Fresh from the news, A woman knocks on your door...

This is a discussion on Fresh from the news, A woman knocks on your door... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; And then it happens: Man shoots and kills home-invasion robber December 14th, 2007 @ 12:00pm Nicole Gonzales and Tom Callan reporting Police are looking for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh from the news, A woman knocks on your door...

Fresh from the news, A woman knocks on your door...

And then it happens:

Man shoots and kills home-invasion robber
    December 14th, 2007 @ 12:00pm

Nicole Gonzales and Tom Callan reporting

Police are looking for two suspects in a home invasion robbery. A third suspect is dead after the homeowner shot him.

West Valley Police say it started just before 10:30 last night when a woman knocked on the door of a residence near 3500 South and 4400 West. Then two men forced their way into the home.

Three people were home at the time -- the homeowner, his wife and their baby, who was sleeping in another room.

The invaders taped the wife to a chair while they forced the homeowner around the house at gunpoint to collect valuables. At some point the homeowner was able to overpower one of the robbers, grab his gun, and kill him.

Police say the homeowner called for help. "It was the owner that called us and said, 'These guys broke into my house, and I shot one of them,'" said Lt. Lamont Cox of the West Valley Police Department.

Now police are looking for the second robber, who fled, and the woman who knocked on the door.

Sgt. Chad Evans said, "Because of what happened last night, we believe he's probably more scared and on the run than looking to do something like this again. We're hoping that's the case."

Police have not yet identified the suspect who was killed. They do know from tattoos that the man was in a gang. Because of that, police aren't releasing the victims' names.

"Just in the far chance that any friends or suspects were interested in any type of retaliation," Sgt. Evans said.

The male suspect on the loose is believed to be armed. The homeowner has not been charged with anything, but the case is still under investigation.
    This is why I ALWAYS answer the door with my firearm on me.

2. Remove Ads

At least it worked out, but the guy that got away knows where he lives. Hope he brings his own gun to his next gunfight.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    A good reminder to never let down your guard!

This could have been very much worse!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

One never knows do they? Alot of new tactics out there from the BGs. Sometimes it's hard to not come off as a paranoid individual. I also hate to say this, but something like that is a learning experience for us all (or at least it should be)--the only problem is that someone had to go through that experience in order to enlighten us. Although I am not what's considered a religious person, I do believe in God, and have read the bible. Therefore I couldn't quote the chapter and verse, but I believe it was stated more than one time-----The Good Lord said-"Be ready". And to that I say Amen!

Anyone who thinks a woman can't be as vile, evil and dangerous as a man should try to politely show one to the door in a bar, will they kick, bite, scratch,spit,cuss and strike you. Not only that every knight in shining armor/besotted fool in the place thinks if comes to the defense of her tarnished honor by kicking your butt he will gain her favors. NEVER under estimate ANYONE as a potential threat.

*be polite
    *be professional
    * have a plan to kill everyone you meet

We like to think that this will never happen to us, but then again that is the "sheep" mindset. The best thing the BG's have going for them is the element of surprise. We need to be ready to overcome this obstacle by being prepared and always cautious regardless of where we are, even at church these days..

All the more reason to make sure that you answer the late night knock with CCW in-hand.

VIP Member
    These guys just keep getting dead...isn't that just great!"At some point the homeowner was able to overpower one of the robbers, grab his gun, and kill him"....another no-show at the court house..

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    A knock on the door at 22:30 is an intelligence test; to open the door is to fail the test. Although the posted story doesn't explicitly state whether the home owner opened the door, I suspect he did. He only survived by getting extremely lucky later on---if the invaders had taped the guy to the chair instead of the wife, they would probably both be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    A knock on the door at 22:30 is an intelligence test; to open the door is to fail the test.
    Thank you. With the popularity of cell phones, if it was someone you knew they would call first.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    A knock on the door at 22:30 is an intelligence test; to open the door is to fail the test.
    Exactly. The fact they survived is simply sheer dumb luck. Good for them, but it wasn't much due to any precautions they took from the outset. Kudos to him for taking the initiative once it presented itself. The next time (and they now know where he lives), the intruders may not be so agreeable or lax in their tactics.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

While one expects relative security in their own home, it's foolish in the extreme to think that nothing will happen to you when you are at home.

Home invasions appear to be on the rise, and one must be prepared to deal with sudden, unexpected violence from anyone who comes knocking on your door, day or night.

The stakes are too high these days to be complacent with people who come to your door even if you think it's just the mail man or the Fed-Ex guy.

When you answer your door, if your gun isn't either in your hand or on your body, it better be within a few inches of the door when you answer it.

People also need to realize that the handgun is your best option for defense against a sudden and unexpected forced entry.

Thugs who force the door, kick it in as soon as you unlock or open a crack are very dangerous. The fight is on immediately after you start to open the door, and attempting to fight them off while trying to get to a home defense shotgun that may be stored in another area of the room or house is really putting you behind the learning curve when the situation is in your face and desperate! Not to mention trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques.

I always keep a snubnose .357 hidden very close to the front door so for whatever reason... in case I don't happen to have my usual Glock or XD with me when I go to the door, the snubby is there "just in case."

I always keep my glock or XD on me or next to me during all waking hours, but if for some rare reason, I don't have it with me when going to the door, there's always the "door gun" very close by.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Had a man and woman come to my door one night around 11. I was like wth ringing the door bell this time of night and I had got a little sleepy also, grabbed the gun, flipped the porch light on and cracked the door, left the security rod iron door(also has that plexi glass in it) close, so they werent going to be able to force it open.

Said they ran out of gas, they were from a town about 45mins away. I'm guessing they may have been at a fight party as there was a fight on ppv that night and a guy usally has people over to watch the fight. Anyway they asked were the nearest open gas station, told them about 20min walking or if I could go get them the gas, they would give me the money and wait till I got back.

I was like nope sorry I'm in the bed shut the door, flipped the light, looked out to make sure they ddint try to key my car :) then went to bed lol

My thinking was how are you going to drive from the next city and not look at your gas hand, guess you got what you deserve.
    It's just too dangerous to try and help people these days unless you are with a buddy and can sort of scout the area
    Last edited by JD; May 2nd, 2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Coreceted language workaround.

This is really a common ploy that bg's use to gain entry to homes. It's best not to open the door but talk through it and tell the person that police have been called to help them.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

You know, on this note, my gf thinks im crazy/paranoid when i get upset with her for opening the door anytime someone knocks.

And i do, i tell her "what the hell is wrong with you?" :)
    Always ask who it is or look out the peep.

She only does it to appease me really rather than for safety reasons.
    :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links