Resident shoots at alleged burglar

This is a discussion on Resident shoots at alleged burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Resident shoots at alleged burglar The Bakersfield Californian | Tuesday, Dec 11 2007 11:56 AM Last Updated: Tuesday, Dec 11 2007 1:51 PM Another Bakersfield ...

Thread: Resident shoots at alleged burglar

The Bakersfield Californian | Tuesday, Dec 11 2007 11:56 AM
    Last Updated: Tuesday, Dec 11 2007 1:51 PM

Another Bakersfield resident has fired a gun at an alleged intruder.

A homeowner in the 7200 block of Lindsay Road in rural south Bakersfield armed himself with a handgun and shot at an unfamiliar adult male trespassing in the resident’s fenced back yard Monday evening, the Kern County Sheriff's Department reported in a release Tuesday.

According to the release, sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the residence at about 7 p.m. after the department received a report of shots being fired.

The resident, Glen Richardson, 54, told deputies he was in his house when he heard someone in his back yard, according to the release.

Because he had been the victim of several prior burglaries, he armed himself with a handgun and then went into his yard to investigate.

As he entered the back yard, he reported seeing an unfamiliar adult male inside the yard, the Sheriff’s Department reported. The trespasser had what appeared to be a handgun in his hand and when he raised it in the direction of the homeowner, the homeowner fired one shot toward the man.

The intruder then ran from the area on foot. Deputies searched the area but where unable to locate the suspect.

When they inspected the residence, deputies located evidence of an attempted break-in. Deputies could not determine whether the man was hit by the homeowner’s shot, but they did not find blood or any other indicators, according to the release.

On Nov. 5, Steve Stewart shot and killed an intruder, sparking an investigation that eventually lead to five arrests in a bizarre murder for hire scheme.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

I like the quote from the police sgt

http://www.eyeoutforyou.com/news/local/12388781.html

A Bakersfield home-owner shot at an armed burglary suspect, scaring off the would-be crook Monday night. Sheriff officials say the resident has the right to protect himself with deadly use of force.

The incident happened in the area of Gosford and Lindsey Roads south of Bakersfield. The home-owner told Eyewitness News his property had been the target of crime and attempted burglaries three times in the last 18 months -- that's why he was ready with a gun.

The resident says he spotted the suspect trying to break into a front window of the house he built on the property for his son. They were both at the father's house when they heard the dog bark, and went to investigate.

The home-owner then spotted an unfamiliar man in the yard. "As soon as the unfamiliar male saw the home-owner, he raised what appeared to be a handgun toward the home-owner," Sheriff's Sgt. Ed Komin told Eyewitness News. "The home-owner took one shot toward the suspect, and the suspect fled on foot."

Sgt. Komin says it appears that shot did not hit the suspect. Officers who immediately came to the scene found no blood or any other indicators where the suspect took off.

The resident told Eyewitness News he saw the would-be burglar raise a gun, and he didn't want to be shot -- so he fired at the suspect.
    Sgt. Komin says a resident has the right to shoot an intruder to protect life.

"Certainly when the home-owner was threatened by what appeared to be a gun coming up toward him, it would be appropriate and prudent -- and that's the thing to do, is to use deadly force to protect yourself. That's the appropriate and legal thing to do."

Other neighbors say there have been several break-ins in the area. At one house, jewelry and computer equipment were stolen. Another neighbor came home to find suspects inside his house.

The suspect in the Monday night incident is described as a man of unknown race, about 5'9" and 170-pounds. Anyone with information can call the Sheriff's Department at 861-3110.

Sheriff officials confirm that there have been a number of burglaries and thefts. They do not know if this is the work of the same suspect.

The resident who shot at the suspect Monday night thinks the area is the target of crime because it's fairly rural. Neighbors say they have now started up a citizen patrol.

What can home-owners do to protect themselves and their property?
    "Dogs are great, alarms are great -- lighting goes a long way and that sort of thing to protect property," says Sgt. Komin. "Now, once it crosses the line where a person is threatened -- then higher levels of force, of course, are appropriate."

I think I like Sgt Komin and wish there were more LEO's with such a common sense approach to todays violent society.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Voiced that through the "Eyewhitness News"?!? And it ran?

I believe I like this SGT as well.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Me TOO!!!!!! Very well said!!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

I am amazed the the Media censors didn't cut that out of the story. Someone must have been sleeping at their job or was on vacation.

yea, thats great that it managed to get through the media's dont let ppl think filter

Nice.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

DC Founder
    I have merged two threads on the same incident....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I doubt that the intruder will return...I applaud the home owner...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I am amazed the the Media censors didn't cut that out of the story. Someone must have been sleeping at their job or was on vacation.
    It is the holidays....maybe you are right!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

ALLEGED!!Some more of the "political correctness" crap. If the sucker is caught in the house, breaking into the house, stealing from the house, doing burglary crimes inside someone elses' house, HE'S A BURGLAR!!
    What else does one need to know?
    If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck,,,,IT'S A DUCK!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Sponsored Links