Road Rage (FL) GG 2, BG 0.

This is a discussion on Road Rage (FL) GG 2, BG 0. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; BROWARD COUNTY BSO: Black driver shot 2 whites in self-defense A black motorist who shot two white men was called the victim of a hate ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road Rage (FL) GG 2, BG 0.

VIP Member

BROWARD COUNTY
    BSO: Black driver shot 2 whites in self-defense
    A black motorist who shot two white men was called the victim of a hate crime and won't be charged.
    Posted on Wed, Dec. 19, 2007

BY TRENTON DANIEL, JENNIFER LEBOVICH AND DAVID SMILEY
    jlebovich@MiamiHerald.com
    Surviving suspect Steven V. Lonzisero will be charged with felony murder in the death of his alleged accomplice.
    BROWARD SHERIFF'S OFFICE
    Surviving suspect Steven V. Lonzisero will be charged with felony murder in the death of his alleged accomplice.

With one wielding a knife, two men pounded on Hygens Labidou's roofing truck and shouted racial epithets, authorities said.

''N-----, get out of the truck!'' they allegedly snarled, according to a copy of a 911 tape released Tuesday. One of the men, six feet tall and 350 pounds, tried to pull Labidou from the truck.

Moments later, Labidou, fearing for his life, pulled out his 9mm semiautomatic gun and fired, wounding the two Cooper City men -- one fatally -- in the middle of a busy Deerfield Beach intersection.

Labidou, 49, of Wellington, will not be charged because he acted in self-defense, the Broward Sheriff's Office said.

''These two men approached him with a deadly weapon in an aggressive manner,'' BSO spokesman Mike Jachles said. ``Clearly, he was inside his vehicle, and he was clearly within his right to defend himself.''

Edward Borowsky, 28, died Monday, four days after the shooting. The other man, Steven V. Lonzisero, 43, is under arrest, charged with murder during the commission of a crime. Even though he didn't pull the trigger, under Florida law, a person can be charged with murder if someone dies while the accused is committing a felony.

Lonzisero also will be charged with a hate crime, the BSO said.

Labidou has a concealed weapons permit, officials said.

The 911 tape reveals a hysterical Labidou, screaming to the dispatcher that he had been attacked.

''I shot them! I shot them!'' he yelled during the call, made just after 1 p.m. Thursday.

Labidou apologized to the dispatcher for shouting and then answered her questions.

``Both of them down, both of them are down . . . I knocked 'em both. I'm sorry, ma'am. I was trying to defend myself.''

''They said, n-----, get out of the truck. Both of them,'' Labidou said.

Asked by the dispatcher what he did, he replied: ``I shot 'em! I wanted to defend myself.''

The BSO is considering the case a hate crime because the attackers, who were white, shouted racial epithets at Labidou, who is black.

The BSO originally charged Lonzisero with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a felony. But just as Lonzisero was set to be released on bond, Borowsky died, escalating the charge to murder.

The incident happened in the middle of the afternoon as the vehicles were driving north on Powerline Road in Deerfield Beach. Lonzisero and Borowsky were in a white Ford pickup truck, along with Lonzisero's 15-year-old daughter. Labidou, who runs a family-owned roofing company, was driving a flatbed truck.

The BSO said Lonzisero and Borowsky were upset with Labidou's driving and began arguing with him. It's not clear where the vehicles were as the drivers were arguing.

But the BSO said the verbal sparring turned violent when Lonzisero stopped his truck at the intersection of Green Road and Powerline in front of Labidou's flatbed truck.

Lonzisero and Borowsky, who was armed with a knife, got out of the pickup, the BSO said.

Borowsky and Lonzisero pounded on Labidou's truck, yelling racial epithets at Labidou and trying to open his door, the BSO said. It's not clear whether Labidou fired from inside his vehicle, but the BSO said he fired several shots, striking both men twice.

The men fell to the pavement, and Labidou and several witnesses called 911.

One caller describes the scene to the 911 dispatcher: ``Two guys on the ground. One guy with the gun. He's on the phone. I don't know what happened. I didn't see what happened, but the guy is very calm.''

The caller pauses to yell, ``Put the gun down.''

''Stay away from him,'' the operator advises.

To which the caller replies: ``I am.''

Tuesday night, the upstairs lights were on in Lonzisero's home in Flamingo Townhomes Phase V. No one answered the door outside the townhome, which had Christmas bells on the door. Neighbors, who asked that their names not be used, said Lonzisero rented the unit and lived there with his three children and their mother, while Borowsky lived downstairs.

Lonzisero was in and out of the family's lives, they said. The few that knew the two men said they were confrontational.

Another said Lonzisero screamed obscenities at her one day when they were both trying to move their cars.

Labidou runs Impact Roofing in Riviera Beach, according to the company's website. It's been around since March 1999.

Miami Herald staff writers Natalie McNeal and Wanda J. DeMarzo and Antigone Barton from The Palm Beach Post contributed to this report.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Sounds like he did what he had to do. Just another day in South Florida.
    Don't know how you do it Miggy?
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Thank God he had his CHL and took control of the situation. Good for him bad for the BG. Thanks for the post Miggy!

VIP Member
    Pretty good outcome - GG is OK, one BG is down and out, the other is charged with felony murder... I disagree with hate crimes in principle, but I certainly agree with shooting the "haters" when they violently attack you with a knife.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Just another day in paradise......

Good for him!

Yes, sounds like he followed the rules and defended himself. Those guys caused the problem with the confrontation and escalated things to the point were he feared for his life. He dropped them both, there is your proof a 9mm will get the job done.

VIP Member
    Hmmm... well at least one of them won't clog the court calender since he got dead being stupid...(GDBS)

Good on the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    There is your proof a 9mm will get the job done.
    Good observation. Did anybody catch how many rounds were fired?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think a big factor is the 911 tapes...food for thought.

Rick

Senior Moderator
    Good for him, he did what he needed to do to survive
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Moderator
    Good for him, hope he is OK in the aftermath.

Fortunately for him, the vehicle is treated just as the home is under Florida's castle doctrine. While this certainly appeared to be a completely justified shooting, he's also got the very significant protections of the castle doctrine on his side as well.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

How to go from stupid to dead in 10 easy seconds. Not too bright of a thing to do, for those idiots. These predators forgot that many more prey have teeth, these days.

Kudos to the victim for keeping his wits and surviving the encounter. It surely looks like absolutely justified self-defense. A pair of violent 'ragers are holding lethal weapons and banging on your car demanding you exit? This response is a suitable one.

Merry Christmas.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I think a big factor is the 911 tapes...food for thought.
    Agreed.

I'm really bad about not carrying my cell on me.
    I need to work on this.

BTW nice example of a parent to child engaging in 7th grade style road ragery then jumping out of your truck with your buddy armed with a knife to attack a person...only to be shot down in the streets, right in front of your child.
    Nice.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Good on Labidou, two more scumbags off the streets.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links