How Different This Could Have Been...

This is a discussion on How Different This Could Have Been... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...if ANYONE had been legally armed. I'm not usually squeamish, but the images this conjures up are truly horrifying to me; the idea of being ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

...if ANYONE had been legally armed. I'm not usually squeamish, but the images this conjures up are truly horrifying to me; the idea of being so helpless. There is so much fail in this article, from the police response to the parole board it's unbelievable. This little girl should get a medal for valor. Again, "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop" rings true here.

Girl put life on line for mother
    8-year-old lunged at man who forced his way into car

December 5, 2007

BY M.L. ELRICK

As her mother lay bleeding from two gunshot wounds and a family friend frantically called police, 8-year-old Alexia Parker lunged at an ex-con who apparently planned to kill them all. On Tuesday, Alexia was recovering from multiple gunshot wounds, many to the head, in a Detroit hospital, said Aisha Ford, the friend who repeatedly called 911 in a desperate attempt to thwart 29-year-old Kelvin (Bird) Tillie. Tillie is being held without bond in the Wayne County Jail on multiple charges, including assault with intent to commit murder, after police said he shot Alexia and her mother, Selietha Parker, around midnight Sunday. Ford said Alexia lost her right eye and is awaiting an operation and lengthy therapy after the assault at an east side gas station. Parker, who was shot in the head and arm, has been released from the hospital, Ford said.

As brutal as the ordeal was, Ford said she is grateful they are all alive.

She told the Free Press on Tuesday that it all started when she went to pick up Alexia and her mom Saturday so they could spend the night at her house. The Parkers' furnace was out and they needed a warm place to stay. Ford said she saw a man coming from behind the Parkers' home after she pulled up, but figured it was a repairman. Alexia seemed happy as she stepped out of the house, asking Ford about her son. It wasn't until they were about to pull away that Ford said she realized the man was Tillie, Parker's ex-boyfriend.

"When he entered into my car he entered with the gun showing," Ford said, adding that she asked him, "Why you got that gun around that baby?"

Tillie told her not to call the cops, Ford said.

"He was like a bomb just ready to explode."

Ford said Tillie ordered her to drive them to 6 Mile. She said he didn't say where, just that she needed to drive.

"He just had so much anger, hatred," she said. "I knew I was not going to make it that night if I didn't get out of the car."

At that point, Ford was grateful she drove a gas guzzling Ford Expedition SUV. Although she had put $15 worth of gas into the car, the low fuel light flashed on. Ford said she told Tillie she needed to get some gas right away, and pulled into the Fast Stop gas station on East 7 Mile. She said Tillie gave her $10 and told her to put $5 worth of gas into the SUV.

But as Tillie went inside the station to pay, she used her cell phone to call 911 for help. A police report describes a tense situation inside and outside the SUV. After calling for help, Ford tried to stretch out the amount of time it takes to pump less than two gallons of gas.

"Hoping the police would arrive" Ford "kept slowly cutting the pump off, trying to stall," the report said.

Meanwhile, it said Tillie was losing his cool. "She's taking too long. She better hurry up before I start shooting," the report quoted Tillie as saying while Parker begged him to calm him down and "to not do this with her daughter ... in the car."

Playing for more time, Ford took another $5 into the gas station and told the attendant, "I don't need the gas, I'm waiting for the police."

The report says the attendant "dialed 911 three times before connecting with a 911 operator."

It said he heard Ford "yell into the phone 'Why hadn't you come? He's gonna shoot us!' " moments before Tillie began firing.

After watching her mother get shot, Alexia "jumped into the front seat, trying to protect her mom and stop" Tillie, the police report said.

The report added that Tillie "without hesitation, immediately fired six shots into" Alexia who "collapsed, critically injured."

The report says Parker escaped from the car and ran toward the store screaming, "He shot my baby!"

Police showed up just after the shooting stopped and arrested Tillie. They found Alexia "huddled on the floorboard beneath the steering wheel."

Alexia was rushed to a hospital in critical condition. But Ford said Tuesday that she was doing well.

Tillie, who was arraigned Monday, faces life in prison if convicted of the charges. He has previous convictions for assault with intent to rob while armed, home invasion and resisting arrest. He has been on parole since April.

Source: http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...WS01/712050392

VIP Member
    TERRIBLE.......and shows we live among animals
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    who repeatedly called 911 in a desperate attempt to thwart 29-year-old Kelvin (Bird) Tillie
    How does dialing a phone "thwart" anything? Stories like this should be stapled to the forehead of all the antis out there who think that a cell phone can prevent a violent assault.

