Omaha Mall Shooting: MERGED X4

This is a discussion on Omaha Mall Shooting: MERGED X4 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; what are the laws regarding this in nebraska and Omaha?...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Omaha Mall Shooting: MERGED X4

what are the laws regarding this in nebraska and Omaha?

2. Remove Ads

that self inflicted gun shot was about 40 rounds too late
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    What a tragedy. Hopefully those that were injured and are still alive will pull through. What drives a person do do something like this?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I bet the mall had a "no firearms" policy but I don't know that for a fact. If they did, most if not all of the CCW firearms were in the customers' cars. I wonder how long it took for the police to show up - too long for 8 or 9 of 'em.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Yeah but that would mean they would have to do it some place it was legal for us to carry. Why should they take the chance when they can find plenty of gun free zones to hunt in? They may be sick twisted evil pieces of but that doesn't mean they are stupid!
    What part of Texas are you at?
    Are the malls there Gun free Zones?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

This is kind of spookey:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=36408

I'm glad to hear the author lives in Texas rather than Nebraska.

According to this, Omaha is safe from guns...

http://www.gunguys.com/?p=929

Unlike the rest of the state he says...

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    I bet the mall had a "no firearms" policy but I don't know that for a fact. If they did, most if not all of the CCW firearms were in the customers' cars. I wonder how long it took for the police to show up - too long for 8 or 9 of 'em.
    If in fact the mall was a gun free zone, and a CCW holder shot the suspect what could happen to the CCW holder. I am not sure about the severity of the charge but I would rather take the charge then a casket.

Cool

Oh great. It is now being reported that the gunman had a rifle.
    If true, and he fired 30-40 shots, it might have been an AK, SKS or an AR type weapon.
    We all know that this can be done with a small pistol and multiple magazines but the antis and the media will be playing it up.

See below

Administrator
    My Mom and sister shop there, my sister lives nearby. Omaha is non ccw, and the mall is gun free.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Another Mall shooting in Nebraska...

My wife just asked me to go to the Mall with her. I went upstairs, strapped on my 45cal, decided to get on the internet real quick before heading out. I take a look at the Yahoo headline just posted a few minutes ago. Another tragedy...

Man opens fire at Omaha mall, killing 8 By OSKAR GARCIA, Associated Press Writer

OMAHA, Neb. - A man opened fire with a rifle at a busy department store Wednesday, killing eight people before taking his own life, in an attack that made holiday shoppers run screaming through a mall and barricade themselves in dressing rooms. Five more people were wounded, two critically.

ADVERTISEMENT

The gunman left a suicide note that was found at his home by relatives, said a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the shooting. Omaha television station KETV reported that the note said he wanted to "go out in style."

Witnesses said the gunman fired down on shoppers from a third-floor balcony of the Von Maur store.

The gunman was found dead on the third floor with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, and his victims were discovered on the second and third floors, police said.

"My knees rocked. I didn't know what to do, so I just ran with everybody else," said Kevin Kleine, 29, who was shopping with her 4-year-old daughter at the Westroads Mall, in a prosperous neighborhood on the city's west side. She said she hid in a dressing room with four other shoppers and an employee.

"Everybody was scared, and we didn't know what was going on," said Belene Esaw-Kagbara, 31, a Von Maur employee. "We didn't know what to do. I was praying that God protect us."

Mickey Vickory, who worked at Von Maur's third-floor service department, said she heard shots at about 1:50 p.m.

She and her co-workers and customers went into a back closet behind the wrapping room to hide, then emerged about a half-hour later when police shouted to come out with their hands up. As police took them to another part of the mall for safety, they saw the victims.

"We saw the bodies and we saw the blood," she said.

Sgt. Teresa Negron said the gunman killed eight people, then apparently killed himself. His name was not immediately released, and authorities gave no motive for the attack and did not know whether he said anything during the rampage.

Police received a 911 call from someone inside the mall, and shots could be heard in the background, Negron said. By the time officers arrived six minutes later, the shooting was over, she said.

Keith Fidler, another Von Maur employee, said he heard a burst of five to six shots followed by 15 to 20 more rounds. Fidler said he huddled in the corner of the men's clothing department with about a dozen other employees until police yelled to get out of the store.

A witness, Shawn Vidlak, said the shots sounded like a nail gun. At first he thought it was noise from construction work at the mall.

"People started screaming about gunshots," Vidlak said. "I grabbed my wife and kids we got out of there as fast as we could."

Shortly after the shooting, which came three weeks before Christmas, a group of shoppers came out of the building with their hands raised. Some were still holding shopping bags.

Police told people to park their cars at businesses across from the mall and to wait for their loved ones, then directed them to an Omaha hotel to await information.

President Bush was in Omaha on Wednesday for a fundraiser, but left about an hour before the shooting.

The sprawling, three-level mall has more than 135 stores and restaurants. It gets 14.5 million visitors every year, according to its Web site.

It was the second mass shooting at a mall this year. In February, nine people were shot, five of them fatally, at Trolley Square mall in Salt Lake City. The gunman, 18-year-old Sulejman Talovic, was shot and killed by police.

___

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My Mom and sister shop there, my sister lives nearby. Omaha is non ccw, and the mall is gun free.
    WELL I GUESS IT'S TIME TO MOVE OUT OF OMAHA!!!

Gun free= freedom free.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    One of these days in a city that preempts state CCW laws and GFZones the malls, there is going to be a CCW holder that had to leave his weapon in the car, that walks into the middle of one of these shootings unarmed.

Dated April 7, 2006 and speaking on Nebraska's CC Law, the Beatrice Daily Sun said in referring to Omaha, Kearney and a few other cities that are preempting the CCW Law the following:
    "So at the very least, a full one-fourth of Nebraskans are still kept safe from the dangers of having weapons all over their streets."

The families of those 8 dead probably wouldn't agree.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I was just reading this myself, what a sad story. I called the wife in, and showed her the story, using it as another reason why she needs her permit and needs to carry all the time.

We are just waiting for the state to finish the background checks for her. It has been 3 weeks so far, mine took 2.5. But then again Thanksgiving was included in her wait so far.

Think about the far-reaching effects this has:

- Families of the dead and wounded
    - People at the mall who witnessed this
    - Effects on society as a whole
    - Effects on the shooters family
    - New anti-gun laws possibly enacted
    - Possible relaxation of gun laws so that people can protect themselves (not too likely)

I imagine there are quite a few others I haven't thought of.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links