Gunman Attack Teen, Mother in Fort Worth Apartment (Fox News)

This is a discussion on Gunman Attack Teen, Mother in Fort Worth Apartment (Fox News) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just saw this on Fox News: Gunman Attack Teen, Mother in Fort Worth Apartment A teenager was killed and his mother was wounded after several ...

Just saw this on Fox News:
    Gunman Attack Teen, Mother in Fort Worth Apartment

A teenager was killed and his mother was wounded after several gunmen came to the door of their Fort Worth apartment early Wednesday morning.

The 16-year-old student was reportedly asleep on the couch when he heard a knock at the door. He got up to answer it, and was shot several times.

His 38-year-old mother heard the shots and attempted to escape by jumping from the second story window into the parking lot. She was reportedly shot in the leg.

She was later treated and released at a local hospital, according to authorities.

Police say the suspects may have known the victim, and had possible been to the apartment before.

The teenager, his mother, the mother's live-in boyfriend and his two children were all inside the apartment at the time of the shooting, according to police.

Police are still searching for two or three suspects. They do not believe the shooting was gang-related.

Anyone with information is asked to contact authorities.
    I'm pretty sure there was another "knock and shoot" in the area too, at least I thought I heard them say that on the Fox News segment.

This should serve to remind everyone, NEVER OPEN YOUR DOOR UNLESS YOU KNOW WHO'S ON THE OTHER SIDE. Look through the peep hole, yell through it, do whatever it takes to ascertain who's on the other side and what their intentions are.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I just saw this too, and I'll be keeping an eye out for future developments.

Looking through the peephole should be automatic before you open the door. However, I can't bring myself to not find out what the person on the other side wants. If they honestly need help, I would feel like an @$!& for hiding behind the couch with my AR yelling at them to go away.

My plan has been to answer the door armed, watch their hands, and keep things short.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

my advice to my wife has been to look through the peep hole first. this will clear things up 99 percent of the time. if it doesn't, she is to take a couple steps over and, as "covertly" as possible, look through the window shade while asking the knocker who they are and/or what they want.

i'm not advocating "... hiding behind the couch with [your] AR ... ". but honestly, if you open that door at all, you've just created a HUGE opportunity if the person on the other side wants to take advantage of it. it's just something to keep in mind.

Erll if someone intends to shoot, whats to keep them from shooting through the door when the light goes out in the peephole. The next time you visit someone who has a peephole watch it, you can tell if they use it or not.
    It is safer to look through the side of a window from where you can see the doorway (if you have one). It would also be safer if you hade a video camera above the door and could look at a monitor to see who is there.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Erll if someone intends to shoot, whats to keep them from shooting through the door when the light goes out in the peephole. The next time you visit someone who has a peephole watch it, you can tell if they use it or not.
    It is safer to look through the side of a window from where you can see the doorway (if you have one). It would also be safer if you hade a video camera above the door and could look at a monitor to see who is there.
    Interesting

its the same reason when I'm answering my door, I walk softly so the other person cant hear me approaching the door, and its always dark on the inside of my apt. so they can't tell if someones there to answer , plus theres a radio playing 24/7 in my apt. so one can never know when I'm home or not

I also never stand directly behind the peep-hole, I sorta stand to the left or right, and lean at an angle to see thru the peep-hole

call me paranoid if you may .

Either keep that area of the house dark or tape a dark piece of paper so it hangs over the peep hole and then make sure before you lift it that that your head is blocking any light behind you. Have your gun in your hand.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    i'm not advocating "... hiding behind the couch with [your] AR ... ". but honestly, if you open that door at all, you've just created a HUGE opportunity if the person on the other side wants to take advantage of it. it's just something to keep in mind.
    That's very true. Sorry, my AR comment wasn't directed at you - just my own (exaddurated) thoughts on how I would respond to the same situation.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    That's very true. Sorry, my AR comment wasn't directed at you - just my own (exaddurated) thoughts on how I would respond to the same situation.
    Gotya It actually hit home because when I was explaining the "SOP", if you will, to the missus, she said basically the same thing ("What do you want me to do, hide behind the couch in the other room and yell all the way across the house?!").

We live in base housing which probably has as low a chance of a home invasion as you can get, and I constantly have to remind her to stay vigilant. That one time you just plop open the door could be a real eye-opening experience if there's an evil-doer on the other side of it.

A sad world that continues to have more dirt bags coming to the surface.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Intercoms work great and are a sound investment. No need to put yourself in harm's way. Coupled with a wireless video camera, you pretty much have all bases covered. I only go to the door to [a] leave the house, or [2] open it for expected arrivals.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Links