Omaha Mall Shooting: MERGED X4 - Page 5

Omaha Mall Shooting: MERGED X4

This is a discussion on Omaha Mall Shooting: MERGED X4 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are murderers in our midst. It's only a matter of time 'til another one cracks. Seemingly, one of these folks blows a gasket ever ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Omaha Mall Shooting: MERGED X4

There are murderers in our midst. It's only a matter of time 'til another one cracks. Seemingly, one of these folks blows a gasket ever other week or so. I suppose it's a silver lining to know this one won't be able to do further damage, though that isn't much consolation.

Keep your eyes and ears open, out there. Go armed ... always.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    So far what I read from the wen news pages: 20 year old from a disfunctional family, suicidal, taking antidepresants with a stolen SKS-type who was recently fired from his job at McDonalds.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I live in the Omaha metro. I noticed another Nebraska resident posted, but I thought I'd add to that and address specific questions.

1. I'm a CHP holder. You can carry in Omaha. There was an old law, but as someone pointed out it was overturned by the city council. Right now, the state law allows for a city to ban the carry of firearms, but I'm pretty sure Kearney (small college town...go figure) is the only one that doesn't allow it. The only pain in the butt for carrying in Omaha, is that whatever firearm you are carrying has to be registered. There is a bill that'll hopefully be passed soon that will remove any city's ability to ban Concealed Weapons. Hopefully that passes. The bottom line, however, is that self defense trumps everything as far as the state is concerned. So even if you carried in Kearney (again I'm pretty sure it's only city that doesn't allow CCW) and shot someone in self defense, you're in the clear. You're biggest concern is getting stopped for a traffic violation in Kearney, presenting your permit, and getting in trouble for it.

2. Westroads Mall is in a really nice part of town and Von Maur is a really nice store. There are a couple of other malls where crimes are the norm. No one seems to know why the shooter choose that place. It's odd, because he lived in my town and went to the same high school that I graduated from. There are several other malls that are a lot closer to us than Westroads. It'll be interesting to see if they know why he went there.

3. Westroads Mall DOES NOT allow concealed weapons on their property. There are signs at the entrance to the parking lot and on the front door. Obviously, I'll be ignoring those from now on...I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but God knows how many people could have been saved had there been an armed citizen in the store.

4. As stated previously, the shooter was a 19/20 year old suburban white kid who was living with a friend's family. It appears that he had a crappy home life, but who knows how much of that is true. The picture they keep showing of him makes him look very disturbed and sad. That image really speaks volumes, IMO. We all know that we're responsible for our own actions, but as a parent it really saddens me to think that there are any children out there who feel so unloved and desperate for attention that they'll go to these kind of lengths to get it. Don't get me wrong, he's responsible for his actions and had I been there and could have stopped this by shooting him I would have. However, it did make me immediately want to hold my 6 month old son and whisper "I love you" into his ear. His note basically said that he was going to go out in style and be famous. He was fired from his job at McDonalds yesterday or today and his friends said he was REALLY pissed off about it. It appears that maybe this was the last straw for him? Who knows.

5. They just announced on the news that it was an SKS that he used and they were playing HARD on the whole "Assault Rifle" thing. Let's all pray that they don't successfully use this to tighten laws. I'm extremely concerned that the city and the state will have a knee jerk reaction.

6. This was a huge wake up call for me. It's easy to say "Things like that don't happen here"....until they do. Again, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but stay armed. You just never know.

Uggg. Was just informed that one of the guys who was shot in the arm is a buddy's brother. He's okay. Seems he used his neck tie as a tourniquet and hid until the cops got there.

So sad. Like all mass shootings, people had no other option than to run and hide and hope this guy didn't find them. Has there been a more frustrating and rediculous law than Gun Free Zones?

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_ocks View Post
    Uggg. Has there been a more frustrating and rediculous law than Gun Free Zones?
    Law or lack of law. I'd say no term limits in Washington D.C.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    How many more people must die from psychos with a death wish, until people get their heads out of their rear ends, and see that GFZs do NOT work? I am getting sick and tired of hearing about mass shootings, and you can bet there will be copy cat shootings in the future. I feel really bad for the families of the victims, especially since the holiday season is upon us. Malls and schools seem to be the two most favored targets for psychopaths.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    Another thing to ponder - how about a complete media blackout on the names of these murderers? We don't show the streakers at the ball game on TV, why would we show these worthless scumbags over and over and over again.

In fact, just put "Worthless Scumbag" everywhere in the news that you might otherwise use the name of the shooter. If all the future Mr. and Mrs. Scumbags out there knew that they would not, in fact, "be famous," perhaps they'd reconsider their actions. I know it will never happen (the blackout, that is), but this constant media glamorization certainly can't be helping...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Opfor,

It wouldn't be America if we didn't plaster all the bad stuff on the news every night. I think it is part of our culture or something. I guess it is kinda like the Jerry Springer shows or the Reality Tv that so many people can't seem to turn off. We (not me cause I watch history and discovery etc.) drive the networks and they apparently are giving us what we want.

Wonder how lond a news cast of just good news would last on the air. Might be a good test market.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Dang. Where's Gecko45 when you need him?
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

VIP Member
    Funny, Kevan. Dark, but funny.

And I know our culture/country is wrapped up in this stuff...that's a big reason why I don't only avoid silly shows, but that I don't have TV at all... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
    Dang. Where's Gecko45 when you need him?
    I think he might have been busy at the mall.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    This loser wanted to be famous.

And the media are tripping over themselves in a frenzy to complete his "mission" for him.

And someplace, some other disaffected loser in mommy's basement is thinking "I could be famous too".

Take the VT shootings for example. Probably not one person in one hundred can name a victim of those shootings, but 99 can name Cho as the shooter.

The media need to focus on the victims, and ignore the shooters. Just once, I'd like to hear the talking head on the news say "The killer wanted to be famous, and we are not going to indulge his wish. We are not going to mention this pathetic loser's name, nor show you his nerdy yearbook picture. We're not going to interview his family, friends or pets. Instead, we'd like to talk about the victims."

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Funny, Kevan. Dark, but funny.

And I know our culture/country is wrapped up in this stuff...that's a big reason why I don't only avoid silly shows, but that I don't have TV at all... :)
    Awesome, I'm not the only one then. I've found that life is a little bit better when you don't have the TV around to constantly peddle fear to you. Besides, the Internet more than makes up for it.

If the media wasn't so wrapped up in giving these jerks what they wanted and actually caring about the victims, I might not completely detest them, but it is what it is.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

He's a cowardly murderer who believed killing innocents would be a ticket to ride. What do we have for the infamous, Bob? A trip to Hades, yes!! An all-expense paid trip to the land down under, with a fireside view of the lake. May 72 Virginians turn their scrutiny on him, when they're done with their current drubbing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think he might have been busy at the mall.
    Obviously not at the correct mall, though... You know, a few more of these events (God forbid), and there may be room for a REAL mall ninja or two out there...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links