Denver Church Shooting, merged and re-named - Page 5

Denver Church Shooting, merged and re-named

This is a discussion on Denver Church Shooting, merged and re-named within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There is another lesson to be learned here......Just having a firearm for defense is NOT enough....you also have to be willing! Near an entryway in ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Denver Church Shooting, merged and re-named

VIP Member
    There is another lesson to be learned here......Just having a firearm for defense is NOT enough....you also have to be willing!

Near an entryway in the church, Bourbonnais came upon the gunman and an armed male church security guard who was there with his gun drawn but not firing, he said.

Bourbonnais said he pleaded with the armed guard to give him his weapon.

"Give me your handgun. I've been in combat, and I'm going to take this guy out," Bourbonnais recalled telling the guard. "He kept yelling, 'Get behind me! Get behind me!' He wouldn't hand me his weapon, but he wouldn't do anything."

There was an additional armed security guard there, another man, who also didn't fire, Bourbonnais said.

Bourbonnais yelled at the gunman to draw his attention, he said.

"First, I called him 'Coward' then I called him 'S---head' " Bourbonnais said. "I probably shouldn't have been saying that in church."

That's when the shooter pointed one of his guns at Bourbonnais and fired, he said.

Bourbonnais ducked behind a hollow, decorative pillar and was hit in the arm by a bullet and fragments of the pillar.

At about that moment, Assam, 42, turned a corner with a drawn handgun, walked toward the gunman and yelled "Surrender!" Bourbonnais said.

The gunman pointed a handgun at Assam and fired three shots, Bourbonnais said. She returned fire and just kept walking toward the gunman pressing off round after round....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Lets all hammer our local papers with letters about how this civilian saved countless lives, and did not make the situation worse, as all the LEO administrators said about allowing students to arm themselves after the VT incident.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

His story differs somewhat from her story. And she claims to have seen the entire thing even as he entered the church. She does not mention others between her and the shooter... and they could have even been behind her and knew she was in the better but temporarily hidden position. They may simply have been backing her up. The gentleman may have happened along and perhaps came close to making it worse. And no... if you come in and I have drawn my gun I am not going give it to you as a self proclaimed "Combat veteran". I have no way to confirm this and I am too busy. And in that moment I am not going to spend any time explaining what I am doing either. And I am not going to let someone come up and want my gun nor determine when I should make my move. If you want to come to gun fight bring a gun. If you want to be a human target go right ahead. If you want to be on the security team then volunteer! We cannot be certain what happened. Her story is the most credible one at this point. His may be a bit skewed as to how he sees it. It may not be the case. Thats all I am saying is that it doesn't exactly jive but it could just be assumptions on his part. A lot of it clearly is his assumptions. He cannot know what was being done nor planned to be done. He can only assume.

Murray then entered the church, police say, where Assam was one of several security guards on duty...

"I saw him coming through the doors," she told reporters on Monday. "I took cover, and I waited for him to get closer, and I came out of cover and identified myself, and engaged him, and took him down. And that's pretty much it."

Police said they were still investigating whether Assam's weapon killed Murray, or whether he might have died of a self-inflicted gunshot.

Now remember, most of his other shots at this location were just outside the church. Until this guy (by his own account) starts yelling at him. Same guy who tried to get someone to let them have their gun. And SHE doesn't even mention him. Heck she might have also been too engaged to notice anyone else. I suspect so. She probably was hiding waiting like the other two and when he then fired at this guy she went ahead and made the move. My guess is thats more likely something in that area where they each remember it all differently. And rightly so.

I would reserve judgment on this story of two other "Volunteer Security" persons not acting. Sometimes in the heat of the moment you can see things differently.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    Dear Moderator
    This is a tangent, but the question was asked.
    Carry on....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Just meant to point out that the meida....

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    I was only going by the account offered on CNN. You are correct in that she wasnt a private security type person wearing a uniform or anything like that. This is absolutely the kind of thing ordinary people need to see and understand. Good people with guns can help stop bad people with guns from killing more good people.

If only the hundreds of situations where this happeded EVERY DAY had some time on the front page like this one.
    Us

Would like us to think that she wasn't a permit holder, which she was. Use a wrong word and it goes a long way to muddy the waters for their readers. I listened to a local news reporter tonight that did the same thing. The term "security guard" conjures up a certain image which is incorrect.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

P.S. to all concerned; the brave lady will be on Larry King Live tonite for all interested.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    His interview will also be on Larry King live I just heard. Supposedly at 10 est. They did not mention her interview... In the mean time enjoy the Spice girls...

His interview is on right now.
    It does differ from Assam's.

I'm inclined to believe 100% Assam while this guy he's coming off to me as a grandstander in the way of hey I was there too, can I have some cake too.
    Bottom line he was not effective nor useful and Assam she was a one woman HRT team, as she lived the 23rd Psalm.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

Someone, please tell me why ANYONE at this point believes that God is going to protect his flock in churches. That's been disproved by now, repeatedly.
    It really seems to me that if you're not carrying in church, there's a gaping hole in your defense plan.
    Let them try to avoid recognition that CCW saves lives, now.
    We're living in a world that keeps showing us its horrible dangerous side. There's no excuse for "praying" when the only thing that works is "fighting."
    1. I really don't think they believe 'He' will protect them in church.
    2. You could also say 'if you're not carrying anywhere, not just church, that there's a gaping hole in your defense plan.
    3. They are avoiding recognizing that CCW works and saves lives. At least I haven't one word from the 'Brady Bunch' concerning this Colorado Springs shooting. I'm waiting for someone in the media to put 2 and 2 together and figure out that she was a CWL carrier.
    4. They don't need an 'excuse' for praying nor do they want one. Some people are just peaceful and would rather pray than resort to violence. Chacun à son gout. Would I pray in the face of violence? Could be, if the situation allowed, but I'd probably unholster the P7 I carry with me. But I don't blame them for praying if that's what they choose to do.

Your name is peacefuljeffrey, right?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Last report I heard... the perp shot in the springs is the man from the arvada shooting..

I could have heard wrong though.. i was in rush hour and there were idiots

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Larry Bourbonnais is just as much a hero as is Assam. Confronting a rifleman while unarmed. Talk about big brass ones!
    I must say I agree 100% on his bravery. His thoughts were probably along the line of; "If this chicken guard with the weapon won't fire at the BG and he won't give me his weapon to do so, maybe I'll draw fire so that he'll have to fire on the BG". This action just might have helped give Assam a headup on the BG also.
    Job well done!
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member
    UNBIELEVABLE !!!!!!!!!!

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Colo Springs shooting

What is known about the security guard who shot the killer? Surely her bravery saved many lives.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dahenrymd View Post
    What is known about the security guard who shot the killer? Surely her bravery saved many lives.
    Yes it did, and I hope she gets the recognition that she deserves. I also hope and pray for her that she can live at piece with her self

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links