Omaha Mall Shooting: MERGED X4

This is a discussion on Omaha Mall Shooting: MERGED X4 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by slimjim Man opens fire at Omaha mall, killing 8 By OSKAR GARCIA, Associated Press Writer "I was praying that God protect us." ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Omaha Mall Shooting: MERGED X4

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post

Man opens fire at Omaha mall, killing 8 By OSKAR GARCIA, Associated Press Writer

"I was praying that God protect us."
    Not to worry. I'm sure the sheep have put up more signs so it's probably safe now.

Pray that God protect them? God helps them that helps themselves. She should have been trained and packing! God didn't much help the 8 dead.

2. Remove Ads

And to think, my Kansas CCL is not valid in Nebraska.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

I am being told that the City Council had then reversed the City no carry law. Anyone got a confirmation on that? I can't seem to find anything but the no carry references.

Added on edit: It appears that is the case. Says that Omaha City council repealed by 5-2 vote the carry ban in July last year over the Mayors objections. No knowledge of the Malls policy though.

ABC News referred to it as another case of "gun violence" like the gun jumped up and did it on its own. If he had used a bomb would it have been "bomb violence?"
    If he had crashed a car into the mall and mowed down people would it have been another case of "car violence?"

I'm surprised that there wasn't a CCer who could get in close enough to take a shot while everyone was waiting for the LEOs.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Think about the far-reaching effects this has:

- Families of the dead and wounded
    - People at the mall who witnessed this
    - Effects on society as a whole
    - Effects on the shooters family
    - New anti-gun laws possibly enacted
    - Possible relaxation of gun laws so that people can protect themselves (not too likely)
    Called my wife in too and she commented how these bizarre mass killings are so frequently in the news. Its not a question of 'if' it will happen in our area... its 'when'..
    The far-reaching effects struck me as well - families and individuals - ongoing pain and sadness (esp. during Christmas) for the rest of their lives.

I have heard there is training available for citizens for how to respond to an active shooter situation before LEO's get on the scene. I am fairly new to ccw, and do not yet know whether I'd bail out and take care of my own or take the shot if I had it. I am no Jack Bauer and man - it would have to be a really clear-cut deal...
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

So in a case like this...anyone who has a ccw can shoot the guy to prevent further massacre? It seems to me that nowadays cops couldn't help the ones that was killed. The thing only lasted 6 minutes. Is this a trend now? sad...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uspc4 View Post
    So in a case like this...anyone who has a ccw can shoot the guy to prevent further massacre? It seems to me that nowadays cops couldn't help the ones that was killed. The thing only lasted 6 minutes. Is this a trend now? sad...
    In CT at least, the statute states:

"Sec. 53a-19. Use of physical force in defense of person. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) of this section, a person is justified in using reasonable physical force upon another person to defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of physical force, and he may use such degree of force which he reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose; except that deadly physical force may not be used unless the actor reasonably believes that such other person is (1) using or about to use deadly physical force, or (2) inflicting or about to inflict great bodily harm."

I would imagine other states have a similar statute. So if a similar shooting were to occur in CT, and the BG has already started popping off rounds, then deadly force is clearly authorized in defense of self or a third party (shoppers at the Mall).
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

The one thing that sticks out from the reporting is that "the cops arrived in 6 minutes and the shooting was over." Now a six minute response time seems very good to me, but it was still too late. Prime point of argument for people who think cops can protect them.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The malls were said to be one of the top terrorist threats this fall... never know at the time how many others are involved - what their intentions are (suicidal nutjob or a planned terrorist strike). The police obviously evacuated everyone very carefully and methodically it sounds like to try weed out other BG's..
    This is really unbelievable.
    I wonder how many people he passed on the way in as he was carrying his rifle who just looked at him in disbelief or ignored him completely

http://www.homelandsecurityus.com/2007mallwarning
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

the issue

Incidents like this are definitely a tragedy, I would guess the mall possibly had a weapons free policy and that their security guards were unarmed or well you cant arm someone and pay them min wage,.....its really a catch 22..... Since im curious here are the facts...so far

http://joemerchant24.blogspot.com/20...-shooting.html Its reported the mall was "gun free" this guy at the link above is going to **confirm** the policy tomm according to his blog

The security firm that protects the mall, Valor has a bad track record in CA, Google “janitors beaten and pepper sprayed”....

Tonight on the news they interviewed a rep from the property company, there was mention about a hand grenade found days earlier at the mall and scrutiny over their security and how they didn’t take additional steps for that issue..... (im not after this point)

Well lets look at the common knowledge rule that law enforcement's duty is not to protect individuals but to respond to incidents..
    SOOOO...

Why enter a gun free zone, where the security guards are stripped of weapons and law enforcement officers are not allowed unless there called in advance... I mean there will NEVER be a solution to this.....im not going to a mall where im searched....NEVER, The courthouse is bad enough....but I respect their security....Criminals and psychos will NEVER obey the law, if someone’s going to commit suicide there not going to care about spending all their money on a gun off the streets if there already disqualified to buy firearms or the later…or if guns are banned and more to the tune of GB or Australia..

I cant think of another reason to give our support to gun friendly malls, and push pro gun litigation. And I dont wanna sound like a grand stander, my prayers and thoughts go out to the families..
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

This is very frustrating...but it strengths reasons why I hate malls, and it has begun to get my wife's attention...she is beginning to CCW a lot more now...things can and will continue to happen...anywhere!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Latest--

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315342,00.html

"WOWT-TV reported that the killer was a 19-year-old man who left a suicide note stating, "I'm going out in style." The man's vehicle was reportedly found in the parking lot.

An official identified the gunman as Robert A. Hawkins, age 19 or 20. Hawkins mother brought the note to the local sheriff's office.

Sgt. Teresa Negron said the gunman killed eight people, then apparently killed himself. His name was not immediately released, and authorities gave no motive for the attack and did not know whether he said anything during the rampage."
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by uspc4 View Post
    So in a case like this...anyone who has a ccw can shoot the guy to prevent further massacre?
    I think any of us who would have been in a position to nutralize the threat would have said a small prayer as we lined up the sites -
    "Lord let my shot be straight and true"...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    I think any of us who would have been in a position to nutralize the threat would have said a small prayer as we lined up the sites -
    "Lord let my shot be straight and true"...
    If my loved ones were out of harms way, and I had a clear shot with little risk to myself, I would definitely try and end the massacre, after saying a prayer similar to the above, of course.

I know that if I had the chance to stop something like this and did nothing, I would have a hard time facing myself in the mirror every morning for the rest of my life.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I am glad that some one all ready pointed out the 6 min. responce time. The other thing that the talking heads said on the national news (NBC ) talking about what kind of twisted person would do a thing like this, "At one point he even shot a Teddy Bear." with the most discusted of an anguished look.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links