Why would you need a gun for protection in NYC?

This is a discussion on Why would you need a gun for protection in NYC? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; N.Y. man films 'Criminals Gone Wild' By ALISON GENDAR and CORKY SIEMASZKO DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS Tuesday, December 11th 2007, 4:00 AM Shocking 'Criminals Gone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

N.Y. man films 'Criminals Gone Wild'

By ALISON GENDAR and CORKY SIEMASZKO
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Tuesday, December 11th 2007, 4:00 AM
    Shocking 'Criminals Gone Wild' video features footage of violent crimes as they take place and interviews with criminals who perpetrate them.

Meet the most depraved director in New York.

Ousala (FD) Aleem has found a way to capitalize on violent city crime by filming felonies as they happen, slapping them on a DVD - and selling them for $26.98 apiece, shipping included.

The 25-year-old filmmaker from Crown Heights, Brooklyn, said he's sold several thousand copies of "Criminals Gone Wild," and with Christmas coming there's even more demand for his movie mayhem.

"You try to make a product for the family, something that everybody can see, and nobody wants to buy it," said Aleem, a self-taught filmmaker who used to host a local TV show called "FDTV."

"The minute you come out with crime footage everybody wants to buy it. My pockets are fat now."

Aleem said he has no problem finding thugs to film - the word is out. They call him. "It's sad, but these people really don't care, they just want to be on TV," said Aleem. "I get phone calls from people who say, 'Come over to my part of town if you want to see some real crime.'"

The NYPD is reviewing the DVD trailer posted on YouTube to see if Aleem's footage is as real as he claims it is - and if there's enough to warrant an investigation of the filmmaker.

Real or not, what Aleem put on the trailer is as raw as it comes. It opens with a driver being carjacked by a gunman, shows a man unloading his gun on a man lying prone on the ground, and features a closeup of yet another thug stating in a matter-of-fact way, "Yeah, I killed somebody, man."

Another self-declared criminal with a blue bandanna covering the lower half of his face boasts that he has never done time, adding, "Which actually means I'm good at what I do." Later, that same bandanna-wearing man is filmed on the street closing in on a victim and can be heard saying, "We're about to rob this n---a live [on] TV."

That piece of footage in particular outraged the Flatbush, Brooklyn, man who alerted the Daily News about Aleem's shocking DVD. The man, who asked not to be named, claims he was the victim the bandanna-wearing bandit robbed last summer - and is convinced Aleem filmed the stickup on Church Ave.

"I know that was the guy who robbed me," the victim said. "He showed the gun and he said, 'Don't say nothing. Don't say nothing. Just hand it over.' Across the street I seen the guy with the camera."

The Flatbush man said that after the gunman made off with his money, he chased after the cameraman. "Then he starts walking fast and I said, 'Excuse me.'"

"Then I thought about it and stopped because I live around here and I didn't want it to get back to me," said the man, who said he reported the robbery to cops. "I've been robbed twice before and the police didn't do anything. I just don't understand how people can do something like that, tape it and say, 'Let's put it on YouTube.'"

Last week, another YouTube video of a gang of foulmouthed teenage girls pounding on a male subway rider outraged the city.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...gone_wild.html
    Last edited by distortion9; December 11th, 2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Added link to story
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Administrator
    Wow. I'm suprised the film maker hasnt been arrested yet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    For what ?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    For what ?
    Accessory to multiple felonies.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

I just watched the trailer. The camera man is hanging out with the criminals and going with them to commit crimes. It does look a bit like it could be staged though.

Accessory after the fact?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    Accessory to multiple felonies.
    I dont think so. He would technically be no different than any member of the news media filming an event...like your local news channel photograper that happened to be in the right spot at the right time.

On the other hand, if it is staged and it can be proven that he was involved, then bust his tail with being an Accessory to a felony.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The problem is that he is not in the right moment at the right time. He is going along with the criminals to commit the crime. The trailer shows them in a car getting ready to rob someone, one of the criminals chambers a round. He hangs out with them at their home while they plan stuff, from the looks of it.

To me it looks as if one of the criminals was video taping everything and decided to release a tape.

It is illegal to carry a gun in NYC. Again no guns allowed except for the BGs.

I dont think so. He would technically be no different than any member of the news media filming an event...like your local news channel photograper that happened to be in the right spot at the right time.

On the other hand, if it is staged and it can be proven that he was involved, then bust his tail with being an Accessory to a felony.
    Actually, in the article it says that people are calling him up ("I get phone calls from people who say, 'Come over to my part of town if you want to see some real crime.")

At the very least, he could be brought up on conspiracy charges. But, how can someone film a murder, not report it to the police and not be considered an accessory?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    For what ?
    The old term was "misprision of a felony." The question would be if that is a crime applicable to this case.

From Wikipedia, that bastion of the truth :

United States federal law

"Misprision of Felony" is still an offense under United States federal law after being codified in 1909 under 18 U.S.C. 4:

Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

However, this offense requires active concealment of a known felony rather than mere omission of failing to report it. [1]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    "The minute you come out with crime footage everybody wants to buy it. My pockets are fat now."
    And if there's a Hell, your soul is going there, you piece of .

It's truly amazing how depraved some people can be.

I hope he catches a stray bullet or ricochet in the eye and dies in his own excrement.

VIP Member
    Aleem said he has no problem finding thugs to film - the word is out. They call him. "It's sad, but these people really don't care, they just want to be on TV," said Aleem. "I get phone calls from people who say, 'Come over to my part of town if you want to see some real crime.'"

This "film-maker" isn't just filming random crime's. It sounds more to me like BG's are contacting him and purposefully committing a crime so the "film-maker" can film it as it occurs.

There is a special place "under the jail" for this guy.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    For what ?
    Oh let me count the possible charges....
    "Just blame Sixto"

A preview of the tape:

And, a course on "snitching":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yazG1hKuCww

Be advised, some foul language comes up during part of the interview/filming. Most of the film as presented is on an interview format.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links