New Pasadena, Tx shooting Info. - Page 7

New Pasadena, Tx shooting Info.

This is a discussion on New Pasadena, Tx shooting Info. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The recidivism rate for convicted felons is about 50% nation wide. The reason for that can be debated all day long. The USA has the ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: New Pasadena, Tx shooting Info.

VIP Member
    The recidivism rate for convicted felons is about 50% nation wide. The reason for that can be debated all day long. The USA has the highest encarceration rate of any industrial country in the world. Why, don't ask me.
    The recidivism rate in Texas was at one time less than 10%, but then a FEDERAL judge got involved and said,"you can't make them work, in the fields to grow their own food, make their own clothes, etc..." Now they get to sit around all day and watch TV.
    Before the FEDS got involved in Texas prisons, they produced almost all of their own food, clothing, and even other items that were sold to the cities and counties. The prison system was completly self-supporting. If the inmate wanted to eat, he had to work. There was almost no prison violence or gangs, because when you work 12-16 hours a day, you don't have the energy for much else. The Feds changed that for us.

Was Mr. Horn right? I don't know. But If a criminal gets shot for burgularizing a home, in Texas, that's his problem. Jang's examples of people who turned their lives around, doesn't change my opinion one bit. As I said, yes we put a higher value on property than life. Don't believe me, check out those standard bail amounts I mentioned earlier.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

"These two guys for all he knew could have been relatives of his neighbor!"

Not hardly, the neighbors are a Vietnamese couple. They asked him to watch their home.

Jang has put forth some very good arguments for folks who turned their lives around. The term "rehabilitation" is still bantered around a lot by prison reformists. Worked in a prison for a little while and i can tell you that no one can "rehabilitate" a criminal. The felon must be willing to rehabilitate himself. Have no problem with assisting sincere inmates who want to "rehabilite" themselves. There is only one type of sane criminal who cannot rehabilitate himself: A child dedicated molester.

We should not be wasting money on the "rehabilitation" of career criminals.

VIP Member

Don't agree

Quote Originally Posted by OldTXCop View Post
    The recidivism rate in Texas was at one time less than 10%, but then a FEDERAL judge got involved and said,"you can't make them work, in the fields to grow their own food, make their own clothes, etc..." Now they get to sit around all day and watch TV.
    Before the FEDS got involved in Texas prisons, they produced almost all of their own food, clothing, and even other items that were sold to the cities and counties. .
    Sorry to have to disagree with you. I did some work at one of the prisons near Palestine,TX. I assure you, the cons weren't sitting around, but were indeed working unbelievably hard in absolutely awful conditions. The only reason conditions were tolerable to me, was I knew I was going to leave in a few hours. I can't imagine being in the situation the prisoners I saw were in, day in and day out, perhaps for the rest of your natural life. And these guys I was told were the good ones that could be trusted slightly.

The hair on the back of my head was standing up the whole time.

VIP Member
    Not hardly, the neighbors are a Vietnamese couple. They asked him to watch their home.
    There is absolutely no evidence to support this statement. In fact, Horn himself says that he doesn't know these neighbors, and there is no mention, anywhere, ever, that Horn was asked by the neighbors to watch the property. I don't know where you're getting this info, but I'd be very interested to see the source...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I don't know about them asking him to watch the home but the Chronicle did report in the first couple of days after the shooting that the victims of the burglary had a Vietnamese surname and had not returned their calls.
    As far as how well he knew them, when the dispatcher asked Horn said " Nah, I really don't really know these neighbors. I know the neighbors on the other side really well. I can assure you if had been their house I would've already done something."
    To me that is kind of open to interpretation. I know its a fine point here, but " I really don't really know these neighbors" to me is different from " I really don't know these neighbors".
    I know all my neighbors here in Texas. But, I really know my old neighbors in Maryland.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    I wasn't disputing the Vietnamese part, I was disputing the "asked to watch their house" bit. From Horn's inflection (not a perfect indicator, I know), I don't think he knows them well at all. They'd only been in the neighborhood for a relatively short while. The certainly had NOT asked Horn to watch their home, at least based on the 911 tapes...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    It will be interesting to see the out come of the case. Horn based upon his verbal statements took matters into his own hand to expand the range of his "castle". How a grand jury and possibly a trial jury will interprit that as well as the range of an individuals "castle" will define the legislation. Shooting the suspect in the back, will have little effect IF they rule that he was within his "castle" area as defined by the new law.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links