Bad: Burglary victim told not to put up security 'in case it injures criminals' (UK)

Bad: Burglary victim told not to put up security 'in case it injures criminals' (UK)

This is a discussion on Bad: Burglary victim told not to put up security 'in case it injures criminals' (UK) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by the Rugby Advertiser: * Published Date: 20 December 2007 * * Location: Rugby Burglary victim told not to put up security 'in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Burglary victim told not to put up security 'in case it injures criminals' (UK)

As reported by the Rugby Advertiser:

* Published Date: 20 December 2007

Burglary victim told not to put up security 'in case it injures criminals'

A CHURCH Lawford woman recovering from a multi-thousand pound raid claims she was refused permission by police to install tighter security measures - in case it injured returning thieves.

As reported last week, the woman had antiques and personal items worth 'thousands' stolen from her home last month while she tended to her cancer-ridden brother.

Rugby Police investigated and gave the woman a crime-fighting manual advising on upgrading security.

However, when she enquired about installing a new security fence at her home, she was informed occupier liability rules meant she risked investigation herself if trespassers hurt themselves climbing over it.

The woman, who has asked to remain anonymous, said: "If I have got to live behind locked doors for the rest of my life, I hope the rest of my life isn't very long. But why would I want my house safe for these people? It's crazy."

Offenders raided the woman's house after smashing through a security gate several feet high and breaking through windows.

As well as valuable antiques, they also
    took wedding rings belonging to the woman and her now deceased-parents.

Police investigated and gave the divorcee a copy of Warwickshire Police's 'Operation Impact' manual, giving victims information on crime-fighting techniques and activities.

The woman later asked if she could install a new gate, complete with barbed wire or carpet gripper, to prevent further thieves climbing over.
    However, the guide says she could risk prosecution herself if the trespassers hurt themselves on the beefed-up gate.

She said: "I respect that if the postman or the gas man calls, they don't expect to hurt himself. But I was speechless - you couldn't make it up. I think these laws show we have gone soft in the head."

Police advised the woman to fit alarms and are continuing investigations.

Adequate home security advice for homeowners is available from Rugby Police Station in Newbold Road.

The story can be found at; http://www.rugbytoday.co.uk/news/Bur...-to.3608104.jp

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    When will the UK just sink into the sea? We'll take the half dozen sane ones they have left over here, no problem!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - that's UK mentality for you.

In fact I seem to recall even way back when I was still a subject there - there was contraversy over folks who had the old garden wall with broken glass on top. ''Oh my - someone gaining access for trespass (or worse) might be injured"!!!!!!

How crazy can things get - tell ya what - why don't we send out a flier to all crooks in USA - ''Easy pickings in UK guys" .......... mind you my daughter is still there and grandkids so maybe not - but you get my drift!

One day - if not soon - the victims will truly be the criminals.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

UK, just wants Sheep.

VIP Member

It's worse than you think over the pond......

Here is a story I ran across yesterday from the UK: (now they make the victims house the criminals in their homes)
    A convicted criminal has moved in with a married couple against their wishes after giving their address in court as his home.

Shane Sims, 19, has spent the last few days living with Brenda and Robert Cole after he was sentenced to a week's curfew for breaching a supervision order.

But the couple claim the first they knew about it was when Sims, a friend of their daughter, moved in on Thursday – followed by security contractors who put a box in a bedroom to monitor his movements with an ankle tag.

Mrs Cole, 47, said: 'It's turned our lives upside down. He's taken over the whole place. He sprawls across the sofa and he's always in the bathroom when you need it. It's an absolute disgrace. They've let a criminal come into our home and there is nothing we can do about it.'

Sims appeared before magistrates last Thursday where he admitted breaching a two-year supervision order imposed for assault.

He gave the Coles' Bristol address as his bail address but the Probation Service did not verify it.

Sims claims he was told he could stay by the Coles' 16-year-old daughter Tanya after he fell out with his father.

He allegedly told Mrs Cole: 'I'm staying here until the tag's off. There's damn all you can do about it. The courts have told me to.'

The court said it was looking into the situation but police said they could not act without a court warrant.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Thats outrageous! Are the French even this whack?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Yep - that's UK mentality for you.

In fact I seem to recall even way back when I was still a subject there - there was contraversy over folks who had the old garden wall with broken glass on top. ''Oh my - someone gaining access for trespass (or worse) might be injured"!!!!!!
    They use it in southern Spain. I think it's a good idea. You wouldn't ever see me trying to climb over those walls.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

How does these idiots, who calls themselves "politicians", and makes the laws, get elected in Britain ?

SMH

Told by the state to NOT install tighter security due to the possibility that the next felonious intruders might be injured?

God almighty. One would think this is the bottom, but I hardly think so in the case of no-longer-great Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    UK, just wants Sheep.
    And dead innocents, it would appear. Not one breath is uttered when terrorists attempt to negotiate, but bending over backwards to appease common criminals has become a new art form there. Hm. Worth ignoring utterly, if it weren't for the fact that much of the same holier-than-thou stupidity exists in my own country.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Told by the state to NOT install tighter security due to the possibility that the next felonious intruders might be injured?

God almighty. One would think this is the bottom, but I hardly think so in the case of no-longer-great Britain.

And dead innocents, it would appear. Not one breath is uttered when terrorists attempt to negotiate, but bending over backwards to appease common criminals has become a new art form there. Hm. Worth ignoring utterly, if it weren't for the fact that much of the same holier-than-thou stupidity exists in my own country.
    Exactly... Remember folks...if we're not careful, all this stuff we see over the pond could well be like a looking glass into our not too distant future.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    How does these idiots, who calls themselves "politicians", and makes the laws, get elected in Britain ?

SMH
    Pretty much the same way some of them get elected here.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Exactly... Remember folks...if we're not careful, all this stuff we see over the pond could well be like a looking glass into our not too distant future.
    Yeah....and they can have my guns hot and empty...ammo first.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

here in Germany if someone attacks you with a knive you are supposed to run, but if you fight off the attack you are in deep doodoo
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Future? Been to California lately.......?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    OK. Try this.

Find out where the criminal lives who stole all your stuff. Break into his house. "Injure" yourself and then sue him to get back all your stuff. You should win because now you are the criminal and you have more rights than he does.

Sadly, I bet that would work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links