Wolves attack two women and their dogs - Page 2

Wolves attack two women and their dogs

This is a discussion on Wolves attack two women and their dogs within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If I heard it correctly the wolves attacked the dog who survived well with some bite cuts ... the wolves did not attack the girls ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolves attack two women and their dogs

If I heard it correctly the wolves attacked the dog who survived well with some bite cuts ... the wolves did not attack the girls who wisely carried pepper and tried to deploy it.

Pepper is very good stuff, stopping 17 out of 17 real life close in grizz attacks and in test cases. Works great on Rotts and other attack mutts .. haven't tried it on pits tho. Should work very well on wolves.

In the AK backcountry where I fish, kayak and hike ... I carry the 44 mag with 300 gr rounds AND pepper.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

VIP Member
    Yup, shotgun territory for sure!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Yup, shotgun territory for sure!
    It's tough to jog with a shotgun but real easy to run with common sense.

Had these ladies read the literal and highly visible hand written warning sign and actually comprehended it there would have been no story. Three adults and not one of them had the as based on results ability to think hey this might not be a good idea considering our location and the warning signs indication.
    I'd be willing to bet a years salary that half (50%) of victims mistaken for game by wolves be they two legged or four are just like this scenario where there were literal warning signs and clues available indicating danger do not go forth that people for what ever ignorant and stupid reason they choose to ignore. Then when they OMG find themselves shortly thereafter to be knee deep in dung they by result of choice place themselves behind the curve and their life at the mercy of luck, chance, or choice of the wolf to that day not punch their card.

With a healthy dose of 'street smarts' (street in the sense of life & living lesson learning), awareness of ones surroundings (as opposed to running through life with blinders and rose colored glasses on), and recognition of life & living fact these women could and would have wholly avoided this situation altogether.

This situation and video presents IMHO an excellent learning lesson for everyone in the sense of being a person in this world walking the earth amongst all it's obstacles and predators. It literally is a dog eat dog world, even amongst serenity and beauty such as the wilds of Alaska.
    These wolves very easily could have been humanoid and the victims they could have been anyone at any place on earth.

Be safe out there, and street smart.

- Janq

"They were not afraid of us. They were really close...And they were so quiet. They just came right up on us. They just came right up on us. They were quick....They were not afraid of us." - The Victims
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Maybe they were both thinking they only had to outrun the other!!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Maybe they were both thinking they only had to outrun the other!!
    Note the one lady who's dog was mauled stated in the report she thought and wondered if she should leave the wolves the dog which it seemed they wanted as opposed to leaving she and her friends there to possibly save the dog and themselves become meat.

All she'd have to do is out run her dog, in a literal sense.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    DumbA$$! if you see a warning sign and still go into the wild unprepared then you get what you asked for. They were very lucky.
    i agree, the wolves were obviously after the dogs for a meal.there has never even been a report of wolves attacking humans that i am aware of.i guess these two dumbos think people just go around posting signs warning about wild animals so they can be ignored..
    these two women are to blame here not the wolves,they are only doing what their instincts tell them to.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Great post and link for all to see. Federal BLM, Forest Service and State of Alaska, all allow/require firearms training for personal protection.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    It's tough to jog with a shotgun but real easy to run with common sense.
    That's true... I guess the biggest mistake was ignoring the signs followed by taking the dogs.

But I still think it's "shotgun territory".
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    there has never even been a report of wolves attacking humans that i am aware of.
    You are correct, to a point. In the U.S., there has never been a documented case of a wild wolf attacking a human.

There have been documented cases of habituated wolves attacking humans. These are wolves that have lost their natural fear of humans, either by contact or feeding.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

There were some claims of attacks during some really severe winters in northern Canada back in the 60's but I no longer have the references for them. Besides, facts like that will upset peoples fantasy of the noble wolf. Shoot fire folks they are pack based predators. Hungry enough they can be unpredictable as any other predator in the right circumstances. Habituated to people as quasi pets would be even worse.

It isn't just Alaska either. I spent enough wilderness time in the WY Rockies to know you always carried a weapon there. One game ranger on federal land (where weapons were forbidden) asked me in town one time if I had at least a .357 on me up in the mountains. I told him it was always in a special rig right under my pack flap where I could reach up and draw it. He said that was good. In those days the rangers only made an issue if they could openly see it. They figured you were stupid if you were wandering around up there unarmed.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Looks like soccer mom mentality has spread to the wilds of Alaska.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    It's entirely possible that this occurance took place on a FEDERAL installation such as Elmendorf AFB or Fort Richardson.

If that was the case, being armed was probably a no-no.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Senior Moderator
    If that was the case, being armed was probably a no-no.
    Well...when I was up to my tail in wolves and they were trying to chomp me, I'm sure that the fact that I was obeyeing the law would make me feel better.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    You are correct, to a point. In the U.S., there has never been a documented case of a wild wolf attacking a human.

There have been documented cases of habituated wolves attacking humans. These are wolves that have lost their natural fear of humans, either by contact or feeding.
    Wolves have attacked people up here recently. I will try to find a link.

QUOTE=Ride4TheBrand;571180]It's entirely possible that this occurance took place on a FEDERAL installation such as Elmendorf AFB or Fort Richardson.

If that was the case, being armed was probably a no-no.[/QUOTE]

I saw several news stories on this. A few said it occurred on the Elemendorf/Fort Richardson military reservation. The others said it occurred in Eagle River which is just north of the post. Maybe the women couldn't carry after all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links