Ugly: Lake Elsinore mother was shot to death with her infant in the car

This is a discussion on Ugly: Lake Elsinore mother was shot to death with her infant in the car within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by The Californian: Documents: Teen girls killed to get to Knott's Scary Farm By: JOHN HALL - Staff Writer Lake Elsinore mother was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Ugly: Lake Elsinore mother was shot to death with her infant in the car

As reported by The Californian:

Documents: Teen girls killed to get to Knott's Scary Farm

By: JOHN HALL - Staff Writer
    Lake Elsinore mother was shot to death with her infant in the car

A young Lake Elsinore mother was shot to death in front of her 11-month-old baby so two teen girls would have a car to get to Knott's Scary Farm in October, according to court documents obtained Tuesday by The Californian.

The documents, affidavits written by a homicide investigator requesting warrants to search properties and vehicles, contain chilling details of the crime.

Among those details are how the two girls -- ages 15 and 17 -- planned to shoot someone and carjack their vehicle to get them to the annual amusement park event, how they got a ride from a man but didn't shoot him for some reason, and how they targeted their victim after seeing a Chrysler 300 in a restaurant parking lot and deciding it was "nice."

There was nothing in the court documents about whether the teens ever made it to Knott's that night.

"Based on the uncontroverted facts of the case, this is one of the most cold-blooded murders I've handled," veteran prosecutor John Davis said of the Oct. 18 slaying of 20-year-old Angelina Arias. Davis said he has prosecuted more than 100 homicides.

"They didn't have a beef with her, she was not a rival, and this wasn't something that happened in the heat-of-passion," Davis said. "This was a random thing they decided ahead of time they were going to do to an anonymous victim."

Two girls were arrested the day after the woman's body was found in the roadway at Lantern Hill and Westwind Drive in Lake Elsinore. They have since been charged with murder.

Anna Salinas, 15, of Perris, and Dayana Cordova, 17, of Lake Elsinore are being tried as adults and have each pleaded not guilty to all charges.

According to documents filed at the Hall of Justice in downtown Riverside, both girls admitted to the crime and both said the younger girl fired the shots that killed Arias.

Arias had just picked up her infant daughter from the babysitter after finishing her shift as a waitress at Mariscos Restaurant in Lake Elsinore, Riverside County sheriff's Investigator Raymond Huskey wrote.

What follows are details of the slaying and the investigation as described by Huskey in court documents:

Co-workers at the restaurant told investigators that Arias had waited on two girls later identified as Cordova and Salinas.

Arias told one co-worker that she was going to help the girls because they did not have a ride.

The babysitter used by Arias that night told investigators that she invited Arias in when she picked up the infant, but she declined, saying she had two girls in her car and was giving them a ride.

After the slaying, investigators found and viewed surveillance video at Brookstone Liquor next to the restaurant and, based on descriptions given by restaurant workers, saw two girls come into the store and buy some things.

The day after the slaying, that video was shown to Deputy Raymond Hiers, a school resource officer at Lakeside High in Lake Elsinore and he recognized Cordova as one of the girls. Huskey then went to Cordova's Lake Elsinore home, found the girl and took her to the Lake Elsinore Sheriff's Station for questioning.

At about the same time, deputies spotted Arias' stolen Chrysler being driven by Salinas at Fourth and Wilkerson streets in Perris. Salinas was also detained and taken to the Lake Elsinore station where Huskey says he identified her as the other girl in the surveillance video.

After being read her Miranda rights and waiving her right to remain silent, Cordova gave the following account to investigators, according to court documents:

Cordova said she and Salinas had taken a revolver belonging to Cordova's father "and began looking for a car to steal."

Soon after walking from the restaurant in Lake Elsinore, they were picked up by the waitress who served them.

"... Salinas sat in the front right seat with Cordova behind the driver," Huskey wrote.

The waitress picked up her daughter and then drove to Lantern Hill and Westwind Drive "where Salinas pulled out the revolver and shot the waitress several times," the document states.

"Cordova said she unbuckled the waitress' seat belt and they both pushed her out of the car," Huskey wrote. Salinas then slid over to the driver's seat and the girls headed to Perris where they abandoned the infant at an unknown house, the document states.

Huskey wrote that Salinas gave investigators the same details as Cordova after she was read her rights and agreed to talk.

Davis, the prosecutor, said the details of this case outraged him.

"This woman not only was nice enough to offer them a ride, but she had just picked up her baby before she was killed," Davis said.

"But she was shot anyway -- in front of her daughter -- and then her body pushed out of the car," he said.

"How amoral do you have to be to do that?" Davis asked.

The prosecutor said it was "unusual" to have a case involving teenage girls charged with murder.

"When you hear about a killing like this, seldom it is young girls," Davis said. "But, in my mind, that in no way lessens the impact of what happened.

-- Contact staff writer John Hall at (951) 676-4315, Ext. 2628, or jhall@californian.com.

