Charges dropped in killing of pit bull

This is a discussion on Charges dropped in killing of pit bull within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Charges dropped against man accused of killing a pit-bull From NBC12 News Tuesday, July 26, 2005 Charges have been dropped against a Hopewell air conditioner ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charges dropped in killing of pit bull

Charges dropped against man accused of killing a pit-bull

From NBC12 News
    Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Charges have been dropped against a Hopewell air conditioner repairman who killed a pit bull.

Gerald Dupree testified Monday he shot "Diamond" during a May service call out of fear of being attacked.

The judge determined there was reasonable doubt and dismissed the case.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Hmmmm... An AC tech allowed to carry on the job? Cool employer!

Assistant Administrator
    Seems very often the ''pit bull'' incidents drive very heated debates (flames!) between folks with different opinions on that type of dog, and a few others. We've had those on THR and they usually get outa hand!

For me - if a dog (any dog) is going for me thru no provocation, then I will most certainly take all means possible to neutralize the threat. Damage from a dog attack can be horrendous.

I am glad this guy got off OK - I doubt he had any choice re his actions and yeah - cool too he was able to be carrying.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Bet he got fired i know our ac techs cant carry and neither can i

Administrator

woof woof

The same way that their are irresponsible parents...there are irresponsible dog owners.
    If you own any breed of dog that capable of inflicting almost instantaneous serious bodily injury or death then you need to make absolutely sure that your animal never gets the chance to attack innocent people.
    If there is a large or deadly type dog loose & coming at you...by the time you figure out what the exact intentions of that dog are...half of your face and one eye could be missing.
    I have absolutely no problem with anybody keeping any breed of dog at all...but, if your animal ever gets out of your direct control then expect the worst to happen to it...or you.
    You NEED to be a totally responsible pet owner 100% of the time.
    Also be prepared to lose your house and/or every personal possession that you own and probably do prison time if your (whatever) chosen breed of pet attacks, kills, or seriously maims an innocent person or child.
    You should be aware of that in advance because that will happen now that the legal court precedent has already been established for it.
    I DO think that some owners of some breeds of dogs get an unfair rap but, basically (these days) you can plan on any large animal that you own that attacks and does grave bodily injury to an innocent will probably cost you big time. Just my "word to the wise" humble opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Damage from a dog attack can be horrendous
    I have a scar on my forehead, one just above my right eye, and several on the rest of my head that can be seen when my hair is cut short. It was several years before I was comfortable around any dog larger than a poodle.

This happened when I was eight.

Chris

DM
    What I love are the folks that refuse to believe that some dogs are inherently dangerous.These are breeds that have been molded over the years for a specific purpose ie. fighting ,protection and so on. I try to explain that naturally aggressive dogs will be aggressive. "No, it depends on how you raise them " is the usual response. How the animal is socialized can have an effect on how it behaves , but nature can and will take over eventually.It's like trying to make my setter and brit stop pointing birds.Short of killing the dogs I don't think you could do it. I love dogs, I have three of them right now , but I don't think I could allow a pitbull or chow in the same house as my children.Just my opinion.

Assistant Administrator
    I don't think I could allow a pitbull or chow in the same house as my children.
    I'd include Rotties and Dobermans too DM.

I regard some of these breeds like perhaps a convicted sex offender - there is ''something'' in their genes such that however ''nice'' they can appear to be - there is risk - one I would not wish take. My kids are long gone but I'd still not find enough trust to want one near my own home.

Better not say more or I'll upset some owners!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry

Better not say more or I'll upset some owners!
    So what! When I see these breeds I go to a high alert state.

Administrator

Spaniels

I know for a fact that pedigree American Cocker Spaniels were bred too close in the United States & the entire breed became sporadically mean.
    There was then a real effort made to breed the mean streak out of the American Cocker by bringing in a variety of Spaniels from Great Britain in order to mellow out the the breed.
    That effort was VERY successful and now the American Spaniel is an extremely friendly breed.
    I use this as an example that any breed of dog can become inherently mean & nasty due to improper breeding.

Also Note: Dogs are like people in that they forget themselves sometimes.
    ALL dogs were originally wild "pack animals" sometimes (and especially around food & while they are eating) they can suddenly go instinctive & revert back to "food defensive pack" animals.
    Do not ever trust or leave any dog with an existing tendency to revert back to "pack" alone around small children.

VIP Member
    My dad has a half-rottie, half-pitbull dog. The puppy got quite a few "that's going to be a bad dog" comments, and I was also worried the dog was going to be aggressive when grown. Dad bought him from a couple teenagers who were peddling a knapsack full of the pups, and we weren't sure if they were bred from mean parents to produce meaner dogs. The dog has grown up to be the world's biggest, submissive sissy, and I'll bet a lot of that has to do with my mother's ability to keep that dog in his place. But I still won't let him be alone around my little nieces.

I've been bitten by one dog, a schnauzer size medium. I would've punted that dog like a football if the owner, as armed as I was, wasn't standing right there.

Also Note: Dogs are like people in that they forget themselves sometimes.
    ALL dogs were originally wild "pack animals" sometimes (and especially around food & while they are eating) they can suddenly go instinctive & revert back to "food defensive pack" animals.
    Do not ever trust or leave any dog with an existing tendency to revert back to "pack" alone around small children.
    I agree. I'm a big dog lover, but it must always be taken into consideration that dogs are not humans and their ability to rationalize like one is limited.

When I was a toddler, grandma had an enormous St. Bernard. Henry was a wonderful dog and much taller than me. He was also the most kid-friendly dog I've ever known, allowing all the grandkids to climb all over him. He could've easily swallowed my head.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator

My Past Puppy

She is long gone.
    She was a true killer & a maneater & would always go straight for the jugular.
    You can just see the pure sneaking evil in her eyes.
    She used to think one of my old leopard pelts was her doggone MOTHER & would not sleep anywhere else!
    They were old style African "native tanned" and still smelled a bit more than slightly "gamey." That is where she picked up her predatory "inSTINKS" haha. My wife used to hafta bathe her often 'cause she always smelled like lion scent.
    Sorry about the picture quality but, this was taken well before digital cameras and scanned on a cheap and very early scanner.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Why was the guy charged in the first place??

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Because he was carrying and used it.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

According to CDC stats the breed that inflicts the most bites yearly is the Cocker Spaniel ... NOT one of the so called "dangerous breeds".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links