Omaha Mall ( Westwoods) Removes no guns signage . and an eyewitness account

This is a discussion on Omaha Mall ( Westwoods) Removes no guns signage . and an eyewitness account within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wish i could attribute this to someone coming to their senses however i suspect its more likely an attempt to duck a lawsuit . ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omaha Mall ( Westwoods) Removes no guns signage . and an eyewitness account

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

I wish i could attribute this to someone coming to their senses however i suspect its more likely an attempt to duck a lawsuit . Anyway it seems that they have taken down the criminal empowerment signs very quietly . Info at http://joemerchant24.blogspot.com/20...westroads.html

The shooting incident as told by someone who was in Von Maur at the time of the shooting .

http://joemerchant24.blogspot.com/20...-shooting.html
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Interesting....
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes. Very. I'd need to have more conformation that this is true. And I'd need to know if they didn't take them down in order to put up new, even more restrictive, to lawful people, signs.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Yes Interesting

I'm thinking that some where along the line a business that has posted for "no guns allowed" is going to be found responsible for the injuries to others in a situation like this. Seems to me if you take away a personís legal right to protect themselves then you assume the duty to protect them instead. The result being many establishments rethinking their gun ban policies and signs disappearing over night. Well maybe not. I may be just too much of an optimist to think that the sheep will ever learn.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

As stated my personal suspicion is that the signage was removed to prevent an attny's investigator from taking pics of them in preparation for a lawsuit . You can talk in court all day long and not have the emotional impact to a jury of a evidentairy picture .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

not sure about the signs- hmm
    i found this quote from the guys account of what happened intresting
    "I do not have a Concealed Handgun Permit. I have completed the training class, but I keep putting off applying for the permit because I think it is useless. In the places I would need a gun most, I am not allowed to have it."

i found this quote from the guys account of what happened intresting
    "I do not have a Concealed Handgun Permit. I have completed the training class, but I keep putting off applying for the permit because I think it is useless. In the places I would need a gun most, I am not allowed to have it."
    In states where violating a no guns sign has criminal implications ( such as NE ) i somewhat understand where he is coming from . I dont agree with him, but understand his frustration and thought process.

Maybe they took them down because they were improperly posted? Maybe their concern is to repost them at the proper location and remove all evidence that they were improperly posted? Would have to know the postage requirements of that state to know if this has any merit. Would not surprise me though to find they have an ulterior motive beyond what we might hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Seems to me if you take away a personís legal right to protect themselves then you assume the duty to protect them instead.
    In a perfect world you would get my vote...

Even the police are not required to protect you though they will enforce gun control laws.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Yes. Very. I'd need to have more conformation that this is true. And I'd need to know if they didn't take them down in order to put up new, even more restrictive, to lawful people, signs.
    This was my first thought upon reading the blog as well.

It's entirely possible that someone unaffiliated with the mall was appalled enough to remove the signs on general principles. Who's to say?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's entirely possible that someone unaffiliated with the mall was appalled enough to remove the signs on general principles. Who's to say?
    Doubt it. If that was the case, it would have been an unauthorized removal...and probably would have to have been done surreptitiously. With the amount of attention this place has right now, anything done on the sly is highly unlikely. To remove the signs without the proper tools, some kind of damage to the wall would be likely as well. There is little to no damage visible in the photos.

Those signs were removed deliberately and on purpose. My feeling is that photos of these signs would be damning if used in a civil lawsuit, many of which are sure to be coming.

I talked to a friend of mine that lives close to the mall. His understanding was that the signs were removed to allow armed private security guards. I have no idea if this is correct.

Michael

I am a private individual and my own personal security guard. Am I still allowed?

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Maybe they took them down because they were improperly posted? Maybe their concern is to repost them at the proper location and remove all evidence that they were improperly posted? Would have to know the postage requirements of that state to know if this has any merit. Would not surprise me though to find they have an ulterior motive beyond what we might hope.
    This would lead to an obstruction of justice charge which would probably increase liability in front of a jury. Its illegal, a criminal offense, and possibly a felony.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links