Attempted Robbery At Mall: Douglasville, GA

This is a discussion on Attempted Robbery At Mall: Douglasville, GA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.cbs46.com/news/14694206/detail.html DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. -- A suspect and a security guard were shot during an attempted robbery at a shopping mall Monday, while a lunchtime crowd ...

Thread: Attempted Robbery At Mall: Douglasville, GA

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

http://www.cbs46.com/news/14694206/detail.html

DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. -- A suspect and a security guard were shot during an attempted robbery at a shopping mall Monday, while a lunchtime crowd ducked for cover, officials and witnesses said.

The guard's injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, said Bill Ball, general manager of the Arbor Place Mall. Police said the suspect's wounds were more severe.

The events unfolded while a Brinks guard was entering the mall to service some of the ATM machines, Ball said.

Douglasville Police Chief Joe Whisenant said it happened a few minutes after noon.

He said the security guard was inside on the second floor when the would-be robber approached and put a gun to the guard's head. They scuffled and both men fired, with the guard hit in the leg and the suspect in the mouth, Whisenant said.

Both men were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta. The suspect underwent emergency surgery Monday afternoon, the chief said.

Neither man's identity was immediately released. Whisenant said the suspect is 41 years old and from DeKalb County on Atlanta's eastern side.

He also said that money, the apparent target of the robbery, was recovered.

A witness, Denise Shipp of Douglasville, said she was eating lunch in the mall's food court with her husband Jon when they heard gunshots. She said her husband saw the guard tackle the suspect and hold him on ground.

She said people in the food court were diving under tables, holding up chairs and hiding behind partition walls.

A bullet hole was visible in a window over the mall's front entrance -- its apparent trajectory from the shooting scene passing directly above the food court and an indoor playground.

Mall officials were unsure if any children were on the playground when the shooting happened, but eyewitnesses said they saw parents grabbing children from the playground and running away.

Another bullet tore through a laminated sign at the Auntie Anne's pretzel stand, narrowly missing employee Catrina Lemley and manager Sharon Wilson.

"I was fixing a Coke for a customer. I heard gunshots and I saw pieces of the sign flying out. My manager told me to get down," said Lemley, 19, who is eight months pregnant. "It was scary."

Diana Shasta, 30, manager of Friedman's Marketing Services, was in the food court with a couple of coworkers near the crime scene.

"It was pop, pop, pop, pop, and then you knew," Shasta said.

She said she saw people running from the food court "with terror on their faces."

"I've never been so frightened in my life," she said. "Everybody was running for their lives, grabbing their babies, pulling their friends."

Douglasville police put the mall under lockdown, not letting anyone in or out, for a brief period during the immediate aftermath of the shooting.

The mall manager told The Associated Press that a second suspect was arrested. But Whisenant said the wounded man is the only known suspect in the case.

By mid-afternoon, yellow crime scene tape still surrounded the Brinks truck, which remained outside the mall entrance, but traffic was being allowed in and out of mall freely. The mall's sound system was playing Christmas tunes.

Douglasville police did not immediately return a call for comment from The Associated Press.

Douglasville is 21 miles west of Atlanta.

Too bad the guard got shot, but it seems that the BG got the worst of it.

I can't believe all the CRAP the BG's creat every single day...one just cannot afford to go unarmed...anywhere!

Glad the guard is OK...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A reason I don't go to the Mall here. It's a gun free zone.

It's strange, I cannot go to a Mall or in a Church but I can go into a Bank. huh?

Glad the guard came out ok also.

I shop at that mall on occasion. It got me thinking what I would have done when the shooting started.

I am not going to fault anyone in this case other than the BG but incidents like this scare me. In a crowded mall guns going off could easily hit lots of innocent bystanders. It appears that the guard reacted and pulled his gun causing a shootout between the two and bullets went flying everywhere. What if he had done what is usually recommended and turned over the money without pulling his gun, would the BG have fired any shots? Just glad that no one else was hit but we must remember that in a crowded area it is very possible that our shots don't always hit just the BG and sometimes it may be better just to let them have the money and let the police worry about catching them.

Its that time of year

With Christmas comes a spike in armed robberies. There have been several armored car and bank robberies in the Metro Atlanta area recently. This one was very brazen during the day inside the mall. I have seen Brinks guard pick up money before and usually the guard has his firearm in his hand. I wonder if the mall discouraged this and opened the door for an attack?

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I heard about this story on the radio news yesterday. The lead line was "Shooting at Georgia mall". My first thought was "oh no, a reason to rile up the anti's". But the story line should have said reported that the shooting happened during a robbery. Which gives the story a whole different meaning.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member
    When I first started reading the article, I was surprised that the security guy was armed! Then I see an armored car was involved.....it looks like it was the target.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I am not going to fault anyone in this case other than the BG but incidents like this scare me. In a crowded mall guns going off could easily hit lots of innocent bystanders. It appears that the guard reacted and pulled his gun causing a shootout between the two and bullets went flying everywhere. What if he had done what is usually recommended and turned over the money without pulling his gun, would the BG have fired any shots? Just glad that no one else was hit but we must remember that in a crowded area it is very possible that our shots don't always hit just the BG and sometimes it may be better just to let them have the money and let the police worry about catching them.
    Handing over the money is well and good, but there's no guarantee the BG will just take it and run. We've all heard of victims who cooperate fully and still end up dead. I could see the guard being led out to his truck and shot after opening it, or being shot right there, and the BG escaping in the ensuing panic.

In the guard's shoes, I think he did the right thing by resisting. I would hope he took his firing lane and backstop into consideration, though.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

As I said I am not faulting anyone other than the robber but I do worry about this happening with five armed mall ninjas nearby all trying to be "Dirty Harry", filling the entire mall with bullets. The only guarantee in a robbery is it won't go as planned, someone is going to screw it up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    .....with five armed mall ninjas nearby...........
    I don't know of any malls around here that have armed security....Are armed security at malls common?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I've often wondered about these brinks folks...not the brightest bulbs in the pack (no offense if you are one - just mean from the corp/rules standpoint). Don't they usually at least have one partner on the truck? Anyone have any firsthand knowledge of that one? The only ones I've ever seen always had 2 guards and both had holstered(and snapped) handguns.
    I wonder if they upped the ante and had the second guard carrying an AR or Carbine of some sort at low ready and actually GUARDING the other guard doing the real work. That at least might be a bit of discouragement for the BG's.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Remember those two armored guard guys that were ambushed and shot in Philly last month? Lets not assume the guy started the shootout over money, but if he did, isn't that his job? When the BG brings a gun, especially to an armed guard, we can't predict what he's going to do with it. It's not a fair fight, the BG doesn't get to shoot first to prove his intentions, that just makes for dead GGs.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links