UGLY: Teen gets life for shooting young mother in front of her kids

This is a discussion on UGLY: Teen gets life for shooting young mother in front of her kids within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://hamptonroads.com/2007/12/teen...front-her-kids By Michelle Washington The Virginian-Pilot © December 14, 2007 NORFOLK Mike Weiss looked at one of the teenaged boys who shot and paralyzed his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UGLY: Teen gets life for shooting young mother in front of her kids

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

UGLY: Teen gets life for shooting young mother in front of her kids

http://hamptonroads.com/2007/12/teen...front-her-kids

By Michelle Washington
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © December 14, 2007

NORFOLK

Mike Weiss looked at one of the teenaged boys who shot and paralyzed his wife and then made a request of the judge. “All I ask is the same mercy they showed my wife and kids,” Weiss said. “The same mercy. Which is none.”

Weiss testified Thursday during the sentencing hearing of Keyanta Moore, one of four youths charged with shooting Dawn Weiss on May 2 during a home invasion robbery in the 8100 block of Redmon Road.

The robbers shot Weiss five times in front of her daughters, Kayla and Destyni, now 10 and 6. They were unharmed. The bullets fractured two of Weiss’ vertebrae and damaged her spinal cord, leaving her paralyzed from the chest down.

Circuit Judge Karen J. Burrell sentenced Moore to life in prison plus 173 years for the shooting and robbery of Dawn Weiss and for another home invasion a block away the day before. The guns used to shoot Weiss were stolen during the May 1 robbery, according to prosecutor Jim Entas. Moore and his cousin, Michael Moore Jr., shot Weiss.

The sentence far exceeded guidelines that suggested a term of 23 to 31 years. Moore was 15 at the time of the shooting; he is now 16.

Mike Weiss, a sergeant first class in the Army, was in Kuwait when it happened. When word reached him, he was told his wife was not expected to live.

Both Mike and Dawn Weiss testified about how the shooting has changed their lives.

“We’re no longer just husband and wife and daughters,” he said. “We’re her caretakers.”

In some ways, he said, she is like a newborn.

“She can’t do anything by herself,” he said. “She can’t get her own food. She can’t go to the bathroom. Just to roll over in bed she has to wake me up and I have to do that for her.”

Nerve damage makes her feel as though she has been doused with gasoline and set afire, he said. While the Army’s health insurance pays for many of their costs, they have spent thousands of dollars on the medicines she needs, her wheelchair and therapy.

They live in fear that a simple cold could lead to pneumonia, because her diaphragm is paralyzed and she cannot cough. Dawn Weiss testified Thursday that she had been strong and independent before the shooting.

Now she fears that she won’t be able to protect her daughters. She thinks about the shooting every day, she said, and asks why.

The shooting happened in a car as Weiss and the girls tried to escape. When Weiss was shot, she slumped over in the front seat. Her daughters honked the car horn to get help. Trey Cooper lived nearby. At first, he said, he thought a rainstorm had caused a fender bender. When the horn continued to sound, he went outside and found Weiss.

Dawn’s blood soaked through the towel he had used to staunch the flow from the bullet wounds at her neck, Cooper testified, so he used his shirt.

“She was giving me her good-byes to say to people,” Cooper said.

He thinks about seeing the girls, one clutching a teddy bear, both covered in their mother’s blood.

“I’ll never forget what a heinous scene it was,” Cooper said, “how callous it was. She was left to bleed out in the pouring rain with her children.”

One of Moore’s lawyers, Henry Sadler, told Burrell that his client’s youth affected his ability to make decisions. “He’s a child,” Sadler said, “he’s still a child in many ways.”

Before Burrell pronounced her sentence, Moore turned to face Dawn and Mike Weiss, who held hands in the front row of the courtroom.

“I’d like to say I’m sorry to Ms. Weiss and her family,” Moore said. “I didn’t mean for you to get shot. It wasn’t all on me. But at the same time I accept full responsibility for what I done.”

Two others charged in the crimes, Michael Moore Jr., 18, and Vicktor Stine-Cunningham, 18, are scheduled to be sentenced today. The fourth, Randell Barkley Jr., 16, is scheduled to be sentenced Monday.

Michelle Washington, (757) 446-2287, michelle. washington@pilotonline.com
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Like I stated in another thread----I have no problem with capitol punishment for teens who commit acts such as these. Children? My ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Like I stated in another thread----I have no problem with capitol punishment for teens who commit acts such as these. Children? My ass.
    Ditto.....and the fact that she's not "dead" doesn't mean that they didn't deprive her of her "life".

There is no punishment large enough to fit this crime.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Good on the judge.

I may be in the minority here, but I have to disagree with the first word in the title of this thread - I think it should read "BEAUTIFUL"...

Obviously, this is because the title refers to the sentencing, not to the crime, which in deed is about as ugly as it gets.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Russia, for some time, used 44 cal justice. Sounds like a plan to me.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

It should be the death penalty.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Great sentence....and I like the comment made by the husband to the judge about mercy.

the use of sentencing "outside" the norm will cause this to be looked at on appeal and the sentence possibly overturned...

the family may have to go through the sentencing phase all over again - tell me how that can be "good"

Mom talks about "protecting" her daughters - she failed in that already...

Dad was away protecting us and our way of life - something needs to be done to protect the families of our service members when they are away...

IMHO - these punk kids need to spend the rest of their lives taking care of her and hers... (only reasonable argument I ever saw for slavery)

173 years??

On our Dimes, I am thinking a Bullet is ALOT Cheaper, and It's what they deserve.
    "Homeland Security Begins at Home"
    http://www.michigancpl.net

S&W M&P 9C.
    Sig P232

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    Mom talks about "protecting" her daughters - she failed in that already...
    That comment seems quite insensitive....she was obviously unarmed and tried to escape. What do you suggest she should have done against 4 attackers? So any victim is just a sheep?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I agree, but only if it follows 10 years of torture first.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Hopefully he gets to share a cell with Lee Roy...watch that soap.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

"...Mom talks about "protecting" her daughters - she failed in that already... "

Don't know the circumstances. She may have done the best she could.

Soceity has failed her because we have a broken justice system that doesn't adequately protect young mothers from evil.

I think all four should just be hit in the head with a hammer and put out of our misery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links