If you don't have a gun, use a Pitbull

This is a discussion on If you don't have a gun, use a Pitbull within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=7526515 Home invasion in Dayville Posted Dec. 20, 2007 4:40 PM Dayville (WTNH) _ Police are looking for two men that stormed a Dayville home ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you don't have a gun, use a Pitbull

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

If you don't have a gun, use a Pitbull

http://wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=7526515

Home invasion in Dayville

Posted Dec. 20, 2007
    4:40 PM

Dayville (WTNH) _ Police are looking for two men that stormed a Dayville home this morning while a father and his infant were inside.

It happened around 9:15 a.m. on Ballouville Road. Police say two suspects forced their way into the home, pushing the 20-year old victim to the ground and demanding money.

The victim's pit bull reportedly bit one the suspects and they fled, possibly in a black SUV.

Nothing was taken from the home.

The suspects are described as black males in their late 20s. They were wearing bandanas over their faces. If you have any information, please call Troop D at 860-779-4944.

About 30 miles from the house in a middle class neighborhood. All the more reason to stay armed in the house.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Sounds like one smart pitbull -- did EXACTLY what was needed.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Should be plenty of DNA evidence to help convict the BGs when caught.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The most common unknown is that pit bulls are one of the most common breeds in shelters because THEY PASS THE TEMPERAMENT testS WITH FLYING COLORS! Moreso than any other breed, pits and bully breed-type dogs are the most successful when being tested for compatibility with humans. ...that doesn't mean they'll like other dogs, though :)

I've told all my friends this, but pits are the best dogs, hands down. Predictable as all get out. It doesn't matter what they act like, so long as the behavior is predictable, you as the owner can manage appropriately. Not only that, it's the only breed you can put your hands on when they're injured and not get bit...their horrible background is why that's bred in to them.

They're not outside dogs, though, I don't care what anybody says. Mine shivers uncontrollably on a 50-degree day and gets sick if left outside when it's cooler. Single-coat, short-haired dogs are worthless in the cold for long periods of time.

I maintain that the "killer pit bulls" that make the news are always raised by people who leave them outside, tied up, or both, and don't socialize. Stupid, cruel, or neglectful owners with this breed make a bad combination.

Pardon the rant, but the soap box comes out every time somebody says something good or bad about bully dogs.

I love my 55-lb muscle machine! It's like giving the wife a gun she can actually control, and snuggles pretty well, too.

Excellent. Hope there are some New York Strips on the dog's menu for excellent work.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Assistant Administrator
    Pardon the rant, but the soap box comes out every time somebody says something good or bad about bully dogs.
    That's OK - as long we don't degenerate into (yet) another good dog/bad dog thread.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

it warms my heart to hear stories like this. my pit bull was a big baby, but he save my hide at least twice. i miss that dog...

Best Dogs In The World!

I have 5 pit bulls and rescued them all. They would do anything for me! Im glad this story doesnt make the dog out to be the bad guy.

Breed specific legislation is to dogs what 'assault weapons bans' are to guns. The dog is not the problem, the owner who abuses the dog or uses it for criminal purposes or dog fighting is the problem.

Administrator
    Oh yeah? My Jack Russell can kick your pits behind.

Really though, most pits I run across are big babies... just like the rotts, GSD's etc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This just in...

The Pitbulls '2'

Dirtbags 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They usually make for good vehicle security also.

Administrator

Post Presented Just as an FYI - Interesting

Not really "up to date" but, I'm pretty sure the averages are still about the same. Though I'm guessing the overall #s have increased especially regarding the Pit since so many people own them now as compared to past years but, I agree that dogs ARE the direct reflection of their owners.

Facts & Stats about Dog Bites & Dog Aggression
    There are approximately 4.5 million reported dog bites annually in the United States (nearly 2% of the American population). The majority of dog bites are never reported to local authorities.

40% of American dog owners acquired pets primarily for protection-including German shepherds, Rottweilers, mastiffs and Doberman pinschers. (Source: New York Times, 2/26/01)

Nationwide, U.S. Postal Service carriers suffered 3,423 dog attacks and bites in 2003.

According to the American Medical Association, dog bites are the second leading cause of childhood injury, surpassing playground accidents.

Dog bites to people of the male gender are approximately two times greater than the incidence involving females.

Dogs that are licensed with an identifiable owner are implicated in the vast majority of dog bites (compared with strays).

Dogs not known to the victim account for approximately 10 - 20% of all reported dog bites.

