The judge...said there is no excuse to bring a gun to the beach

This is a discussion on The judge...said there is no excuse to bring a gun to the beach within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...NEWS/712210339 "Shooter on Coquina Beach won't go to prison He hit no one, and is to testify at another's trial By MICHAEL A. SCARCELLA BRADENTON ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The judge...said there is no excuse to bring a gun to the beach

The judge...said there is no excuse to bring a gun to the beach

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...NEWS/712210339

"Shooter on Coquina Beach won't go to prison

He hit no one, and is to testify at another's trial
    By MICHAEL A. SCARCELLA

BRADENTON -- One of two alleged gang associates accused of opening fire on a crowded beach on Easter was sentenced Thursday to house arrest and probation in a plea deal that a judge said was more lenient than the punishment he would have ordered.

Circuit Judge Edward Nicholas said he would have sentenced the shooter, Santiago Delgado Jr., 22, to serve a jail or prison stint even though Delgado does not have a criminal history and he was not the gunman whose bullets struck beachgoers.

"You are fortunate, at least in my opinion, to have persuaded the prosecutor that you're deserving of a considerable break here," Nicholas said in court Thursday.

The shooting on Coquina Beach deeply angered police and residents and prompted debate about how to make Manatee County beaches safer. Among other things, the county spent more than $500,000 bolstering police patrols and installing gated sections to divide the beach's mile-long parking lot.

Nicholas said in court he is tired of hearing about teenagers and young men running around Manatee with loaded guns in their pockets "as if they were car keys." The judge called Delgado's crime "particularly aggravating" and said there is no excuse to bring a gun to the beach.

"There is simply no good to come of that decision," Nicholas said.

An assistant state attorney, Jeff Quisenberry, said a "major part" of why the Delgado plea deal did not include incarceration was due to Delgado being a critical witness in the prosecution of the other accused shooter, Rene Vasquez Mendoza, who is charged with attempted murder.

Police say Vasquez opened fire, striking and seriously injuring three men in what authorities called gang-related violence. Delgado said he fired into the ground, dropped his gun and ran. His attorney said he panicked.

The victims, flown to trauma centers, did not suffer life-threatening injuries.

Nicholas said he was obligated to agree to the negotiated sentence in Delgado's case. But he vowed he would impose a significant prison sentence if Delgado violates his probation.

Delgado, whose father was in court, did not address the judge. He pleaded guilty to carrying a concealed weapon and other charges.

Nicholas ordered Delgado to testify truthfully against Vasquez at his trial, scheduled for February. Prosecutors said Delgado has already provided at least two statements to sheriff's investigators.

Quisenberry acknowledged that Delgado is exposing himself to great risk by cooperating with the prosecution.

Delgado's attorney, Leslie Sammis, said Delgado, who lives in Plant City, knew members of the Norte gang but was not a part of the group. Sammis said the gathering at Coquina on Easter was a "known gang event."

"He should not have taken a gun to the beach, certainly," Sammis said in court. "There is no good explanation. That shouldn't have happened."

Delgado lost a couple of jobs after the shooting and now works in Lakeland, Sammis said. She said Delgado is trying to redeem himself.

Nicholas did not make Delgado a felon, a move that is standard for first-time felony offenders."

Hmm, I can think of a good reason to bring a gun to the beach...
    in case of scumbags like this!
    Last edited by miklcolt45; December 21st, 2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added detail
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...NEWS/712210339

"Hmm, I can think of a good reason to bring a gun to the beach...
    in case of scumbags like this!

EXACTLY!
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

IWB or OWB

Quote Originally Posted by badmojo View Post
    EXACTLY!
    SO with a speedo should I go with IWB or OWB carry at the beach??

Quote Originally Posted by badmojo View Post
    EXACTLY!
    +1

I guess BGs don't work when their at the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Umm, how 'bout forget the speedo, and go with jeans and long-sleeve shirt. Especially if you're one of them yankees.

Beaches look terrible down here what with all the white legs, white socks and red backs and faces!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Umm, how 'bout forget the speedo, and go with jeans and long-sleeve shirt. Especially if you're one of them yankees.

Beaches look terrible down here what with all the white legs, white socks and red backs and faces!
    I'm certainly not a YANKEE, I live in Colorado, but I grew up in Eastern Kentucky. So call me a hillbilly and I'll skip the speedo.

BAC
    I dunno, it's almost like a safari where you're finding new species. "Look at the red back on that one!" "Oh, must be an alpha male...."

-B

what with all the white legs

We call that a "moon tan"

BGs never stop working, so neither should we. This article raises a good question for the folks in the warmer areas: How do you conceal at the beach?
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

AMH
    Go with a Smart Carry, no bathing suit will be needed!
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

I'm certainly not a YANKEE, I live in Colorado, but I grew up in Eastern Kentucky. So call me a hillbilly and I'll skip the speedo.
    Ya'll can call yourself anything you want.
    We still don't need any more scrawny white butts down here from November to April.

As a bumper sticker I saw put it, "If it's tourist season, why CAN'T we shoot them?"

Albert Einstein

(from the article) Nicholas said in court he is tired of hearing about teenagers and young men running around Manatee with loaded guns in their pockets "as if they were car keys." The judge called Delgado's crime "particularly aggravating" and said there is no excuse to bring a gun to the beach.
    Huh!!??

I would think this is precisely the reason why one needs to carry to the beach - especially if one is a law-abiding citizen!

It seems the beaches are being taken over by the wrong crowd and the authorities are losing the battle.
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that . . . it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. . . ." Letter from Thomas Jefferson to Justice John Cartwright (June 5, 1824)

I know Coquina Beach very well ... used to be a haunt of mine back when I lived in Hardee County. The very best near-shore rock reef on that part of the Gulf Coast is there. It's got a little burger stand, lots of free parking, a lifeguard tower, a little swing-set ... everything you need to entertain your family for a day.

The trouble isn't with the guns. Best I can tell the guns don't shoot themselves. But, they let these low-lifes hang around in the parking lot selling drugs, harassing people, cranking stereos, and turning a perfect place into a hell-hole. Can they ask these people to leave? Of course not. Much easier to have a shooting every now and then than to make them leave. Even easier to blame everyone who didn't do it.

Run a query of news reports toward specifically beach area attacks, assaults, abductions, and murders.
    Beaches and beach parking lots are akin to shopping malls and WalMart parking lots in so far as occurrences of crime and violence is concerned.
    The only public space more commonly assumed to be safe and which is in actuality not are bicycle and jogging/walking trails.

On the surface carry to the beach might seem and sound silly but then so does the SmartCarry and Under Cover Comfort shirt holster and carrying into malls, churches, nature trails, and as a student or employee on to college campuses too.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    ... But, they let these low-lifes hang around in the parking lot selling drugs, harassing people, cranking stereos, and turning a perfect place into a hell-hole. Can they ask these people to leave? Of course not....
    If they are doing that, there must be laws the authorities can use to arrest them, or maybe patrol constantly. After all, dealing drugs, harrassment, and disturbing the peace ought to be enough to make arrests without waiting for things to deteriorate to a shooting. If the thugs get constantly hassled by the cops maybe they'll go someplace else and let the families have it back?

Surely, things shouldn't have to escalate to shootings until more proactive measures are taken. It's obvious there are bad characters there. A police presence should be as well.
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that . . . it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. . . ." Letter from Thomas Jefferson to Justice John Cartwright (June 5, 1824)

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    We still don't need any more scrawny white butts down here from November to April.
    I'll have you know that my white butt is anything BUT scrawny....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links