Deepest sympathies and best wishes for that little girl...mine is 7, and if someone shot her in the head, well...I can see myself on trial long before the shooter would be.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

wow thats terrible

"dialed 911 three times before connecting with a 911 operator."
    thankfully i dont need to pull the trigger 3 times before a bullet comes out

It said he heard Ford "yell into the phone 'Why hadn't you come? He's gonna shoot us!' " moments before Tillie began firing.
    The lightbulb of reality sure is bright. If only she can learn from this. A firearm is about the only thing that's going to stop a firearm-wielding criminal, until such time as the cavalry can be called to assist. In the meantime, are you going to survive the delay? The chances aren't good while holding only a telephone in your hands.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    Horrific - totally.

Proof again if any were needed (well not to us here anyways) that being armed is essential as a way to stand a chance against evil.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The #1 reason to carry .

"Police showed up just after the shooting stopped and arrested Tillie. "
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

But as Tillie went inside the station to pay, she used her cell phone to call 911 for help. A police report describes a tense situation inside and outside the SUV. After calling for help, Ford tried to stretch out the amount of time it takes to pump less than two gallons of gas.

Am I reading this right? The BG went inside to pay for gas and they didn't drive away, while calling the police? Yes it would have been great if they would have had a gun, but if this is the way it played out, they could all be safe and secure down the road away from this guy. Even if they only had enough gas to get a mile or two down the road, that is what they should have done.

Sad, Sad situation. Hope Tillie never sees the outside of a prison cell ever, and I hope that they all recover to lead a somewhat normal life.

Edit:
    After further consideration, maybe Tillie took the keys to the van when he went in to pay and they couldn't drive away. I hope that was the reason they didn't.
    Last edited by farronwolf; December 5th, 2007 at 01:14 PM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

That little girl........only 8yo......jumped in to protect her momma.

She is a sheepdog, a puppy perhaps, but a predator hunter nontheless.

That SOB should never see the light of day as a free man EVER.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Dear Jesus. :(

"The first operator clicked off and I dialed again and told that operator a guy with a gun was holding me hostage with a mother and baby and threatening to kill us. I told her the name of the gas station and then she said they didn't have a unit to send. Ford said she paid for $5 of gas and slowly returned to the vehicle, stalling for time as she handed Tillie the change. She said she kept stopping and starting the pump, hoping the police would show up." - Victim and witness Ford who was also kidnapped and driving the vehicle

People, even smart/bright/sane and otherwise reasonable people, seem to sincerely believe that dialing 911 will result in instantaneous results and reaction time, in the nick of time before the hyena bites. Just like Superman.

Fairy tales and best case scenario beliefs under the best of circumstance. :(

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

Am I reading this right? The BG went inside to pay for gas and they didn't drive away, while calling the police? Yes it would have been great if they would have had a gun, but if this is the way it played out, they could all be safe and secure down the road away from this guy. Even if they only had enough gas to get a mile or two down the road, that is what they should have done.

Sad, Sad situation. Hope Tillie never sees the outside of a prison cell ever, and I hope that they all recover to lead a somewhat normal life.

Edit:
    After further consideration, maybe Tillie took the keys to the van when he went in to pay and they couldn't drive away. I hope that was the reason they didn't.
    Tillie, the shooter, gave Ford, the driver, $10 to pay for gas and said to pump in just $5.
    Ford did the pumping and paying....and subsequently tried to dial 911 twice and was put off. The gas station operator dialed 911 a third time and got through.

Tillie did not exit the truck, a Ford Explorer.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq,

I read that part, but the following paragraph is what was confusing.

To me that reads that he left the vehicle and went inside himself. Maybe it was a badly written piece.

Edited:
    Here is a link to another article that indicates that Tillie did not get out of the vehicle as you stated.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5352346.html
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

That likely was a typo.

Admittedly though the Detroit Press story was poorly written in so far as grammar usage.
    I had to read it three times over to figure out who was whom and was asking who to stay the night out of the cold and what person was the one standing on whos porch.

What I want to know is why would anyone muchless the mother of a child 'date' any person who is a convicted felon not once, not twice, or even three times over but is a FOUR time felon!?!
    I'm sorry but nobody is so nice, handsome, charming, or good at what they do behind closed doors that the reward is worth as much risk toward their child nevermind ones self being shot in the side of the head.

No single mother/parent should be so hard pressed for companionship to the point of hooking in with a 4 time felon.

- Janq

VIP Member
    "Should" and "do" are a long, long way apart Janq, unfortnately. Did you read that piece that was posted here not long ago, written by the ER doc in the UK who had the same single women with 5 kids from 5 dads come in time after time, beaten up by the latest boyfriend (and, often as not, felon many times over) that happened to be living in their house that day? Sad, sad story, replayed here with terrible consequences.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

No I missed that OPFOR but just as well.
    I hate seeing stories about children being in jeopardy more than anything.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links