Friends son shot by police.

This is a discussion on Friends son shot by police. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Went to work today and found out that a coworkers son was mixed up in a shooting. I'll let you read the article. This was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friends son shot by police.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

Went to work today and found out that a coworkers son was mixed up in a shooting. I'll let you read the article.

This was way too close to home for me. To think that a friends son might be the one I am protecting myself against.

From what I understand this was a good kid, just ran up on some hard times. Guess he just lost it.

Understandably, the family is tore up. I can't imagine my child being killed much less being shot and killed. Then add the fact that he as shot an killed because he was the BG. Horrible.

Unfortunate as it may be,this is a great example of why we all carry. You never know who, when or where.

Here's the article.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...=2007712100442

Man dies in New Albany gunfight
    Rail officer kills shooter downtown

By Melissa Gagliardi
    mgagliardi@courier-journal.com
    The Courier-Journal

A man was killed during a gunfight with a railroad police officer late yesterday afternoon in front of the New Albany Police Department.

Officials did not release the man's identity last night, nor that of the railroad officer.

Capt. Keith Whitlow, chief of detectives for the New Albany Police Department, said there was an exchange of gunfire between the man and a Norfolk Southern Railroad police officer. He said there was more than one shot fired, but he refused to give details regarding the incident, saying the investigation is still under way.

"There is still a lot of investigating to do, and we don't want to make any premature statements," he said.

The shooting occurred about 5:30 p.m., he said, adding that an autopsy is scheduled for this morning.

Yellow police tape blocked off the downtown intersection of Scribner Drive and Spring Street, where detectives set up at least five small evidence markers in the middle of the intersection.

Indiana State Police Trooper John Cleveland, who was assisting with traffic control, said he heard that the gunman was driving a white sport utility vehicle on Scribner Drive, then got out of the vehicle and fired two shots into it. Cleveland said the man then began walking and shooting randomly at other targets -- "cars, people, anything."

That is when the officer for the railroad arrived, and a gunfight followed, Cleveland said.

As investigators worked the scene, the ramp to I-64 was blocked, rerouting traffic until late into the evening.

Reporter Melissa Gagliardi can be reached at (502) 582-4117.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    Very sorry to hear that. My condolences to the family.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That's just nuts.

Well, I guess all you can say is that when someone is going to be BG, he's going to have a family, and they're going to have friends. Someone is going to be those friends. This time, I'm sorry to say, that was you.

While you're thinking about the hard luck of the kid's family, remember that at least they don't have to also deal with the idea that he killed some innocent person on top of it all.

yikes. thats got to be rough

My condolences to the family.
    Difficult times.

wyo-man

This is painful to hear, but it reminds me of someone I used to play music with. He was a talented keyboard player who started running with a bad crowd. During a drug bust, he pulled a knife on a LEO and she shot him DRT.

It is a shame, but it does show you can't always tell what is in a person's heart.

Sorry for you friend and his family.

Life is about choices, he made a bad one and it will hurt his family for the rest of thier lives. Not to mention the cop that had to kill him. I feel for the family but not the kid, he made a choice.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    That's just nuts.
    While you're thinking about the hard luck of the kid's family, remember that at least they don't have to also deal with the idea that he killed some innocent person on top of it all.
    That was top on my list. My wife and I had a conversation about the very same thing. Sure, he was killed, but at least he wasn't allowed to do harm to others.

No one wants to admit that the world would be a better place without their child.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I find it interesting that because the "Bad Guy" was known to someone here, there have been a number of condolences offered to his family. How often do we see this happen when it's NOT someone we know?

This gives a completely different slant on how we look at "BG's", doesn't it! Many of us are all too quick and find it very easy to say someone "deserved" what they got when it's a stranger. However, when it's a friend or family member who's the BG, that BG now has a face, a past and people who knew him. Maybe we should all consider that no matter who they are/were, every shooting victim - be they a GG OR a BG - had a family or friends who cared for them before we write them off as trash who ended up in the trash pile they deserved.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Big E,
    That is close to home. I live just downriver from you and Mrs. Airedale works at one of the big hospitals up your way. Both of us always carry. You never know.

I am sure it seems odd knowing one of the bad guys. We assume it's always some faceless/nameless person.

Dave

Sad occurence, but, as I always say... Live like a thug, die like a thug.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    I find it interesting that because the "Bad Guy" was known to someone here, there have been a number of condolences offered to his family. How often do we see this happen when it's NOT someone we know?

This gives a completely different slant on how we look at "BG's", doesn't it! Many of us are all too quick and find it very easy to say someone "deserved" what they got when it's a stranger. However, when it's a friend or family member who's the BG, that BG now has a face, a past and people who knew him. Maybe we should all consider that no matter who they are/were, every shooting victim - be they a GG OR a BG - had a family or friends who cared for them before we write them off as trash who ended up in the trash pile they deserved.
    That's why people can say that they feel bad for the family, but not for the dead bad guy who tried to hurt people. The family are not the ones driving his actions, he is.

This is not going to change how I feel about when a BG gets killed doing bad things.

If I know or don't know the person, the same thing still applies.

Be prepared to accept the occupational hazards of being a criminal.

And again... Live like a thug, die like a thug.

Every drug dealer, rapist, murderer, and gangster out there is some mother's son... somebody's brother, somebody's friend.

We can agonize about the effects on the bad guy's family as much as we want... hey, nobody wants to be considered heartless. It's always unfortunate when someone dies in violence. I don't believe any sane person has a desire to end another person's life.

As a parent, It's my responsibility to teach my children to know right from wrong, and to choose responsibly. I feel I've done the best I could do to this point.

My nephew, who used to live with me, recently committed suicide. It's been tough on my family. Still, the kid knew right from wrong, and made a bad decision. Not my fault, or his mother's fault, but we still pay for that decision. If he had injured someone else in the process, our pain would be even greater.

None of this changes reality. This kid was attacking innocent people, and needed to be stopped ASAP. The choice to hurt others was made by the individual who was killed. If he had made better choices in his life, he would still be with us.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Guy, I know was telling me about some of the people that was in and around that shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links