Homeowner cocks gun, burglar flees.

This is a discussion on Homeowner cocks gun, burglar flees. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just saw this on my local news. In the segment, they had the homeowner on, demonstrating him cocking the gun, and said the burglar heard ...

Thread: Homeowner cocks gun, burglar flees.

Just saw this on my local news. In the segment, they had the homeowner on, demonstrating him cocking the gun, and said the burglar heard the click, and ran off.

http://www.nbc30.com/news/14874061/d...=headlineclick

Most of the story is about the pattern of break-ins, lock your doors and windows, etc, the relevant part is

This is the gun that Ronald Bard said scared off a brazen burglar that came into his home in the middle of the night.

"I heard him walking on my hardwood floors. I hadn't been asleep. It was 2:30 in the morning when I heard strange noises in my hallway. I grabbed my gun, cocked it and he ran away," Bard said.
    After Bard checked the kitchen and the living room to make sure he wasn't still in the house. He then checked the garage. That is when he saw him going down the hill.

What happens after 'click'? Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    +1 !

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar

BOOM
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Administrator
    Truthfully just the presence of a firearm either halts or deescalates a potential deadly threat about 2 mllion times per year in the U.S. - something that hardly ever gets reported.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

what kind of gun was it? I bet if it was a pump shotgun he got the hell out in a hurry.That is a unmistakable sound.

The BG was very, very lucky. His quick reactions probably saved his life. Sadly, since he survived, he will be endangering another household soon.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

in this house hold, not very likely you would hear the click of the safety being moved to the FIRE position, on either the 45 or the 12 ga.

Quote Originally Posted by brian06 View Post
    what kind of gun was it? I bet if it was a pump shotgun he got the hell out in a hurry.That is a unmistakable sound.
    I didn't see it, I was called into the room when it came on. It was described to me as a "small, silver revolver". Been meaning to get a pump shotgun for exactly that reason.

VIP Member
    I have to say, the "if I just pump ol' Bessy here, the BG will have a heart attack, and his momma will probably pee her pants, wherever she is!" mentality bugs me a little. Yes, as this example illustrates, a sound may very well cause a burglar to flee. However, it may not and you have just announced to the BG not only that you are armed, but given him a general idea where you are...

If I was a dedicated BG, there to cause you harm or to take what I want regardless of your resistance level - you have just made a potentially deadly mistake. I know I would simply fire through the doors/wall at the sound, or cause a distraction in one area while flanking you in another, or just have my buddy go around the other way to take you down. In any case, it's information that you don't need to give out.

No matter what, don't count on anything as innocuous as a sound to deter a violent criminal attack. If you believe it can help, and that the benefits outweigh the risks, then by all means carry your shottie in "cruiser ready." Just expect that the "noise deterrent" will fail utterly, and be happy if it does happen to work!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Maybe I should store my gun WITHOUT one in the chamber.

If that was my house the only sound that could be heard was gun clearing holster and my big feet walking around. Maybe I should not have one in the chamber when I'm home. That way there would be the racking noise.

Of course, the other option is to have my pump shotgun closer to the bed and just rack it. That should scare anyone off!

There is only one sound more effective than a pump shot gun racking. Some say it is up to 99.9% effective in stopping the spread of criminals. the sweet sound of a 12ga loaded with 00buck putting empty shells on wood floor.

-Alex
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

VIP Member
    Opfor, you do have a point but I dont think most of us would drop our guard right after cocking the firearm. It is more like "He was a crook but he wasn't that dumb after all" kinda thing.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

If you want to scare off the BG by sound, set a couple of recordings around the house that can be activated by remote controll. Such as a pump shotgun in one area and a AK in another, both have distinct sounds, another would be the sound of a leveraction working. They wouldn't have to be any louder then the natural sound. If they came one after another from different parts of the house could make the BG think there was more then one defender.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    If you want to scare off the BG by sound, set a couple of recordings around the house that can be activated by remote controll. Such as a pump shotgun in one area and a AK in another, both have distinct sounds, another would be the sound of a leveraction working. They wouldn't have to be any louder then the natural sound. If they came one after another from different parts of the house could make the BG think there was more then one defender.
    This could be a great idea...a stereo system...through the entire house. When the BG enters the main living area, the system is activated with the sounds of two shotguns 'racking' in each perimeter room...

Stay armed...stay safe!

It would sound like an army...
    An additional recording could be of someone calling 911 for an ambulance..."Subject with MULTIPLE shotgun woulds...needs help!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links