Another 'could have been prevented had she been armed' story.

This is a discussion on Another 'could have been prevented had she been armed' story. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314120,00.html Ex-Boyfriend Kills Hugging Mom, Daughter as Toddler Watches Friday, November 30, 2007 SUMMERTON, S.C. — A mother and daughter were hugging each other in ...

Thread: Another 'could have been prevented had she been armed' story.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314120,00.html

Ex-Boyfriend Kills Hugging Mom, Daughter as Toddler Watches
    Friday, November 30, 2007

SUMMERTON, S.C. — A mother and daughter were hugging each other in a child's bedroom when the daughter's ex-boyfriend shot and killed them both, authorities said.

About a half-dozen shots were fired at Teresa Lynelle Johnson, 19, and her mother Barbara Johnson, 49, after the man broke into their home early Thursday morning, Clarendon County Chief Deputy Joe Bradham said.

The women were killed in the bedroom of the daughter's 14-month-old child, who was also in the room, but was not harmed, authorities said.

The daughter's ex-boyfriend, Charles Junious, 24, was arrested less than an hour after the shooting and has been charged with two counts of murder, one count of first-degree burglary and one count of possession of a weapon during a violent crime, Bradham said. A call to the Clarendon County jail early Friday morning went unanswered.

"They broke up a couple of weeks ago," Bradham said. "She did not have a restraining order against Junious. However, we are investigating reports of problems between them after their break up."

Investigators think Junious broke into the home just after midnight Wednesday and confronted the women. The mother apparently told him to leave, while the daughter called 911 and identified Junious, Bradham said.

"When her mother got on the line, the phone went dead," Bradham said.

Teresa Johnson was shot in the back and head, while Barbara Johnson was shot in the neck and head, Coroner Hayes Samuels said.

Five to seven shots were fired and investigators haven't determine how many times each woman was hit, Bradham said.

"The daughter was hugging her mother when they were shot," Bradham said. "Some of the same bullets might have injured both parties."

Anyone still under the impression that the cops will protect you? Didn't think so.

Truely sad.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Once again proving that it only happen to other people. It'll never happen to me, because it hasen't so far.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Why is this becoming so commonplace these days that so many have such a disregard for innocent human life?
    It is because of these types of crimes that I believe and support capital punishment with the fervor that I do.
    If people have a problem with lethal injections, maybe we should begin incorporating the use of the 'guillotine'!
    Maybe this would get the attention of all of these hardened criminals.
    Just my opinion.

Last edited by P7fanatic; December 1st, 2007 at 07:13 AM.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

The problem here is not that neither woman had a firearm.
    We don't even know that they didn't have one. Their access to as much might have been severely restricted as it's unlikely a person would store their home defense pistol or longgun in the room of their infant daughter/granddaughter.
    For all we know there might have been a shotgun stored down the hall in a bedroom, which was to them in that moment inaccessible.

This is simply a tragic case of gun owner goes nuts.

I wonder if the ex-BF had any prior history of mental illness, because it takes a mentally ill person to act this way. Sane rational thinking persons don't do this and can deal with being dumped without resorting to B&E, guns, and murder.
    Even if he had no prior history of mental illness the end remains the same, it's a tragic incident that but under the narrowest of conditions might maybe have been averted. Dialing 911 and restraining orders are not one of them.
    Having the thought and guts to go hands on in hand to hand combat with this nut bag by one or better yet both women, as opposed to hugging each other, would have been their best bet.

RIP ladies. :(

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I know we shouldn't assume anything about the victims in the report, but in my house it would be faster to get to a gun than it would be to call 911. In fact, my wife and I just did a scenario in which I was able to retreive a pistol in less than half the time it took her to get to the phone (not inlcuding dialing), and the pistol wasn't on my person.

My point is if they had a firearm available, and using it was their 1st choice, it could have been prevented.

ree
    Quote Originally Posted by takurpic View Post
    "They broke up a couple of weeks ago," Bradham said. "She did not have a restraining order against Junious. However, we are investigating reports of problems between them after their break up."...
    As if a restraining order would have helped in this situation.

I agree with Janq that there is far too little info to know how to suggest things could have been played out otherwise. But it's definitely an "Another 'might have been prevented had she been armed' story."

