Redskin Sean Taylor Shot by Home Intruder, Passed Away At Hospital: Merged

This is a discussion on Redskin Sean Taylor Shot by Home Intruder, Passed Away At Hospital: Merged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Something that just came to mind in regard to Taylor. He is a person who had been convicted of a gun crime (brandishing) and was ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redskin Sean Taylor Shot by Home Intruder, Passed Away At Hospital: Merged

Something that just came to mind in regard to Taylor.
    He is a person who had been convicted of a gun crime (brandishing) and was on parole. He couldn't have legally purchased nor possessed a firearm.
    Assumedly his wife was clear and thus could have purchased and possessed but she would not have been able to keep/store as much in the same residence where he would be living.
    For them the only choice was a bladed weapon, if not a good alert dog.

This is yet another reason why it pays to keep your nose clean.
    Once your freedoms are removed or even reduced you then become all the better and easier prey for predators.
    All he needed was a shotgun and one shell. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

If you are earning the kind of money he was earning then you can afford to have a much more sophisticated home defense system including an armed guard around after dark. I think that hubris may have played a role here.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    Femoral arteries are bad news. They're elasticized, and when they're severed, they retract back up into the abdominal camera. Chances are he'd mostly bled out by the time the paras arrived.
    very true,second largest artery in the body.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

What I heard in regards to the security system was that it wasn't armed because his GF's sister was in and out of the house. I do agree though,just him(Taylor) firing one shot through his bedroom door probably would have saved his life,either hitting a BG or making them get the heck out. If you've got the money he does,you know you'll be a target.

By the way,in regards to Janq's comments,I heard Taylor's attorney say that brandishing conviction was tossed out and he plead guilty to disorderly conduct(misdemeanor) and nothing more. So unless there's something else on his record, he could possess a firearm in the house,don't know about CCW though.

He chose NOT to set his alarm...
    No dog?
    Mixing with a bad group only a week or two before this incident?
    Shots fired through the friend's home where the first incident occurred?
    He didn't plan for more trouble?
    Previous gun related incident? Pleaded no contest!
    Convicted felon?

There HAS to be much more to this story...much more!

Stay armed...plan ahead, way ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Not trying to second guess this unfortunate event but, some quicker and more composed thinking on the part of his girlfriend might have bettered his chances of survival.
    Possibly some Emergency First Aid training would have helped also.
    They said on the TV news that she was hiding under the bed covers.
    Also...under bedcovers - not the most strategically brilliant place to shield oneself from possible impending bullets.
    But, she was I'm sure mighty frightened and that did affect her rational thinking.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    As a long time Redskins fan, I'm in mourning. The team has lost a potential hall of fame player, which of course pales to the loss of a young girl's father. While he had a troubled past, he had done a good job of starting to clean up his act. His neighbors thought highly of him as a quiet, polite, and respectful young man. And his change had made it's way to the skin's locker room, where he had become a leader. As far as the report of him going downstairs with a machete, the reports that I've read said that he had grabbed the machete, but was shot in his bedroom as the invaders came through the bedroom door. If it had been me, I would have had my wife get into the bathroom (accessible only from the bedroom, and I would have been on the floor, half in the bathroom, the rest behind the dresser, with my gun aimed at the door, ready to shoot the first person through the door. As far as the first aid treatment for his wound, while direct pressure is always the first step with a bleeding wound, in this case it would probably have been the first time that I have ever used a tourniquet. It's funny, because on another board, where there was a discussion of which tourniquet would be best for a first aid kit, I took the position that a tourniquet was the least needed piece of equipment, a task which could be easily handled by a triangular bandage, that was useful for many other things. In 22 years of riding an ambulance as a Paramedic, I never once ever used a tourniquet. Sean would have been my first. In any event, his passing is a loss to his family, friends, the Redskins, and all of the team's fans, that respected him as a terrific player. He will be missed.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Since dogs were mentioned, I thought that this portion of a story in the Wqashington Post would be of interest. Seems he had them, but got rid of them. Story's URL:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2007112601173

"The one-story, four-bedroom residence here is large -- about 3,700 square feet, with four baths. It sits behind several palm trees and a white masonry wall about six feet high. Two black-painted metal gates control entry to the curving drive. A screened-in swimming pool is in the back.

Once he moved in, Taylor built a fence so that he could keep dogs -- pit bulls. Sometimes the dogs would burrow under the fence, the neighbors said. Eventually, Taylor no longer kept the pit bulls at the house, although, neighbors said, they might have foiled the intruder."

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Something that just came to mind in regard to Taylor.
    He is a person who had been convicted of a gun crime (brandishing) and was on parole. He couldn't have legally purchased nor possessed a firearm.
    Assumedly his wife was clear and thus could have purchased and possessed but she would not have been able to keep/store as much in the same residence where he would be living.
    For them the only choice was a bladed weapon, if not a good alert dog.

This is yet another reason why it pays to keep your nose clean.
    Once your freedoms are removed or even reduced you then become all the better and easier prey for predators.
    All he needed was a shotgun and one shell. :|

- Janq
    I would have still learned how to shoot a BLack powder pistol and possible invested in 2-3 six shooters.....
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post

2. A Leg Wound can be fatal! - Have your family members complete first aid training. Had direct pressure been applied, perhaps the massive blood loss could have been curtailed - giving doctor's a better chance of saving his life.
    I might argue this one with you, Rob. The wrong kind of leg wound will usually be fatal. I was very worried when I learned he was critical from a leg wound.

If you hit the femoral artery (especially high on the leg, which it sounds like this bullet did), it is damned difficult for anyone to do anything if you're not standing in a surgical gown with doctors at the ready. Blood loss is TREMENDOUS, especially in that elevated state. In a conditioned athelete, the body is very good at pushing blood everywhere it needs to go. That particular artery is about the biggest thing you've got next to your aorta, so the capacity is huge.

During WWI, German soldiers were told to aim the 8mm 98's at the legs and pelvis (the idea being to take up more people trying to save a man that would die anyway, obviously).

This is a tragedy, and my heart hurts for his new daughter and her mother. Toward an end that is but another beginning, I hope he is at peace. I did read that, in an interview in April, he said that if God took him now, he was happy.

Another reminder that football is just a game.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I would have still learned how to shoot a BLack powder pistol and possible invested in 2-3 six shooters.....
    Usually when a convicted criminal is on parole they are not allowed to posses or have access to a firearm at all, period.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Often on probation or parole they aren't even allowed to handle archery equipement or have in personal possession a blade of more than 3" in length.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links