We Need More Young People Like This Kid

This is a discussion on We Need More Young People Like This Kid within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/240566.html No charges filed against 15-year-old No charges have been filed against a 15-year-old boy who police say was trying to protect his mother when ...

Thread: We Need More Young People Like This Kid

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/240566.html

No charges filed against 15-year-old

No charges have been filed against a 15-year-old boy who police say was trying to protect his mother when he shot and killed his stepfather Saturday.

Deputies had been dispatched to the Fairforest Drive apartment previously for domestic-related calls, said Richland County Sheriff’s department spokesman Lt. Chris Cowan.

Roosevelt Carter, 42, of 100 Fairforest Drive, Apt. No. 7 died at 9:32 a.m. Saturday at Palmetto Health Richland. He had been shot in the upper body.

The preliminary investigation indicates a domestic disturbance occurred inside the home. The boy’s name and age have not been released because of his age.

How many previous domestic calls prior to this outcome? Sad that a 15 y/o has to resort to deadly force to protect his mother, but I am glad that it turned out okay.

VIP Member
    There just comes a time when enough is enough! Too bad mom didn't decide that before her young son was forced to!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Too bad mom didn't decide that before her young son was forced to!
    that's the crux. shame on that woman for putting a kid in that position, however much a victim she was herself.

hat's off to the kid.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

too bad it happened

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    It's sad, to me, that women get involved with the kind of "man" who will put their kids in a position to even have to do this. All because the mother chose to hitch up with some kind of psycho loser. Now the kid has to deal with having taken a life. I'm glad he did, because he perhaps saved the life of his mother, maybe himself. But he shouldn't have had to, because she should have made better choices.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/240566.html

No charges have been filed against a 15-year-old boy who police say was trying to protect his mother when he shot and killed his stepfather Saturday.

The boy’s name and age have not been released because of his age.
    Just a mild rant here...but what is wrong with this article?

No charges filed against 15-year-old...name and age not released because of his age...

A proofreader might be a thought. (Rant off.)
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

sorry it came to this but good for the son to protect his mother.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    There just comes a time when enough is enough! Too bad mom didn't decide that before her young son was forced to!
    +1 there

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Just a mild rant here...but what is wrong with this article?

No charges filed against 15-year-old...name and age not released because of his age...

A proofreader might be a thought. (Rant off.)
    Caught the same thing..

Too bad the stepdad forced the kid to proctect himself and his mother. Too bad the mother kept the dirtbag around after the previous disturbances.

Its GREAT he was able to save mom. +1
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Good shoot.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Leave it to the newpapers to put a guilty spin on the victim(s).
    +1 to that 15 year old!!
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    It's unfortunate that the young man was put in such a situation, but he did "DEAL WITH IT". Hopefully, he will have some assistance dealing with the aftermath.

Maybe mothers next choice of companion will be a better one.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

It is obvious that most responders to this did not come from an abusive family. It is never just a simple woman leave when abused. There are always complications, especially when children are involved. I lived with it for 10 years before my mother was able to get away with the family in tow. My father kept searching us out and asalting my mother, we kept running and hiding, but he would always find us. The last time I and 2 of my older brothers were able to keep him away from my mother. During this time he was in and out of the State Hospital for treatment, they just kept letting him go. After the Last time, mom and family ran again, My dad came back and burnt the house down.

When He finally died under Burnside bridge in Portland it was a relief to the whole family. By the time I was 18 I had lived in 22 different places. We ran for 8 years. The state couldn't or Wouldn't do anything, except keep putting him back in the hospital.

It is easy to say the Women should Leave after the first time but it just isn't always so easy. I now spend my time helping abused women and familys escape their abusers, as I have for the past 30 years.

Sponsored Links