"Just Shoot Me"

"Just Shoot Me"

This is a discussion on "Just Shoot Me" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/...tml?page=2&c=y Alleged burglar hammered by bar owner POSTED: 04:41 p.m. EST, Nov 28, 2007 Kevin Polen found out early today there is more than one ...

Thread: "Just Shoot Me"

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

"Just Shoot Me"

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/...tml?page=2&c=y

Alleged burglar hammered by bar owner
    POSTED: 04:41 p.m. EST, Nov 28, 2007

Kevin Polen found out early today there is more than one way to get hammered at a bar.

The 30-year-old homeless man, who Akron police allege had already burglarized the 69 Taps bar twice this month, went to the well one too many times.

When Polen broke into the popular downtown watering hole for a third time, just after 6 a.m. today, he was confronted by the bar's owners, who were able to hold him for police only after whacking him with a hammer.

''We had to hit him with a hammer once in the knee,'' said Tommy Manfreda, 27, one of the bar's owners.

But that's jumping ahead in the tale.

According to Lt. Rick Edwards , Akron police spokesman, Polen had previously burglarized the bar at 370 Paul Williams St., on Nov. 17 and again just two days later on Nov. 19.

Both times, Polen gained entrance to the bar by smashing the glass in a rear door, Edwards said.

''He got our petty cash both times. The first time about $1,200 and the second around $400,'' said Manfreda. He said the burglar headed straight to the office at the rear of the bar and rifled a locked cabinet that contained the petty cash.

''We had never been robbed before so the office door was unlocked the first time,'' said Manfreda. He said after the initial break-in, the office door was fitted with locks and slide bolts. However, the extra security proved ineffective.

''He just used a hammer the second time to smash a hole in the door just big enough for him to squeeze through,'' said Manfreda, standing next to a mangled door.

Manfreda said after being burglarized twice he was fed-up and decided he and his partner -- who he only wanted to identify as John -- had to take matters into their own hands. So they devised a plan.

''We've been camping out at the bar,'' Manfreda said.

For the last eight days, Manfreda has been sleeping in a nylon lounge chair, waiting for the burglar's return.

''I knew he would come back. After he got us for money the first two times and I knew he would try again,'' said Manfreda.

''I barely slept. Every time I heard a noise my heart would start racing,'' he said.

After several restless nights, Manfreda and his partner's patience was rewarded.

''Six-eighteen. That's when we heard the glass breaking at the rear door and John said: 'It's happening','' Manfreda said.

Manfreda said he was amazed at how swiftly Polen made it from the broken rear door to within steps of the office.

''If I had been alone, I don't know what I would have done,'' Manfreda said.

As it was his partner pulled a gun on the intruder and yelled; ''Freeze APD,'' Manfreda said.

This immediately got Polen's attention, Manfreda said. The homeless man dropped to the ground.

Manfreda said Polen had come equipped with a crowbar, a large wrench, a hammer and a razor.

Manfreda said he was surprised when Polen, with a gun pointed at him, grabbed the crowbar and got to his feet.

''I thought he was going to run, but he didn't. He just said ''shoot me'' and start coming at us. It was like he didn't care about life.

''We had to hit him with the hammer just enough to make him drop the crowbar. We could have shot him,'' he said, ''but nobody wants to kill anybody.''

A relieved Manfreda called police. Within two minutes police arrived to take Polen off their hands.

Edwards said Polen was taken to a local hospital where he was treated for minor injuries.

''At this time, Kevin Polen is charged with breaking and entering and possession of criminal tools,'' Edwards said.

Polen who was booked into the Summit County jail is scheduled for an arraignment hearing in Akron Municipal Court on Thursday at 9:00 a.m.

Today, a workman replaced the shattered glass in the rear door, the third time in a little more than a week.

As he watched, Manfreda said he was very tired.

''It was the worst sleep of my life. But it was worth it,'' Manfreda said.

''I only hope I won't have to do this again.''

After several restless nights, Manfreda and his partner's patience was rewarded.

Today, a workman replaced the shattered glass in the rear door, the third time in a little more than a week.

3 burglaries in a little over a week. Glad to hear that the bar owner was able to catch the guy in the act, and that they only used the level of force necessary to subdue the BG.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

If it was my bar he would no longer be homeless. He would have his own plot.
    There’s an old and true, military motto, “Si vis pacem, para bellum” - “If you want peace, prepare for war.”

VIP Member
    Here at wish grant central....he would have got his request filled.''I thought he was going to run, but he didn't. He just said ''shoot me'' and start coming at us. It was like he didn't care about life.

Tough call.

I'd say since it was two on one, the plan to whack him into submission worked OK.

One on one, ayyyyyyy, I'd probably vote for making his wish come true.

By whacking the guy with the hammer, they probably saved themselves a lot of legal fees. Glad the owners weren't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    As it was his partner pulled a gun on the intruder and yelled; ''Freeze APD,'' Manfreda said.
    Impersonating a police officer?

One lucky dirt bag.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Misfit View Post
    By whacking the guy with the hammer, they probably saved themselves a lot of legal fees. Glad the owners weren't hurt.
    Agreed. Quick thinking on their part.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    his partner pulled a gun on the intruder and yelled; ''Freeze APD,''
    Was his partner APD? I would think that could be bad?

I've been told to yell STOP PLEASE... Which in the heat of the moment may sound like Stop Police to the BG..

Anyway, I'm glad it worked out!
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

Quote Originally Posted by knpjdad View Post
    I've been told to yell STOP PLEASE... Which in the heat of the moment may sound like Stop Police to the BG..
    I heard "STOP! PUH-LEEZE!"
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Now the owners will have to pay the crooks medical bills. Any new lawyer wanting to build a practice would take that case and cost them a lot of money.
    Then what would be the better choice in light of the evidence?
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by abuttermilk View Post
    Now the owners will have to pay the crooks medical bills. Any new lawyer wanting to build a practice would take that case and cost them a lot of money.
    Then what would be the better choice in light of the evidence?
    i highly doubt that is going to happen.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Links