Redskin Sean Taylor Shot by Home Intruder, Passed Away At Hospital: Merged

This is a discussion on Redskin Sean Taylor Shot by Home Intruder, Passed Away At Hospital: Merged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/27/obit.taylor/index.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

JD
    Administrator
    From the above link.

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor died Tuesday, a day after he was shot by "an intruder who forcibly entered his residence," Miami police said.

Police said in a statement that Taylor, 24, died at 3:30 a.m. at a Miami hospital and they were treating the case as a homicide.

"The blood loss was too much. He didn't make it," said Taylor's former attorney, Richard Sharpstein, on CNN's "American Morning."

In Washington, the owner of the NFL's Redskins, Daniel Snyder, called Taylor's killing "the worst imaginable tragedy."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Sean's family," Snyder said in a statement.

Snyder's team plans to honor Taylor on Tuesday by painting his jersey number -- 21 -- in a grassy parking area at the team's FedExField stadium in Virginia. Fans will be allowed to leave tributes.

Sharpstein said that from the time of the attack, Taylor never regained consciousness.

"There was a brief moment where a nurse felt him squeeze her hand but that was false hope," the attorney said.

He called Taylor's death "completely tragic and unnecessary violence" and said he would be sorely missed.

"People loved him and he will be long missed by many, many people -- not just his fans, but the family and friends that knew him well," Sharpstein said. Watch fans mourn Taylor's death »

At 1:45 a.m. Monday, a woman identified as Taylor's girlfriend called 911 and said someone had been shot. Taylor was airlifted to Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told police what happened as she was hiding under bedcovers during the attack.

"Sean was awakened with his girlfriend and 18-month old baby," Sharpstein said. There were "noises, thumps in the living room." Taylor "got up and locked the bedroom door. Before he could do anything, the door was kicked in and two shots were fired -- one hit him in the leg, one went into the wall."

Taylor "was on the floor, non-responsive, bleeding out and chest heaving, eyes rolled back and he was pretty much gone from that point on," Sharpstein said.

Taylor's girlfriend "tried to call 911 and it's unclear whether the phone lines were cut or the phone was broken or off or unplugged or turned off," said Sharpstein. "She had to use her cell phone to eventually call 911."

"Whether this was a purposeful action in taking Sean's life or in shooting him or whether it was a burglary gone awry, the police are still investigating those circumstances," Sharpstein said.

The attorney said Taylor was home unexpectedly due to an injury, and "no one expected him there."

"I think he was surprised or they were surprised to find him there," Sharpstein said.

Lt. Nancy Perez with the Miami-Dade Police Department said investigators were looking for an "unknown suspect."

Taylor's home also was reported broken into eight days earlier on November 18, according to Miami-Dade police.

During that incident, someone forced open a window and left a kitchen knife on a bed, according to the police report. Several drawers and a bedroom safe had been searched during the break-in, the report said.

No one knows whether the first invasion is related to Monday's attack, Sharpstein said. "It is a high probability that it was the same people or some related people that returned."

According to the police report, Taylor's mother reported the break-in, saying it occurred while the house was empty. Police found a window pried open, but could not confirm if anything was missing.

Observers searching for a motive for his killing put Taylor's police record under renewed scrutiny. In 2005, he was arrested after he was accused of waving a gun at people he believed were stealing his all-terrain vehicles, according to Sharpstein.

"He got into fisticuffs, but no gun," Sharpstein said.

After originally being charged with aggravated assault, Taylor pleaded to a misdemeanor battery in the case, Sharpstein said. A civil suit stemming from the case remains open. "There's still a lot of open ends to that," he said.

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs called the incident a "tragedy" and said neither he nor the team had "experienced anything like this."

Taylor spent four years with the Redskins and was recovering from a sprained right knee at the time of the attack. He didn't play in Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, which the Redskins lost 19-13.

Taylor was a first-round pick in the 2004 draft, according to his team's Web site. He played at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. He had been a high school standout in the city.

Dubbing him as "the prototype NFL free safety" the Redskins credited Taylor's team-leading tackling prowess for sending him to his first Pro Bowl after 2006.

He was regarded as one of the hardest hitting players in the league. Taylor recorded 257 tackles (206 solo) during his brief career, two sacks and seven interceptions, according to the team Web

Man, this really sucks. Sure he had some issues off the field but he looked like he was getting his act together since his daughter was born. I have been a Redskins fan since George Allen was the coach and I don't remember a safety with as much potential as Sean Taylor had. He had the speed of a Darryl Green and he would hit like Pat Fisher. Just an incredible player that looked to only be getting better. He will be missed.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Redskin Sean Taylor Shot by Home Intruder, Passed Away At Hospital

READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE....

