table were 2 other workers and fellow CCWs (one black and the other hispanic) and after watching the video on TV, we went on to comment about how the full force of law should be visited upon this idiot not only for the crime but because he also give us a bad name. From another table chimes in your typical uneducated young liberal lady spouting the standard regalia of why guns should be banned, that only rednecks have guns (which considering the people present made me wonder if she was blind or just highly stupid) and how when too many people have guns, killings happen. I know I should have kept myself in check but I just could not resist and told her that amazingly, very few shootings if any occur in gun ranges where almost everybody not only has a gun but they are loaded and being shot. She blinked hard and asked how that was possible. My answer was "We tend to shoot back if you shoot at us."
    She pretty much shut up and went back to her meal.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    ....I wonder if the FBI's Public Corruptions Squad was notified about this....if not, they should be.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Sounds like the commissioner may have an over inflated ego.
    You would think he might have enough sense to keep that gun in it's holster. Maybe the police will pull the permit.

VIP Member
    Update! Saleman got a pass. Found guilty of the lesser charge of Improper exhibition of a firearm.

Miami News, Fort Lauderdale News, Florida News & Weather Channel 7 Fox Miami WSVN-TV - Ex-Miramar commissioner found guilty on lesser charge

Ex-Miramar commissioner found guilty on lesser charge
    Ex-Miramar commissioner found guilty on lesser charge
    Related Article Links

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (WSVN) -- Embattled ex-Miramar commissioner Fitzroy Salesman has been found guilty of a lesser charge after he pointed a gun on a teen at a supermarket.

The jury delivered their verdict at the end deliberations late Tuesday afternoon. Salesman stood accused of pulling a gun and threatening a teen with his .45-caliber semi-automatic inside a Winn-Dixie store on Nov. 21, 2007. He has a concealed weapons permit. The jury decided to charge him with improper exhibition of a firearm, which carries also carries a lesser penalty.

After the verdict was read, Salesman said he felt relieved by the decision and said he has always had faith in the justice system. "It is a victory because my entire life has been shredded," he said.

Salesman had hoped to be re-elected after his first trial ended in a mistrial. Despite his suspension from office by the governor, following the mistrial, he ran for re-election. He came in last in the number of votes against four other candidates.

In closing arguments earlier on Tuesday, Prosecutor Jeanette Camacho said Salesman never felt threatened, and he initiated the whole ordeal that night. "He is clearly walking after him, making sure he gets to him before he leaves the store. He stops him from leaving. That day, someone could have been shot in that store," she said.

Defense attorney Eric Schwartzreich countered by saying Salesman pulled out the gun for his own protection. "Think about the absurdity of the argument: He pulled out a gun at the Winn-Dixie because the self-checkout lanes were closed?" he said. "This man, who is a two-time elected commissioner and who was in the military, but he's so crazy and so hopped-up, that he's pulling out the gun for protection in Winn-Dixie, because he pulled out the gun for protection in the Winn-Dixie to defend himself?"

Salesman took the witness stand in his defense Monday at the Broward County Courthouse. "I didn't do anything," he said. "I meant no disrespect. I didn't even know you were in line, and that's when he started telling me, 'Let's take it outside, let's take it outside, let's take it outside."

The first trial had ended in a mistrial on March 3, after a juror brought a dictionary into deliberations. Salesman's defense attorney had argued that bringing the book into the jury room violated the rules set out at the beginning of the trial, when jurors were told not to bring anything into deliberations that was not provided by the court. The judge agreed and declared the mistrial.

(Copyright 2009 by Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Sounds like he just scraped by, and that he is a major jackazz...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links