The story can be found at; http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007...5412_11_07.txt

- Janq
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I would think that the gun owner could be held accountable as well. ie: FAILED TO SECURE THE WEAPON.
    Struckat and gatorbait51 like this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    I would think that the gun owner could be held accountable as well. ie: FAILED TO SECURE THE WEAPON.
    I have allways had a problem with blaming folks that have their property stolen. Are we going to blame the victim for allowing her car to be stolen if they used it in a crime also?

Michael
    RScottie and gatorbait51 like this.

whens the madness ever quit ?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I have allways had a problem with blaming folks that have their property stolen. Are we going to blame the victim for allowing her car to be stolen if they used it in a crime also?

Michael
    You bet...accountability...I leave the door unlocked and/or keys in the iginition...you bet..."allowing" is the operative word.

Rick
    gatorbait51 likes this.

My God,

It scares me to think of how little life is respected by some of today's youth.

A neighbor is a Magistrate - he has mentioned the lack of morality in general of some of the younger of those who come before him. Their callousness, self-serving attitude, and lack of respect for others are truly disturbing to him. Comitting crime, doesent seem to bother these kids at all - no sense of right or wrong - just what THEY want. When they want it.

I'm old fashioned and still believe that kids mostly are a product of their upbringing and enviroment, and as such, a lot of the information available to kids today leads some to believe that the fictional world they see on TV, in video games, internet etc. is real, and anything they want is OK. Sex, drugs, etc. etc.

Couple the aforementioned with the right type of psychological makeup, and the result may be disasterous. As in this case.

With the callous disregard for life demonstrated here, I agree with prosecuting as an adult.

Just for general information, I'll recount a similar tragic evet that happened in our family:

One of our sons operates an apartment house in Richmond, Va. The maintenance man who had taken in his troubled, drug addicted nephew allowing him to live in his apartment until he could get straightened out was found stabbed to death. The murder was discovered when the fire alarm went off after the nephew had tried to burn the apartment to cover up the crime. The uncle was a good man - what could cause this kid to bite the hand that was literally feeding him is a tragic mystery.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

"McMansions" is the denigration applied to the monstrosities passing for some homes, these days. A symbol of the have-it-all / have-it-now lifestyle. I suppose one could call heinous actions like this "McMurders." Hold the pickle, hold the lettuce, got no gun?, that don't upset us ... 'cause we can simply waltz into daddy's bedroom and take his. Prosecuted as adults? Absolutely. Do the crime ... do the time.

'Cordova said she and Salinas had taken a revolver belonging to Cordova's father "and began looking for a car to steal." '
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I have allways [sic] had a problem with blaming folks that have their property stolen.
    If daddy's murderous punk daughter hot-wired the family car, then that's clearly stealing. But if daddy casually left a deadly weapon lying around in the house unsecured by a safe, such that the same murderous punk daughter could pick it up as easily as a Nerf ball from the toy chest, then the prosecutor isn't going to like the answers he'll provide as to his contribution to her crimes. Can you say "failure to secure deadly weapons"? The prosecutor surely can.

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    whens the madness ever quit ?
    When the last innocent lies dead in the gutter, the way things are going.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

May God help us all. I don't see anything wrong with a death penalty for teenagers, or a life sentence for an act of this magnitude. And daddy? Aiding and abetting, accessory to murder. 25 years for him.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I was wrong when I implied that whoever the kids got the gun from was innocent. I skipped over the part where it was a gun in their own house. If you have kds I do agree that its your responsibility to control their access to ALL dangerous items.
    What I said was a kneejerk reaction of mine from reading alot of stories about guns being stolen during breakins. Then officials wanting to charge the homeowners for crimes commited with the gun. That is where I have a problem.

Michael
    gatorbait51 likes this.

It's a sad world today.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

This worries me when I think about how my kids will make it through high school with kids out there like this.....granted they have a while, but will it ever get better?

Such little regard for life, and so fast to kill. There is no separation between adult and minor with crimes like these. They should be put away forever or put to death.
    Struckat and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    Lets say you hang your car keys on a hook in the kitchen every day
    when they are not in use. Next your kid steals the vehicle and kills a whole family comming home from church by screwing around and ramming them in the rear end for "fun".

Should you be held accountable for allowing the child easy access to the car key's.---I think not.

Let's think for a moment before we start down this road...
    Freedom Doc and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by landelmer View Post
    Should you be held accountable for allowing the child easy access to the car key's [sic].---I think not.

Let's think for a moment before we start down this road.
    The road has been traveled for some time. Easy access to a car isn't regulated in the same way as with a purpose-built lethal weapon such as a firearm. Laws are already on the books in many places requiring appropriate control be maintained over firearms. To the degree that easy access combines with failure to parent or supervise, many states do indeed hold the contributing parties partly liable.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

whatever sentence is handed down to these two creatures,they both deserve it to be the maximum.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

A dark reminder that evil comes in the innocent looking packages.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links