Here's to being Prepared

This is a discussion on Here's to being Prepared within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=5793118 11/29/07 - KTRK/PORTER, TX) - A homeowner in Porter shot and killed a suspected burglar Thursday. And the situation became so intense that the ...

Thread: Here's to being Prepared

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Here's to being Prepared

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=5793118

11/29/07 - KTRK/PORTER, TX) - A homeowner in Porter shot and killed a suspected burglar Thursday. And the situation became so intense that the homeowner himself was taken to the hospital.

We're also learning there have been other problems with crime in the neighborhood on West Hammond near Highway 59.

Around 1:30pm, property owner Gary Southworth called 911 and said that he'd shot a man who was stealing from him and that he needed help. Paramedics rushed the suspected thief to Kingwood Hospital, but he died from his wounds.

Paramedics had to also take Southworth to the hospital after the shooting because the 60-year-old was having chest pains. Meanwhile, his wife, Alberta Southworth, says thieves had hit them several times recently.

"It's beyond awful," she said. "It's our whole life, I mean, he's been so sick and all we have left to live on is what they've stolen. We have nothing now. They took our bank account basically."

"He had reported two thefts in the past two days that had occurred in the nighttime hours," said Sgt. Bill Bucks with the Montgomery County Sheriff's Department. "It's my understanding that this is not his primary residence, but he does own the property. He came back to watch and make sure nobody stole anything from his house."

A new law that just went into effect in September allows Texans to defend themselves with deadly force in their homes, cars and work places. The Castle Doctrine removes the requirement that a person must attempt to retreat before using deadly force.

It's important to note that the deputy told us that when Southworth called 911, he was requesting help for the man he just shot.

Southworth is in stable condition.

Posted the GG's name and address.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Wow, great story. Sounds like the ol guy was rattled pretty bad. Says alot about him to be calling help for the guy he shot. I'm sure that would go a long way in court too should it come to it.

Taking ones life is not a party with poppers and champagne. It is generally felt by those that have had the unfortunate need to do so a time of reflection and remorse, regardless of justification.

I hope this old guy get's well and deals well with his feelings after this shoot.

One less thug on the street. Good shoot ol'e guy.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Another robbery gone good!!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Sure but this innocent old man and his wife will be suffering for a long time.
    A couple lives a long and quiet life and would like to be left alone, just enjoy life. Yet it is shattered by some criminal that wants something for nothing and cares for nothing but himself. I'm just sick of it.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Another one bites the dust,
    Another one bites the dust.
    And another one's gone,
    And another one's gone,
    Another one bites the dust.
    Hey Hey!!

Someday, sometime in the future, with enough people keeping firearms in their homes, these pieces of garbage that steal and hurt for a living, might just figure out that they may be next. That would be a nice thing, but will never happen. There are just too many slugs out there that are too lazy to work for a living. Until then, they just keep feeding the worms. "But Johnny was such a nice kid", his parents said. Yeah, right. Johnny got what he deserved, lead poisioning.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

The Term

The term ol' or old guy, ls a matter of perception . When you review
    your options you will find that old is not so bad . On the occasion of my 58 birthday, today 60 seems positively doable providing there is enough coffee

Remeber Inside every ol person is a young one wondering what happened
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Taking ones life is not a party with poppers and champagne. It is generally felt by those that have had the unfortunate need to do so a time of reflection and remorse, regardless of justification.

I hope this old guy get's well and deals well with his feelings after this shoot.

One less thug on the street. Good shoot ol'e guy.
    I agree, (for 'dirtbags') I'd rather blow a horn and have a beer!

This just in...

Home Owner 1

Burgular 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good shooting. Hope the homeowner is OK.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I would advocate that the trauma of having to defend oneself with leathal force should be grounds to sue for pain and suffering against the family of the deceased criminal. The very least they should be responsible for is the cost of the councelling the shooter has to get. They had to know what the POS was doing. If they can try and sue gun manufacturers for what is done with their firearms, shouldn't we be able to sue the parents of criminals for the consequences of their actions?
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

good job to the homeowner, ill pray that he will be ok
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    +1 to bigiceman. I'm tired of hearing about criminals or their families suing their victims and winning! What kind of a legal system do we have where that can take place?

Sometimes I worry about a jury of my peers....
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Good story

Links