Dog between one and five years are involved in more dog bite incidences than dogs older than 6 years. Male dogs are more frequently involved when compared with female dogs.

Mixed breeds and not pure bred dogs are the type of dog most often involved in inflicting bites to people. The pure-bred dogs most often involved are German shepherds and Chow chows.

The list of breeds most involved in both bite injuries and fatalities changes from year to year and from one area of the country to another, depending on the popularity of the breed.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention document that a chained dog is 2.8 times more likely to bite than an unchained dog. Click here for a news story about a mauling of a 4 year old child by a chained pit bull

Canines not spayed or neutered are three times more likely to bite than sterilized ones.

Of the estimated 4.7 million people who were bitten by dogs in 1994, 800,000 sought medical care. Of these, 332,000 needed treatment in emergency rooms, and 6,000 were hospitalized. The average hospital stay for a dog-bite injury was 3.6 days.

Emergency room costs for dog bite victims in the United States was about $102 million in 1994, and overall direct medical costs was about $165 million.

The majority of dog bites to adult humans are inflicted to the lower extremities followed by bites to the upper extremities including the head, face and neck. For children, 77% of dog bite injuries are to facial areas.

According to the Insurance Information Institute, dog bites accounted for about one-quarter of all claims on homeowner's insurance, costing more than $321 million in 2003. In 2002, the latest year for which numbers are available, the average claim for a dog bite was $16,600.

Dog attacks account for one-third of all liability claims on homeowners' insurance policies. According to the Western Insurance Information Service, the insurance industry paid out more than $1 billion in dog-bite claims in 1998 alone.

From 1979 to 1996, dog attacks resulted in more than 300 human dog bite related deaths in the United States. Most of the victims were children.

Approximately 20 people die every year as a result of a dog attack in the United States. By far, the majority of the victims are children.

In the two year period from 1997 to 1998, twenty-seven people died as a result of dog bite attacks (18 in 1997, and 9 in 1998).

Annually in the United States there are approximately 20 human fatalities directly resulting from a dog attack; this number is miniscule compared with human fatalities caused by gunshot (approximately 12,000 annually), accidents (approximately 100,000 annually) or health related disease processes (click here for table) (Click here for commentary on this subject)

The breeds most often involved in fatal attacks are Rottweilers and Pit bulls.

In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks.

Of the 27 people who died as a result of dog bite attacks in 1997 and 1998, 67% involved unrestrained dogs on the owner's property; 19% involved unrestrained dogs off the owner's property; 11% involved restrained dogs on the owner's property; and 4% involved a restrained dog off the owner's property.

Of the 27 people who died as a result of dog bite attacks during 1997 and 1998, 67% involved an attack by one dog; 19% involved an attack by two dogs; and 15% involved an attack by 3 or more dogs.

From 1979 to 1998, at least 25 breeds of dogs have been involved in bite related deaths. Pit Bulls and Rottweilers were involved in more than 50 percent of these incidences.

In a study reported by a retired professor from California State University at Chino, Robert Plum, it was found that one dog in 55 will bite someone seriously during the course of a year. With respect to breed differences in the tendency to inflict serious injury, Plumb estimates that when a pit bull bites a human, one in 16 (e.g. 1/16) will inflict serious injury; this contrasts with a ratio of 1/296 Dobermans, and 1/156 German shepherds.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

[QUOTE=SIXTO;568432]Oh yeah? My Jack Russell can kick your pits behind.[QUOTE]

Heh, that's probably true. I doubt there's a stronger prey drive in the canine world than that of a JRT.

My son and his wife recently 'aquired' the sicklyest looking pitbull pup I've ever seen....skin, bones, and totaly lathargic. Four months later, several vet visits, and BUSHELS of the expensive puppy food....that dog is best family pet they could've gotten. Loves and plays with all the kids, very alert and watchful, and as much energy as my neighbors jack russell. Also the most well behaved pup too....He's my 'grandpup' so I make sure he gets spoiled when my boy brings him over.

Most of the pits I've been exposed too were wonderful family pets. It's the thugs who want a mean status symbol....that and "Michael Vick" syndrom of the SOB's who fight the dogs is where the bad breed status came from. Well also the inbreeding. I read somewhere that dalmations and poodles are the breeds most often involved in dog bites. I dunno anything about dalmations, but poodles are mean!

BRAVO ZULU on the pit protecting HIS pack!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links