Quote Originally Posted by takurpic View Post
    I know we shouldn't assume anything about the victims in the report, but in my house it would be faster to get to a gun than it would be to call 911. In fact, my wife and I just did a scenario in which I was able to retreive a pistol in less than half the time it took her to get to the phone (not inlcuding dialing), and the pistol wasn't on my person.
    Takur,

Did you give it a run with a person standing in your face with a pistol in hand aimed at your head, or your wifes head, he standing at the door way of the room you are in physically blocking your exit to get to the firearm(s) from the immediate room which has none?
    I'd bet your time would have been a second or 60 slower.

These womens only real option was to go hands on with the crazy man specifically at his pistol and in a literal fight for their life try the hardest either has ever done anything in life to wrest that gun from his hands to gain control of it and their next second ability to breathe.

This is pretty much as worst a case scenario as it can get toward home defense.
    Child in the rooms immediate background, gun in your face, small close quarters of the room, your own adult child standing next to you, and the face of death staring you in the eyes his breath smelling bitter.

I hope to God I never ever experience this and wished these ladies and no other people would have either.
    But under such specific and narrow conditions my first thought would not be let me go get my gun. Nor would it be to find a phone.
    My immediate most base cave man instinct would be survive by any means necessary, or die right now right here at this very spot.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Some of us who carry 24/7 unless sleeping or otherwise unable to attach a pistol to our bodies, would have likely been in better shape to contest this goblin's decision.

However, as Janq pointed out, the instinct, ideally, would have been to fight, tooth and claw, to survive. I wonder how many people today have that in them? VT and other tragedies point out how many people simply wait for the BG to come and kill them, doing nothing.

Never having been there myself, I wonder whether I would have it in me to fight to survive, NO MATTER WHAT! I hope so.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Mikl,

Myself I rarely carry when home inside my house.
    Reasons for not doing so are multiple but the largest of them being I like these ladies have small children, a daughter turning 5 next Thursday and 15 mo. old son.
    Both of them love to play. We roll around on the floor, I give horsey and piggy back rides, they stand and jump on my stomach (a great ab workout BTW), hit me with pillows, and generally act like kids who are free when at home to enjoy themselves.
    For me carrying at home even when holstered just isn't practical and it's same for alot if not most parents of same aged children that I know of right now IRL.

I do often carry a folder in my pocket at home as well as when on the street, aside from my fixed blade knives. But otherwise most often my firearms are stored under lock and key when I'm home. I've looked into it but the practically of safe and legal storage of multiple firearms around my home is very limited and also basically impractical. Others homes and lives of course may vary.

If I were in a situation like these women, my children behind me or in my arms (my 15 mo. old would be screaming & crying madly), I'd hope to have my knife on me. If not though I'd have to move like lightening and hit harder than Tyson with the strength of The Hulk and have the endurance of Superman. And that's just with one BG.
    We though do keep a sizable dog so that would be of help too. :/

A situation like these ladies saw would though be very difficult to deal with, and their situational position not uncommon.

- Janq

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Man that's just really sad to think about. Yeah it could've been prevented if they were armed but geez... Last moments before some psycho opens up on the girl and she just wants to hug her mother... I hope they fry that guy until he's extra crispy.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I think we are making a lot of assumptions here. The only things we have been told is what time it happenned and what room the executions took place in. We don't know if the ladies were awake or asleep when the break in occurred or even what rooms they were intially in. The dirt bag could have easily rounded the ladies up and taken them into the baby's room with the intent of killing all three of them.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

This appears to be a crime of passion. I doubt if the death penalty would have penetrated the thoughts of the perp. No restraining order, even if it had been issued, people out of their minds don't care.
    I believe in the death penalty, and restraining orders, but sometimes a person who is out of their mind - nothing matters.

I bought a sidearm and keep it handy just in case I find the situation invading my world...

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I wonder if the ex-BF had any prior history of mental illness, because it takes a mentally ill person to act this way. Sane rational thinking persons don't do this and can deal with being dumped without resorting to B&E, guns, and murder.

RIP ladies. :(

- Janq
    Sorry.
    In my opinion this 'mentally ill' crap is being used just way too often as a defense to excuse heinous, despicable acts of violence and hatred.
    Neither do I beleive that psychology crap that all people are in effect 'good' and that all can be rehabilitated. Oh, they just had a tough life or they were abused as a child so that is why they are the way that they are........
    Believe it or not, some people are just pure evil and have no regard for human life and care only for themself.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Get on the phone to 911 ... get shot in the head. There's a tremendously important lesson in that. Can't defend with what you don't have at hand. There aren't a lot of important details noted in this one, but if it's an invasion gone wrong, or if they'd been having severe troubles such that she'd be in fear for their lives, the lesson stands.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsored Links