For those of you who believe in protecting your home & family, there are some important items to consider in this case...

Consider the following:

1. A Machete, Knife or Sword is NOT a viable means to protect your home! - A safely secured Firearm, loaded and in the hands of a trained person is the only REAL means of defending your home & family. "Never bring a knife to a gun fight" applies here.

2. A Leg Wound can be fatal! - Have your family members complete first aid training. Had direct pressure been applied, perhaps the massive blood loss could have been curtailed - giving doctor's a better chance of saving his life.

3. What happens when there is no 9-1-1? Katrina Victims found out what happens when lines are down, the Taylor's were delayed in getting emergency services because of intentionally cut phone lines. Do you have a charged cell phone near your bed?

Protect your home with a Gun.

Train each member of your family in First Aid.

Have an Emergency Plan and practice it.

Charge your cell phone in your bed room.

The Holidays see more break-ins & robberies than any other time of year - Be well & God Bless!
    Last edited by JD; November 27th, 2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: removed news story as it is posted above.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Thanks for posting. You make excellent points.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Agreed. ^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

There are some other important features besides just learning to protect your home with a gun. For starters, there are those (some even on this board) that advocate keeping their gun in a nightstand or some even a locked nightstand... clearly a bad move here.
    There were "noises, thumps in the living room." Taylor "got up and locked the bedroom door. Before he could do anything, the door was kicked in and two shots were fired -- one hit him in the leg, one went into the wall."
    So the time it took him to get up and lock the door was all it took before he was shot. Does that sound like you're going to have time to get your gun out of your nightstand? Doubtful...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Interior doors are not going to stop anyone who has just breached your exterior doors. If the BG's hear you fiddling with the lock, guess what is about to happen - more than likely your imminent death. I'm behind the mattress and box springs with the AR aimed at my bedroom door. I'm am now in fear of my life and the next idiot through those doors will be stopped.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Agreed again, Packin.

This is exactly why I'm personally a big fan of having atleast one dog around.
    They are an early warning system. Dog sees/hears person(s) poking around and goes bark buying the household time (seconds) to respond such as secure a sidearm and/or locate the phone.

Another one is how some people are of the belief that being youthful or in good physical conditioning is enough and that use of a firearm is for wimps.
    Yeah uh huh, right. Bullets bore through skin, muscle, and break bones, even those of big/tough/physically strong persons.

If as much can happen to him who had no doubt a home alarm and as shown on the news lived behind a tall fence and gates, then it can happen to any of us more normal and less secure persons.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Femoral arteries are bad news. They're elasticized, and when they're severed, they retract back up into the abdominal camera. Chances are he'd mostly bled out by the time the paras arrived.

VIP Member
    I just heard on the radio that both phone and power were cut down.
    "There were "noises, thumps in the living room." Taylor "got up and locked the bedroom door. Before he could do anything, the door was kicked in and two shots were fired -- one hit him in the leg, one went into the wall."
    Something does not compute here. Either she is not saying all it happened (may not remember, might be in shock, etc) or he was targeted.

Anyways, I agree 100% with all the points made above.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

He was injured, he was a NFL player which could equate to $$ and valuables around the property. Sounds like a low-risk high-reward proposition for the perps. That explains the break-in to me.

For homeowners, get an alarm, keep it on all the time. Also, get an extra keypad with siren in the main bedroom. The siren will give an alert as soon as the perimeter is breached. Also, have the alarm company program all the alarms to start immediately and not after an xx second delay. Dogs are also a great warning system. Have a handgun in an a gunvault right next to the bed. And an AR and 12 gauge with buckshot in a safe in the closet. A flashlight by the handgun. and a charged up cellphone also.

I heard on the radio today that he had a machete and went "downstairs" with it. Two shots were fired, one missed, the other hit his leg. His home was robbed a couple of weeks ago and although he was hurt he was allowed to go back to his FL home. Investigators believe that there is more to this story.. that he was targeted.
    I'm new to this but if I'm on the second floor, as they indicated, especially w/o a gun, I'm not going downstairs. Call 911, lock yourself in and try and buy some time.
    I go to bed with my cell phone (and gun) just in case my power or wires are cut.
    If you don't agree with me please let me know. I'm still learning.

I was watching ESPN about 45 minutes ago and they did a very good story about professional athletes and firearms. The primary focus of the ~10 minute piece was regarding CCW and guns in the home. It was well done and very pro-ccw. I've tried to find a print version on their website, but can't find one.

Thanks for the post, it definitely has relevance in our times. Some die so others may live. Let's not let his death be in vain. We should all be vigilant and learn from it. RM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links