Commissioner arrested after pulling out gun

This is a discussion on Commissioner arrested after pulling out gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not only I am posting it because of the misuse of the gun by a pol, but I think the article itself was well written ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Commissioner arrested after pulling out gun

VIP Member

Not only I am posting it because of the misuse of the gun by a pol, but I think the article itself was well written and without the usual antigun BS.

MIRAMAR
    Miramar City Commissioner Fitzroy Salesman was arrested by police after he pulled out a gun in Winn-Dixie.
    Posted on Mon, Nov. 26, 2007
    BY NATALIE P. McNEAL
    nmcneal@MiamiHerald.com

MIAMI HERALD FILE PHOTO
    Miramar City Commissioner Fitzroy Salesman was arrested by police after he pulled out a gun in Winn-Dixie.Miramar City Commissioner Fitzroy Salesman, who was arrested for pointing a semiautomatic gun in a Winn-Dixie, causing shoppers to scurry in fear, seemed to be in a sour mood that night because the self-checkout line wasn't open, according to a cashier.

The cashier said Salesman was apparently so peeved at having to stand in line with other Thanksgiving eve shoppers, he showed his business card to another cashier and said, ``Do you know who I am? I will shut this b**** down.''

Salesman, 50, must appear in court Dec. 26 on a charge of improper exhibition of a firearm -- a misdemeanor. It is his second arrest by Miramar police in 2 ˝ years. In the first incident, a Broward jury found Salesman not guilty of driving under the influence and fleeing police.

About 10:30 p.m. Wednesday, police got a call about an assault with a firearm at the Winn-Dixie.

People on the scene described Salesman, the person with the ''big gun,'' as wearing a yellow shirt and black pants. The Winn-Dixie, at 3108 S. University Dr., has banned Salesman from the store.

Salesman did not return phone calls on Sunday.

But a draft report by Miramar police states that Salesman said, ``I pulled out my gun to defend myself.''

According to the draft report, Salesman told police an argument started with someone inside the store.

The other person went for his waistband, and Salesman told police he felt ``threatened.''

The report states that officers viewed a tape of the incident, and the victim was ``trying to avoid further conflict.''

The surveilance video shows Salesman went over to a man paying for groceries, according to the report. On the tape Salesman seemed to reach inside the man's shopping cart and say something to him.

After the man paid for his groceries, he tried to leave the store. Salesman followed the man, circling in front to stop him from leaving, the report stated.

Salesman pulled his gun from the small of his back and pointed it at the man in an angry and threatening manner, according to the police report.

The cashier who worked that night, who did not want her name published, said Salesman called the man a ''*****'' several times and touched him with the gun.

The cashier said the man, who looked to be in his early 20s, left the store. ''I don't think he wanted any problems so he walked off,'' the cashier said.

''Everybody was scared,'' she said.

Some shoppers and cashiers ran to the back of the store and others ducked.

At the scene, police confiscated the .45-caliber Springfield semiautomatic from Salesman. The gun had one round in the chamber and six rounds in the magazine.

The officer took Salesman's concealed weapons license, which he showed police when they approached him at the store.

Salesman was first elected to the Miramar City Commission in 2001 and reelected in 2005.

Salesman has had several brushes with police.

Before his 2005 DUI charge on which he was found not guilty, police responded to a disturbance call in 1998 at a bar in Miami-Dade County and charged Salesman with resisting an officer without violence and disorderly intoxication.

In lieu of prosecution, a judge ordered him into a pretrial intervention program for first-time offenders. He completed anger-management classes.

In 2002, Salesman was fired from his Miami-Dade teaching job after students in a TV production class at Miami Lakes Technical Education Center filmed a profanity-laced tape while under his supervision.

At the time, Salesman said he didn't see the finished product and had no idea the tape was so graphic.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Before his 2005 DUI charge on which he was found not guilty, police responded to a disturbance call in 1998 at a bar in Miami-Dade County and charged Salesman with resisting an officer without violence and disorderly intoxication.

In lieu of prosecution, a judge ordered him into a pretrial intervention program for first-time offenders. He completed anger-management classes.

Looks like the classes helped...uh, well, maybe not.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

hmmm...MOOC,moron out of control for sure,what made him go off his nut...just turkey day and standing in Line?It is probley a good thing knowone Gobble-Gobbled at him too!

Sounds like someone needs to see some penalty for his actions.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

That is surreal. My Lord, how do people get to that point? That seems to be the pinnacle of self righteousness and self-centered behavior. Nutty! Thanks for the post. --Rossman

"The gun had one round in the chamber and six rounds in the magazine."
    they always write this kinda stuff in these stories.
    just wondering... why? who cares

What a nut. Wonder how the anti's will use this one against us...
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Senior Moderator
    What an idiot. I hope he gets his
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Party?

I can only assume, after reading hundreds of news stories, that the man is a Democrat. If he were a Republican, party affiliation would appear in the the first sentence (if not the story intro).

Do a search on your own - you will be enlightened.

This is an issue of politics in the media.

[Yes, my tinfoil hat is firmly stapled to my head.]

VIP Member
    Yep, he is a democrat.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

They need to lock this guy away....

From the info on the Florida Dept of Ag's web site this guy should go to jail for three years. We can only hope he does.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/wea...f_defense.html

Q. What if I point my handgun at someone but don't use it?

A. Never display a handgun to gain "leverage" in an argument. Threatening someone verbally while possessing a handgun, even licensed, will land you in jail for three years. Even if the gun is broken or you don't have bullets, you will receive the mandatory three-year sentence if convicted. The law does not allow any possibility of getting out of jail early.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Wow. I'm not for restricting control of firearms pre-emptively, but some people...well, let's just say our society is cheating Darwin.

And it must rather suck going through life with a name like Salesman.
    Wife, answering the door: "Honey, Salesman's here"
    Husband, otherwise preoccupied: "Tell him we're not buying and send him away."
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    A. Never display a handgun to gain "leverage" in an argument. Threatening someone verbally while possessing a handgun, even licensed, will land you in jail for three years. Even if the gun is broken or you don't have bullets, you will receive the mandatory three-year sentence if convicted. The law does not allow any possibility of getting out of jail early.
    This is the problem that I have with statute summarization. I doubt (though I could be wrong, not familiar at all with FL law) that the law actually says threatening while possessing a handgun is a crime. Threatening while displaying a handgun I could see, sure. And since the paragraph has to do with displaying or brandishing, I'm guessing that's the intent. But the sentence in bold could indicate that even if you threatened while carrying concealed, and never even touched your piece, you'd automatically be going to jail for three years.

And of course, there's no links to any specific statutes, so we're supposed to take the words that are typed in by a webmaster which were dictated by a gofer, who got them in a memo from an undersecretary.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

This guy needs to be the example of what a bad gun owner looks like--and people voted him to represent them!!

He needs to be made an example of...a poor example of a CCW holder, poor firearm owner, poor representative, and a bully. He needs to go to jail.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links